cesslon

aussies busted

What an unbelievable building! 80, stories, right on a sandy beach.
It would be worth it to rent a unit just to jump that thing.

Q1 Resort & Spa… OPENING SEPTEMBER 2005. Inspirational. Breathtaking. Stunning. Offering 80 levels of luxury one, two and three bedroom apartment accommodation with state of the art enclosed glass balconies, daily service and unparalleled resort facilities in a central Surfers Paradise beachfront location.

Set amidst one hectare of lush tropical landscaped grounds featuring two lagoon swimming pools, a natural white sandy beach and sculptured waterfalls, Q1 Resort and Spa has a complete range of facilities including: Retail precinct, Restaurants, bars and cafes, Conferencing facilities, Indoor lap pool, spa, sauna, steam room and state-of-the-art fitness room, Day Spa, Theatrette, Childrens games room.

The Q1 Observation Deck on levels 77 and 78 offer visitors a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience where spectacular views from the surf to the hinterland and beyond are the order of the day.

Q1 Resort & Spa; Where urban chic meets the beach.

I was just there 2 weeks ago sitting in a spa at hotel nearby and looking up at the blue sky and the sandy beach right next to the perfect looking exit points dreaming.....sux they got busted.

yes sir... it pays to pay attention,,,
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

F#@* the police...now that was a good song!
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

Boys from the Wollongong area, I know a couple of well known BASErs rom that way, I wonder if W&D are out of pocket
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just because there was a bust doesn't mean you have to name the site and post images of it...

I mean, this was a one time thing...I doubt anyone has jumped it before, and no one ever will again.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Seriously,
How do you know nobody has ever jumped it before??

How do you know if secretly, the developers may be considering allowing periodic "events" including BASE, in return for some respect in the form of abstinence of jumping outside possible sanctioned events??

C. (just my $0.02 AUD)

I don't think posting information that was already obvious in the article

( "The Q 1 Building on the Gold Coast")

is going to compromise this site. It is not exactly an obscure cliff or local antenna or something like that.

It is not exactly an obscure cliff or local antenna or something like that.

He hadn't heard about before, but now that he's read about it here, my fiancé John is going to go jump it.
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

Seriously,
How do you know nobody has ever jumped it before??C. (just my $0.02 AUD)

I think you missed what I was getting at...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

How do you know if secretly, the developers may be considering allowing periodic "events" including BASE, in return for some respect in the form of abstinence of jumping outside possible sanctioned events??

C. (just my $0.02 AUD)

That is such a fucked up approach i don't know where to even start. Legal sanctioned events will come and go. They are a bonus. Bandit jumping is the lifesblood of BASE. Go down the route you just suggested and you'll be held by the bollocks forever, afraid to do anything to upset the authorities in case they snatch away your legal site.

Are you seriously suggesting we all abstain from jumping all buildings JUST IN CASE someone might be organising "in secret" some legal event.

Think about what you just said carefully. It's utter nonsense and to me is pretty much the antithesis of what BASE jumping is about.

ian

C. (just my $0.02 AUD)

That is such a fucked up approach i don't know where to even start. Legal sanctioned events will come and go. They are a bonus. Bandit jumping is the lifesblood of BASE. Go down the route you just suggested and you'll be held by the bollocks forever, afraid to do anything to upset the authorities in case they snatch away your legal site.

Are you seriously suggesting we all abstain from jumping all buildings JUST IN CASE someone might be organising "in secret" some legal event.

Think about what you just said carefully. It's utter nonsense and to me is pretty much the antithesis of what BASE jumping is about.

ian

Those were my thoughts exactly. Thanks for expressing them. It is one thing if there is a legitimate chance of a object being sanctioned for a legal event; but realistically, these are rare.

In my hometown, there was a high profile site that a local was working on opening, so it would have ruined his chances if some would have jumped it during that negotiation process. But the locals knew he was trying to do get it sanctioned, so it was known that it would have been off-limits during that time.

Otherwise, if anyone could get on it, go for it (is basically the understood philosophy around here).

I suspect the original poster may have been sarcastic though (maybe not).

If that was sarcasm then it was well disguised.

Just sounded like an ill conceived brain fart to me, the logical conclusion of which is nobody bandit jumps anything ever, for fear of jeopardizing the remote possibility of an unconfirmed and highly secret legal event.

If a specific event is in the offing then it would be a pretty good idea to let other jumpers in on the secret, so they can then make an informed decision as to whether steering clear of a specific site is worth the potential rewards.

Even if that is the case, any single jumper is well within their rights to not abide by the event organisers requests and an organiser of such an event should be realistic and factor into any negotiations with a site owner the "bandit variable" as they do not have control or jurisdiction over all other jumpers and to try and make out that they do during negotiations is to risk a huge backfire which will make them look not only inept but liars to boot when "one of their own" goes against the agreement. That may not be popular but that is the way it is. The harsh reality is that why should all jumpers abstain from a site when only some jumpers will receive an invite to the sanctioned event.

BASE jumping exists because it doesn't require permission. Legal events and legal sites will come and go but bandit jumping is the only guaranteed way to ensure the survival of BASE for a new generation. It's the DNA of us as a species and that's why they haven't been able to stamp us out yet, despite the best efforts of the do-gooders, conservative fear-mongers, compensation lawyers and health and safety officials.

ian

mabe just mabe add basejumpers have no sense of humor that im aware of

I don't think he was talking about "event" events... more so bribes and pay offs and scandals!

but that's just what i interpreted out of the post.

Court appearance May 1. With regard to out-of-pocket, you'll probably be correct with one person you've mentioned. This is based on knowledge of the local authority's attitude.

Higher profile jumper of the 2 concerned, has stated to a particular media outlet he will not give an in-depth story unless they are prepared to pay his fines.

IMHO good luck to him, feel his approach is correct with regard to that media outlet.

Blue ones,
Corey