SLandings

#110 (((

Very very sad. But upon debating this one for awhile - it would be (i think) very beneficial to know the jumpers experience both skydiving and BASE (time and jump #s)

thank you !

Yes...

Mammilian Diving Reflex

Specifically peripheral vasoconstriction.

But it takes years to master - and is independant of immersion hypothermia.

Now the reason frostbite occurs in air is due to the body's natural peripheral vasocontriction in rescue mode, but again - in cold water - all bets are off. You're screwed.

Just curious. So how do certain people do stuff like this? >Dec. 20 2005
On the anniversary of Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen reaching the south pole, British swimmer Lewis Gordon Pugh has plunged into the icy waters off the antarctic peninsula to smash the world record for the most southern long distance swim ever undertaken. Wearing only Speedo trunks, goggles and a swimming cap, Lewis swam 1 kilometre (0.6 Miles) in 0°c (32°f) water.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I was trying to imply that there should be a BML (Body Mass Limit) put on PC's in the water landing PCs.
My apologies for hijacking this thread. I wish Tom would split this off. I do have quite a bit of experience with water landings.
take care,
space

OK, so I forgot to mention that in all these cases you should have the PC in your hand also.

It really is common sense and so instictive that I totally forgot to write it down, as it requires no real thought.

thanks for the correction, you are of course right about the PC

I fell in the Nantahala River, which is barely even a rapid, while dorking around during a very early spring canoe trip. The guide later estimated the water temp at 40F. When I hit the water, my diaphragm almost immediately contracted such that I could barely breathe. My life vest kept my head out of the water. I was thrown a rope and pulled to a canoe, but within just the couple of minutes that took I was too weak to help the two people in that canoe pull me in. They had to tow me to shore, where they built a fire to dry me out and warm me up as I was showing signs of hypothermia. I was wearing a shorty wetsuit that was dry when I went in with a wool sweater and jeans over it. Really cold water does really bad things really fast.

Brent

There is a prof at one of the Canadian universities in the prairies, do not remember which exactly, doing research on hypothermia. He was at the Letterman's show and demonstrated jumping into ice cold water in a tank on a side street, close to the theatre. He stayed there for half an hour or so.

He said that there was a "one ten one" rule for surviwal in cold water: One minute to bring breathing under control, ten minutes for meaningful action and one hour for survival - if your body is supported

My condolences to all involved...
BSBD! :(

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

There is a prof at one of the Canadian universities in the prairies, do not remember which exactly, doing research on hypothermia.

It was the University of Manitoba. Here are some links to a couple articles on him and his research if anyone wants to learn more:

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200212/200212_popsicle_splash.html

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/physed/research/people/giesbrecht.shtml

Our hearts and prayers go out to family and friends.
Katya and Alan
:(