Para_Frog

Hey BASE Parents...

So I gotta share this picture Blondie took over the weekend.

Here's the predicate:

My daughter (she's 4) watched me jump this weekend for the first time. She's seen me skydive plenty, but she had a little trouble wrapping her cute little head around daddy jumping off the great big bridge.

It absolutely crushed me, but she had to conquer her fear. She was fine after the first one - thought it was cool.

See that face? Look forward to that all you new daddies! B|
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Since you posted it, with all due respect and I realize it's your call, but;

Don't you think it's a little early for her to see you jump off a bridge? I'm not saying you should leave your kids in the dark about anything, but I feel like this is pushing it a bit. First of all, I doubt whether a 4 year old brain can compute the concept of basejumping being fun instead of dangerous. (Edit: scratch that, apparently it can) Also, figuratively speaking, you might as well strap her to your harnass, cause if something should go wrong (touchwood etc), she's gonna be seriously traumatized. Of couse that's also the case for the older kid.

Just a thought.

First of all, I doubt whether a 4 year old brain can compute the concept of basejumping being fun instead of dangerous.

That's interesting, because when I looked at the picture I was thinking exactly the opposite -- it surprises me a little that a kid whose parents were excited about the jump would be so scared of the same thing.

You're complicating my perfect world, ParaFrog!

I was waiting for the flames (Calvin always whines - figured that out before I ever started BASE)

Trust me, it was considered long and hard, but I choose not to shelter my children from what I do.

I get shot at for a living, the last thing I want is for my children to let any fear conquer them.

Now she screams and shouts and BEGS me to do it again.

Would it be better for me to have conceded to her fears and thus let her harbor anxiety about it forever? I think not, but I respect your opinion.

Flame on...
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

You're in the best position to consider the matter.

Also: I wouldn't call my post a flame. It's not like I'm judging your parental skills or something. Just don't get too low (or shot)

i do whine to much...

I think its good not shelter your kids from anything.

I was just speaking for me. I just have no desire at all to raise children of my own, and thats a good thing.

i do whine to much...

agreed :-P

I just have no desire at all to raise children of my own, and thats a good thing.

Agreed as well. I mean guys..come on.. could you imagine little calvins running around???

I think the picture is priceless. Frame it and show it to her when she grows up. :-)
Nathan

I do, I have a 6 year old boy and it's a dilemma for me. Do I continue risking my life for my own gratification or do I shape up and become a more responsible parent?

I didn't know him and I say this with the greatest respect but I sometimes think of Lukas and the beautiful kids he left behind.

As I said it's a dilemma, at least for me.

John

I have a 6 and 7 y/o girls. I don't BASE because of them.
I had to realize that after they were born, "It was all about them". I have to take a back seat for awhile.
Remembering Coombesy....always...5/27/06

I take my kids to the DZ and to various exit points. I worry a little about the possibilities of a horrific experience, but then I'll have to deal with that. My son was with me when I did my FJC and he really enjoyed it. He was three. He yelled "Good one daddy" from the time my feet left the bridge until I landed in the main landing area. Walking out on the bridge he couldn't understand why he didn't have a rig on. Miles came out on the bridge to do an unpacked jumps and my son told him he couldn't jump like that. When Miles asked why he said "Because your not packed!"

He was at BD with when I broke my leg on the other bridge, but he did not see the jump. He did visit me in the hospital and didn't seem too upset about the whole ordeal. When I asked if he wanted to see where I was hurt he said Yes. When I showed him he turned away and told me "I knew it was going to look like that." I went to the bridge recently for my first jumps back and when I got home he told me that he told mommy I wouldn't break my leg again...

I have a friend with cancer that probably won't be around much longer. I don't keep my kids away from him. I encourage them to spend time with him while they can because that may not always be possible.

I think you let your kids deal with the world as it is and then help them through situations they have a hard time understanding. I wouldn't take my kids into a situation where I thought they would get hurt, but it doesn't make sense to me to try to protect them from something they are probably going to experience anyway.

I tattooed all my daughters.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

But you gotta be carefull, by age 7 they can become "monsters". Most parents need to watch their wallets and car keys, we need to lock up our rigs!:)

I tattooed all my daughters.

You look much different in the photo than your avatar!

Nice un Chris! so what diod you do for your sons?
"If you are not a part of the Solution, you are a part of the Precipitate"

You might want to sell that motorcycle too. I use to work in the ER and we referred to people who rode motorcycles as organ doners. At least put a helMUT on :ph34r:. Definately respect your decision and how hard it was.

H

Here's one of the boys. I don't know those pesky child protective services people keep hassling us. :S
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

In my opinion your doing the right thing by letting her know what you do. My daughter was 5 when I started BASE jumping and now she is 16. But if I am killed or injured on a BASE jump she knows why I do what I love and that I tried to be as safe a possible. NOT, thinking that I had some stupid wild hair idea and got myself killed.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Para Frog, with the highNtite haircut and anvil jaw, you remind me of another soldier that whipped my ass outside The Apex Lounge in Ft. bragg NC when I was in the 82nd. Pardon me if I make the same face as your daughter if we ever meet......not one black eye, but two!
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

you do have a sense of humor / good one, I laughed my ass off with that one. ...:D:D:D

All due respect...the best thing anyone can do for their children is to be happy. They notice. And yes, it makes a difference--they're not as easily fooled as we grown-ups think.

I didn't know him and I say this with the greatest respect but I sometimes think of Lukas and the beautiful kids he left behind.

yep I knew Lukas and that haunts me too.

IMHO BASE is pure self-indulgence. Fcuking great when you have no responsibilities but it doesnt add up for me personally with a kid on the way.