Para_Frog

Hey BASE Parents...

You might want to sell that motorcycle too. I use to work in the ER and we referred to people who rode motorcycles as organ doners. At least put a helMUT on :ph34r:. Definately respect your decision and how hard it was.

H

You're right. I quit riding for awhile. The motorcycle in the picture is a 1972 Honda 125 that I completely restored. The picture was taken when I finally finished the restoration. Now about BASE...I'm not doing it but I
DO have flights and Hotel for the 2007 KL tower in Malaysia. Instesd of a rig, I'll have a camera! I can love BASE and support BASE but not do BASE. When they're a lot older, who knows??
Remembering Coombesy....always...5/27/06

what abut all the mom and dad the was kill in 911, so we all should stop working or stop living. what if you get kill base jumping, will you mom and dad care less because you are older, if you son like to start base jumping at age 16 and get kill well that hurt you more than he waited tell he is 21 and than get kill.
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

what abut all the mom and dad the was kill in 911, so we all should stop working or stop living.

Apples and oranges. Setting aside the fact that the probability of dying in a terrorist attack at work is vanishingly small compared to that of dying on a BASE jump, BASE jumping is a strictly elective risk.

... There's a whole world of cool stuff to do out there, much of which is less risky than BASE. To go from "stop jumping" to "stop living" is more than a little melodramatic.

what if you get kill base jumping, will you mom and dad care less because you are older, if you son like to start base jumping at age 16 and get kill well that hurt you more than he waited tell he is 21 and than get kill.

The difference here is that your parents are not dependents. If I have kids, then die jumping (a very risky sport I have chosen to participate in) when they're five, not only have I left my children without one parent, but as a bonus, I've left my wife without my support, and without a second income, at the same time that I've left her in sole custody of some kids. That we were supposed to raise.

There are some good arguments for continuing to jump, if you so choose, after you have kids. They are not the ones you've given.

The difference here is that your parents are not dependents. If I have kids, then die jumping (a very risky sport I have chosen to participate in) when they're five, not only have I left my children without one parent, but as a bonus, I've left my wife without my support, and without a second income, at the same time that I've left her in sole custody of some kids. That we were supposed to raise.
--------------------------------------------------------------
so is the meaning you well not get kill by driving a car or get hit by a car or die from cancer, have heart attack,
stop living by meaning for some is stop base jumping
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

so is the meaning you well not get kill by driving a car or get hit by a car or die from cancer, have heart attack,

You should read more carefully. The risks you're listing are not risks you choose to take -- they are the ones you are born into. To the extent that they are elective (if, for instance, you're increasing your risk of lung cancer by smoking like a chimney) then you certainly wouldn't be alone in modifying your lifestyle to increase the odds that you'll see your kids graduate.

stop living by meaning for some is stop base jumping

Those people have a problem. Whether your chosen passtime is watching TV, or playing World of Warcraft, or BASE jumping, if you're blind to the fact that the world offers so much more, that's not something you should be proud of.

BASE 736 your points are indeed direct, succinct and to the point. However airdog is obviously unable to grasp the concept of elective pastimes. This inability to grasp this concept makes your valid argument totally irrelevant. As a jumper with more than enough jumps under my belt and having lost friends that did have children I can fully understand the choice to not jump once you have kids. Given the nature of this sport and the knowledge we have for how quick the shit can hit the fan do we really believe that that last jump we do, that finally kills us was really worth it even though we've left behind children that will be raised by someone else?
Some will say that it was worth it and that they will never change what they do. The reality is that BASE will eventually kill all who participate. Skill, time in sport, knowledge, luck and all that shit will eventually forego everyone. Just check the list. Anyone who thinks that their last jump will be worthwhile needs to re-evaluate their commitment to their family.
The name of the game is knowing when to quit. Plenty of people who have more jumps than me have packed it in for different reasons but chief among them has been for their children. If you elect to have kids should you not therefore elect to be around to make sure they grow up to be the people we want them to be?
I'm not here to pass judgment on anyone who is a parent and a BASE jumper. If that's what you do then I wish you much success. I just know that for me not being a parent but knowing that in the future I will be, the thought of leaving my kids because of a life that I chose to pursue and given the nature of it, would be truly distressing. I have a choice. I won't live in a bubble. Life is risky but anyone who tells me that BASE jumping is safer than driving a car or getting killed in a terrorist attack in California is out to fucking lunch. I've seen the death and I've picked up the pieces. The clock is ticking. In thirty years time I hope I will be able to say that I survived and was able to tell my kids and grandkids about it. Shit, maybe they'll be BASE jumpers too, I hope so.

i'm a BASE parent.
i consider every jump carefully.
my family knows what i risk to be who i am.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

no I'm not out to lunch people die in LA ever day, the terrorists was planning to blow up building in LA, if i have a kid I would like to see them make a jump too with out other telling you how to raise theme.

