SkyDivinRyan

Miles Daisher

I called him up and started asking questions about his FJC. and it seemed to be very informative. also he stated that he did have regulations that he stood by to ensure safety for us. Now after all this I did a quick searched which ended up being a hour long ready on a post regarding his ethics. My question is have they changed ....have you opinions changed... Im not posting to start another post war I just want ot know if anythings changed since 2004. IM curious to find out what course to take thanks. Ya Ive pretty much made my decision but I would love to know thanks Blues

well im just going to remove this there seems to be a pattern insueing Ive made my choice and if you must know pm me haha

IM curious to find out what course to take thanks.

The best advice I've heard in this area is "why not take both?" -- which is probably what I'll do, when the time comes. "Be prepared!" B|
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

FJCs are good, but there really isn't anything better than a true mentorship. Find a local mentor that is willing to spend a few months or more with you to teach you everything you need to start with a minimum knowledge to be safe.

I met with mine on Sunday nights at the Dropzone to work on packing and have discussions for months.

When everything checked out in those categories, he took me to Perine and taught me how to exit and the ethics of BASE.

Beyond that I was continuously handed off to other very trusted jumpers to get a variety of objects in.

I believe now, almost 100 jumps into my BASE career that I had a very solid upbringing into this wonderful sport.
-Taylor
"Can't plan fantastic!!!!!"

I took a FJC from Miles late last year. While some people deride him for taking on students who don't have the experience necessary to safely learn to BASE jump, my impression of Miles is that he looks at each student individually, rather than applying raw numbers as a requirement.

Miles is a very sharp guy, and very safety conscious. I learned a ton from him, and feel confident in my pack job, body position, and whatnot, after his course of instruction.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about his course from the point of view of one of his students.

well im just going to remove this there seems to be a pattern insueing Ive made my choice and if you must know pm me haha

Haha what? Did I miss the joke? Was your post a joke?

Why get involved in a mud slinging contest before you've even entered the sport???
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

he took me to Perine and taught me how to exit and the ethics of BASE. ...

If only he'd taught you to make sure your shoes were on tight for long slider off delays... haha

See you at the perrine Memorial Day?

_justin

he took me to Perine and taught me how to exit and the ethics of BASE. ...

If only he'd taught you to make sure your shoes were on tight for long slider off delays... haha

See you at the perrine Memorial Day?

:D:D:D:D:D

_justin

:D:D Shoes are overrated if you ask me.

HAHAHA! Three good things came from that jump... Hurdling a shoe over the top of my canopy, watching my other shoe hit the water without me in it, and walking out in socks!!!! GREAT TIMES!!!!

See ya for sure Justin!! :)
-Taylor

with 1800+ base jumps to his credit, and some bitchen new aspects incorporated into the FJC for the summer (skydives from planes and balloon) it is hard to argue that any other course rivals Mile's D's BASE camp.

what are those new teaching aspects? like i've stated here before, I'm curious what other teaching techniques are being used, with the idea of improvement and standardization.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

When I took the course from Miles, he and I talked a bit about skydiving a BASE canopy. He called up a rigger buddy and asked him if he had a student container that could hold such a large canopy. I bet this is the end result of that idea. I don't believe Snake River Skydiving was open at the time.

...he and I talked a bit about skydiving a BASE canopy. He called up a rigger buddy and asked him if he had a student container that could hold such a large canopy...

I've been looking into doing exactly this, and am interested in hearing others' thoughts. (Perhaps split off into a new thread?) Are there certain canopies that would be more suited to this purpose, or conversely ones that should be avoided?
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

You can take any BASE canopy on a skydive, as it should really be no different than a terminal BASE jump. I jumped my Troll for a day at the dropzone before taking it on any BASE jumps. You just need to have a container large enough to hold the canopy, pack it slider up, using direct and indirect control, and you should be good. At least, it didn't kill me. :ph34r:

I rented a Telesis 260 from the school at Elsinore and put in my ACE 260 canopy with a slider. Packed it normal and did nothing but high hop n pops. 20 minutes on a canopy will do you wonders on finding the stall points, rear riser reverse gears, etc. Not a single hard opening in 4 jumps. ;)
-Taylor

jump the canopy you plan on jumping, or an array of canopies to see which you would suit your needs as a BASE jumper. You can skydive any current BASE canopy, slider up of course.

that's considered standard training. what's different or new in what he does?

Well When i called him he take you on 3-5 skydive at least to see you canopy skills and videos tapes all jumps including you base jumps to see where body ajustment is needed so in other words you at least need your A...

Considering there was no DZ close to the potato bridge until very recently, I would be surprised if any other FJC done there incorporated skydives into the program.

actually you are wrong.

it is not the standard practice for the FJC instructors to actually jump out of an airplane with you. thus this is not an old (standard) technique. most suggest to go skydive the base canopy etc, but Miles is right there doing it with the student. evaluating progress and skills in a relatively safe and familiar environment for the student. even safer than his bridge.

Miles has been skydiving with some of his students and plans to incorporate it more and more into his BASE camp through the new skydive zone in Twin. He has radios and he also has skydive containers to fit his student BASE rigs, or of course their own rigs if they have them.

It is also not standard practice for any of the FJC's that I know of to have a balloon available to practice still air exits. Miles has a balloon and the skills to fly it, and he incorporates this into his BASE camp. although I know the balloon is a bit more of a project (weather, wind, time etc...), and I dont know if he has thrown many students out of it as of yet.

I don't know the exact details, but I do know that these are aspects of Miles D's base camp that he is more and more frequently incorporating into his course.

I have heard of no other courses moving forward like this with hands on skydive training and balloon experience (fun). for more information one should contact miles' base camp via his website: milesdaisher.com

oh ok. i thought you meant a few skydives were required on the base canopy to be base jumped.

i thought Apex BASE did these same things. either way, i think the attention to detail and such resources are great for student training.

I did not take Miles's FJC but, if there is anyone considering a FJC, I would look know further. Miles is an awesome athlete, and an all around fun guy, totally dedicated to the sport and its progression. Your money would be well spent taking his course.

With the new DZ opening I have heard of more than one fjc who is interested in incorporating skydiving into their curiculum. With the close proximity and easy access of SR-SD it makes a lot of sense to check out and work on the canopy skills of students.

DZ opens this Sunday!

The swoop is on!

Cya

Sunday? I thought the plan was to do night jumps on Saturday as soon as the plane gets here.

I'm gettin wood...that place is gonna be sick. Rumor has it the manifest gals are gonna be smokin hot.

When's the first toga party?
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member