Butters

BASE Governing Body

Would you support a BASE Governing Body and only perform jumps according to the rules set forth by the BASE Governing Body?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

BASE is not illegal! Trespassing is and private property will never be given rights to in the US, this country is too sue happy. An Antenna or Building owner would not allow jumping in risk of a lawsuit from the jumper or others due to death or property damage.

BASE Ethics is all we need. As long as you don't damage property you are not hurting anything by trespassing and borrowing a little altitude. I did so just this morning. I would tell a BASE Governing Body to go to hell if they told me not to trespass anymore and can only jump in TF, Moab or the likes around the world. It’s just unnecessary.

Those places that have exhibition possibilities are already being handled by those who have the abilities to get things going. If it can happen it will and digging into it and constantly talking about it on Internet boards can only cause problems. Lets just chill people.

Coco

I joined BASE for the freedom,
I don't listen to the rules set by the goverment, police. NPS ect. why would I be interested in yours?

What are you going to do?
Hang out at objects and check my log book before you let me jump.

I jump my objects
When I want
My way

That is BASE for me...................

Greeny

Go skydiving butters.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

My first thought was "Fuck off"

But you could get a 'free' mag every 2 month for your £120??
not to mention 3rd party insurance.
"If you don't like it then fuck off" BASE 621

If that is your first thought to everyone :S ... It was only a question.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

It be really hard to regulate probably impossible when you think of the personalities, you can have organized events like bridge day and stuff, charge to jump, if you do it regularly enough at a lot of different locations, you might get some people who are to scared to trespass to join

My first thought was
"Jimmy Halliday should be the President of that governing body".
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

It be really hard to regulate probably impossible when you think of the personalities

a governing body would change the personalities drawn to the sport...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I vote yes. please pm rules so i can be first to break.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Ya and people can still do the trespassing thing, this way your not limiting anyone just opening people to new experiences.

Fuck no.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

i think u might want to get a clue some jumps and maybe
a base jump before u go steering up trouble for actual base jumpers
we do a fine job at it our selves

...constantly talking about it on Internet boards can only cause problems...

Can you rationalize your reasoning on how this may cause problems?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Media - Plain and simple. The less they know of what we do and/or our ideas the better. They are a constant pain in our ass and have made thing worse for us in the past. The less we broadcast information the less they can mess things up in the future.

Coco

Media - Plain and simple. The less they know of what we do our illegitimate activies and/or our ideas regarding illegitimate activities the better. They Frequently sensationalized media coverage of illegitimate BASEjumps are a constant pain in our ass and we have made thing worse for us ourselves in the past, by not keeping illegitimate jumps quiet. The less we broadcast information about illegitimate jumps the less they we can will mess things up in the our future.

there, I fixed it for you... :P

If confined to legal jumps, BASEjumping is a totally legitimate activity, like paragliding, hang-gliding and motocross and much less sensitive to any sort of publicity whatsoever.

If confined to illegal jumps, BASEjumping is an illegitimate activity and no publicity of BASEjumping as an illegitimate activity will ever do it any good.

I am not saying we should all limit ourselves to legal jumps only (Happy, Sabre210?).

You know from travelling around a bit that every type of object B, A, S and E are jumpable legally and therefore as a legitimate activity.

I am saying we should avoid any and all publicity of illegal/illegitimate jumps and actively encourage publicity of legal/legitimate jumps.

I think that is the only way to legitimize BASEjumping in the public's eye and once the public sees BASEjumping as legitimate, we are in.

I am saying we should avoid any and all publicity of illegal/illegitimate jumps and actively encourage publicity of legal/legitimate jumps.

I think that is the only way to legitimize BASEjumping in the public's eye and once the public sees BASEjumping as legitimate, we are in.

Are you in marketing? If I had a business I'd hire you... B|
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

you make some great points (and did a great job with markup...)

still, do we want publicity of legal sites?
doesn't publicity and openess create issues?
-the Moab turkey boogie - ended.
-the TF rash of injuries and jumping beyond limits during the big weekends.
-the disrespectful jumping in the Swiss valley.
-the thought of going for a new record at the ITW.

all legal sites. all legal events. all have suffered from publicity. many locals feel their sites threatened by sloppy jumping. they fear a backlash from the general public.

the best successful publicity comes legal sites sharing some element of control.
-BD
-SBK in Norway
-KL
-RG

but jumpers balk (including myself) at a governing body. if we develop more local groups exerting some form of control, I can see them banding together to form an overall governing organization.

or am I missing something?
DON'T PANIC

Quote [if we develop more local groups exerting somoe form of control, I can see them banding together t form an overall governing organization.]

My question is still the same

What are you going to do? Hang out on objects on moonlit mights and check log books, maybe give tickets for low pulls / unstable exits.

If you organise a legal demo jump (KL ect) you can choose who comes, you can choose the criteria,

but for everything else,
leave us alone!
let us self regulate
for those who can't I am sure Darwin will

Why do you even want a govening body?

What do you think it will do for you / change for the better for you?

Govening bodys are for the sheep of this world who feel lost when not being told what to do and how to do it!

Trust me you are missing something..................

Greeny

Why do you even want a govening body?

I do not.

see:

but jumpers balk (including myself) at a governing body

I believe less than legal night jumps require a certain committment lacking at day legal sites. those sites attract people with video cams trying to one-up each other. (NOT all jumpers, some.)

if we focus on legal day sites, the resulting carnage may FORCE us into creating an organization.

I prefer night jumps from less than legal objects. it is amazing what a solo from such a place will teach you... there is a certain beauty being alone with the wind, stars, and moon. no one watching. I jump only when it is right for me, no one else.
DON'T PANIC