The reality is that BASE will eventually kill all who participate.

Substitute the word BASE with "Life" and you would be correct.

Given the nature of this sport and the knowledge we have for how quick the shit can hit the fan do we really believe that that last jump we do, that finally kills us was really worth it even though we've left behind children that will be raised by someone else?

For me, one jump is not worth dying for, but a lifetime of jumps, associated friends and experiences is worth living for.

No matter what one does or does not, in the world, no one gets out alive.
take care.
space

Mate, we all know that life will eventually run out for everyone. And a lifetime of cool experiences making tons of friends is truly one of the greatest aspects of the sport but really, do you believe that if you had a young child and were killed jumping that your child would be able to grow up and appreciate the life you lead. This very child could indeed be turned against the sport you loved so much especially when you factor in the brainwashing from step-parents which is highly probable. Everyone just keep doing what you're doing. All I'm doing is laying it out the way I see it. The life we lead is a gift that we have for a short time. Use it wisely. Making concessions to our lives for the benefit of our families isn't giving in to unreasonable pressures, it's just about sharing ourselves with the people we love, for as long as we can. That's why I don't make bombs anymore or vacation in Tikrit or surf in Israel or swim with stingrays. Just choices I've made. It's all good.

do you believe that if you had a young child and were killed jumping that your child would be able to grow up and appreciate the life you lead.

Yes, I have a young child and I do beleive that no matter how I died, she would appreciate the life I had led.

This very child could indeed be turned against the sport you loved so much especially when you factor in the brainwashing from step-parents which is highly probable.

My daughter Amy, though almost 7yrs. is quite her own person. I have no fear of her getting brainwashed from step-parents. She would fight them just as I did if they tried that crap.

I wouldn´t use that as an excuse to quit jumping (that she may turn against the sport). I would quit probaly because I felt like it. But I don´t see that coming anytime soon.
Anyways,
Take care Big M.
space

Here´s a photo of us on a tilting ferris wheel.

If you elect to have kids should you not therefore elect to be around to make sure they grow up to be the people we want them to be?

I have taught my sons that they should grow to be what THEY want to be, not what I want.

I just know that for me not being a parent but knowing that in the future I will be

Zero experience, and you already know, HMMMM???
HAHAHAHA!!!!
Come back in 10yrs
My youngest is 12
NEVER GIVE UP!

That's the nice thing about these forums, we can discuss topics such as this as a way of working through issues which do affect people and not just ourselves. As I stated earlier, I'm not passing any judgment on anyone for what they do and I do appreciate everyones perspective. However just because I don't have any children doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion about how I would feel if I did. I have distinct memories from my own childhood which include my parents. My parents through no fault of their own helped shape who I am today. I am grateful for the life and the freedom they gave me but in that same breath I also know that if my father had been replaced by another, life would've been a lot different.
This sport we love so much has certain factors built into it which make it appealing to all of us just knowing that our next jump could be our last gives me pause to make sure I'm doing what I want and that it makes my life better. Me jumping doesn't make my parents lives or that of my wife better but it does for me. It would just suck if you last jump was just some kind of sucky BASE jump. We've all had less than stellar jumps for whatever reason. I just hope we all get to realize when we've had enough. It's a great thing to be a survivor. If we've been here long enough, we can look back at our mates who are no longer with us and if we could ask them if that last jump was worth it, what would be the answer?
Keep up the good work people, stay safe out there but don't let those easy jumps fool you.
And just for the record if my kids told me they wanted to grow up to be meth cookers or Elephant poachers I may elect to steer them in a slighly different direction. I'm quite sure that in 10 years I'll still feel the same way about those 2 subjects.
Matt

Ha Ha, how bout when your kids start base jumping with you? That's when it gets scary! And it's not like you can tell them no after they've watched/videoed you doing it either!

