MartinRosen

Camera question - jumping with Hard Drive cameras

Hey.
I just found a nice Full HD Camera with a harddrivestorage instead of a DV-tape.

Is there anyone who knows anything about jumping with HardDrive-cameras. How they could react down and up-sides.

Id like to know if there could be problems with using a HardDrive camera.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

be careful with HDD, some have a "freefall sensor" which will block the hard disk so it doesn't get damaged when the camera falls...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

be careful with HDD, some have a "freefall sensor" which will block the hard disk so it doesn't get damaged when the camera falls...

I thought even the tape-based cameras were already equiped with such a shock-detector system, thus blocking the recording / the transfer to tape, of the memory buffer ?
Nico

Don't skydive with it... will ruin the Harddrive
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

So what is the problem.

Is it that the harddrive psysicly doesnt stand the opening chocks or the beating the camera takes? Or is it this new freefall protection?

Another thing that sucks with the HardDrive models is that it lacks the DV/digital in , function. wich is a must when you are out travelling. I think ill stay with the DV-tape models anyway.

To bad the Sony HDV HC1 doesnt exist anymore, only the new plastic crap-model with a bad lencé.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

I thought even the tape-based cameras were already equiped with such a shock-detector system, thus blocking the recording / the transfer to tape, of the memory buffer ?

would it buffer a 1 minute skydive ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

This has been discussed in the Photo/video forum, but in short the HD can't take the pressure changes.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

would it buffer a 1 minute skydive ?

This is not what I suggest. I only heard that even with a tape storage, the camera stores one or two seconds in a buffer, then transfers it to tape. It is not a real-time writing.
I guess this applies to modern tape-based cameras, but not that modern...
Nico

hard drive can not take the shock (G-load ) of a base canopy
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

I own a 30gig HDD camera, its awesome

how ever I haven't parachuted with it and wouldn't
for one the opening shock would cause it to kick in protection to protect the hard drive which is pretty much a spinning disc and a needle.

I had mine in a drunken mosh pit and jump up and down caused it to stop recording and popup an alert "the camera has blah blah blah, do you wish to save the footage" and unfortunately I didn't lose my drunken antics.

also note if you have a hard drive and go in, the hard drive will definitely not survive impact and where a tape may be sliced together to see how you fucked up etc, the HDD will not be fixable.

what about that CSI shit? zoom and enhance, you know?

cant they like, glue it together if you go in?

Don't do it..... we took one to Mexico this year just for un, and the HC-7's did such a better job it was amazing!! The HDD cameras wouldn't even take worthy road video..

See you somewhere scary soon i hope......
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com