Butters

BASE Governing Body

If that is your first thought to everyone :S ... It was only a question.

of course not..... just to the suggestion of a governing body

Not chuffing likely. You've got more chance of platting fog than either forming or encoring the a governing body.

Did anyone vote pro-governing body? I would have thought the vote would be at 100% NO!
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I wonder how many people who actually BASE jump voted yes, as opposed to anti-BASE skydivers who peruse this forum...

I think Mac-10 hit the nail on the head...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I wonder how many people who actually BASE jump voted yes, as opposed to anti-BASE skydivers who peruse this forum...

Well, this non-BASE jumper didn't vote. I'm not allowed to have an opinion yet. :ph34r:
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

Would you support a BASE Governing Body and only perform jumps according to the rules set forth by the BASE Governing Body?

I have something to say about this.
I didn’t vote, but, no. Sorry, you sound like: “You are either against us or with us.”
A BASE governing body is the way to get more legal sites open and thus promote the sport.
We never respected rules made by others that restricted us on our jumps. some that happened to be illegal.
To Paraphrase Plato sideways
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, good people will find a way around the bad laws. as will bad people around the good laws"

I really don’t see how a “BASE governing body” will hurt us. We already have them, at BD, for example. This site is open for us, because of the rules imposed by a governing body. It apparently still gets jumped outside the window of legality. Even by jumpers who have been busted there before.

Once again I feel the urge to point out the VDO (German BASE association).
They opened a lot of new legal sites and did not affect the underground.
BASERs are doing as they always have and getting new legal sites as a bonus.

The poll should read:
Would you support a BASE Governing Body and only perform jumps according to the rules set forth by the BASE Governing Body on legal events?
I for one would vote yes.

("Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.")
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

Why does it have to be a governing body?

That’s your problem right there!

However some sort of organisation promoting BASE venues and events, may make possible progress with the likes of the NPS and land\object owners etc.

Pete Mac

[Why does it have to be a governing body?

That’s your problem right there!]

Correct!

[However some sort of organisation promoting BASE venues and events, may make possible progress with the likes of the NPS and land\object owners etc.]

A lot of us supported The Alliance Of Backcountry Paracutists and would be happy to give time and effort for our fight for legal access. I think our organised legal events are good for the sport as a whole.

KL tour
Bridge Day
GoFast Games
UK ProBase Crane events
(and all the others I have missed)

I think if organised and conducted right it helps to change the public image of BASE Jumpers from 'crazy with a death wish' to 'Profesional sportsmen'.

I do feel though we need to keep a destintion between the 'Public' and the 'Undergound' sides of BASE.

The 'public' events are governed (and rightly so) by the organisers. They set the jump numbers, jump types ect ect that is acceptable at that event. It has to be that way because the public face of BASE needs to be as accident free as possible.

The 'underground' side of base should never and I would say will never be goverened by anyone other than the jumper with his toes on the exit point.

Self regulated? Yes
Goverened? NO

I see a big difference....................

Greeny