OOOiii Matt! My question is: WHEN are you going to have kids?!? C'mon in, the water's fine ;). Your posts make you sound all grown up n' stuff. Moi... BASE is on the back burner for now, but I'm not selling my gear. Maybe Z will be up for ground crewing when she's old enough to understand why I spent so many years chasing altitude.

Luuuv,
Karin

Ha Ha, how bout when your kids start base jumping with you? That's when it gets scary! And it's not like you can tell them no after they've watched/videoed you doing it either!

my dad is finding this one out he was one of the first british bass jumpers but then stopped jumping when i was born. he is planning on going off to norway jumping yet knows that when he starts again im gonna have to start aswell and is no starting to think that dispite what other people think due my young age etc its better he lets get start and gets me trained properly then him stopping me and i end up sneaking off behind his back and trying to teach myself or what ever

it also doesnt help theres a 300ft S 1/2mile from my house and he keeps his base rigs in my room!B|
Falling from the top floor
your lungs fill like parachutes

hehe...
while i'm basing, my son make own little bussiness... :D
c-ya!

:D
Brilliant!
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Heya
first off i have 2 kids myself and my wife has 2 others.
As a parent you will rethink if you should jump,our kids are always the best thing that ever happens to us.
My Q is...
Why would you bring them to a object and let them see you jump?
They love you forever and more than that(just look at the picit says it all),they dont need to watch if you get hurt,they wont be abel to help they will only get all the horrow..

I know its a personal thing a nd respect you for your choice.I rember when i told the comunity that im a jumper whith kids.. most people wont combine thouse 2 things..

My kids(all 4 of them) wont see me make a live BASEjump,or other BASEjumps live untill theyre grown up and can make the dessision if they want to see or not.

Personaly i wouldnt dare leaving my kids behind,knowing that the last they saw of me were impacting the ground,even adults dont like that weiv..
As said its personal dessision,and you have my equal respect as a parent and as a jumper but my belive is that live BASEjump aint for kids..

Gorgeus kids you have there by the way:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

There is an 'E' here that is a popular tourist attraction. One can get to the top via a cable car. There is sometimes quite a crowd when we jump it. I was doing a solo from there a while back and there was a little boy and his mom on the lookout directly above me. The boy must have been about 5 years old. As I leaped off, I heard him scream in distress: "nooooooooooo!!!!!!"
I felt quite bad because the kid was really crying and I hope he felt better once he saw the canopy.

My wife respects the fact that I jump, even encourages me to go jump when I am all depressed and stuff but she doesn't want the girls to watch me jump.
She has never done a skydive, but she learnt to pack and used to pack with me at the dz. In the time I would pack 3 rigs, she would pack one, but her pack jobs were the neatest I have ever seen. She has cumulated enough technical knowledge on parachutes to be well aware of the dangers of BASE. She is also a nursing sister and deals with hectic injuries on a daily basis.
About 2/3 of the way to my father in law's place, about 4 hours drive from home there is a bridge. I would consider it a crime to go over that bridge and not jump it. My wife is ok with taking a radio, no long faces and guilt trips when I get back up, but she just won't watch or let the girls watch.

I sometimes think that the sooner you understand that we're all dying, the stronger it will make you and the harder you will fight.

I suppose the answer is somewhere in between: It's ok for your kids to understand that accidents happen or that when it's your time to go it's your time to go, but just try and spare them the horror of watching you get hurt or even watching you go.

Well, that's enough rambling and agreeing to disagree on what I agree with for a while; I am off to the big city to go make some money and hopefully get my 'B'...
...and nobody can rime like me yo

poc
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

First of all, I doubt whether a 4 year old brain can compute the concept of basejumping being fun instead of dangerous.

That's interesting, because when I looked at the picture I was thinking exactly the opposite -- it surprises me a little that a kid whose parents were excited about the jump would be so scared of the same thing.

You're complicating my perfect world, ParaFrog!

Kids generally dont know somthing is dangerous in nature unless they are told, what you expose your kids to regularly is what they will consider normal, if Parafrog had show his 4 yo girl himself jmuping from the time she was 2 this would be normal to her and not scary. At 4yo she's problably been told (if not by parents by others) that it's dangerous to climb high on things (cupboards, walls trees etc...) So daddy jumping from a high thnig is NOT narmal and is scary
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?