MMK

Grand Canyon's rim skywalk now OPEN

Isn't the bottom of the Grand Canyon NPS land no matter who's Indian Nation resides at the edge of some small part of it?

If you want a nice cliff with prospective Indian help, talk to the Navajo nation.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

f you could do a 3500' free fall who wouldnt want to pay per jump for that hell if it costs xx$ per skydive on average i know plenty of base jumpers who'd gladly pay for that, just my 2 cents

please refrain from stating what you would do/pay/etc. to jump from the structure. IF this becomes a reality, we ought to let the organizer sort out the details.

why weaken someone's hand during negotioations?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

cool...instead of Bridge Day its Skywalk Week : )
6days...not 6 hours! probably would generate alot of income for the Reservation. We're just eagles
with different feathers!l
that sure would look pretty launching a large way wingsuit jump with smoke radiating out in all directions with the Skywalk as the focal point! all the wingsuits could be designed with different bird feather patterns! letting the human sprit take flight...wow!

Are there negotiations? BCP?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Are there negotiations? BCP?

I do not know, but see Tom's posts. particularly #8, 10, & 13 in this thread. he seems to know something, but does not wish to speak fully.

I'm left reading between the lines.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

talked to there PR department. After much consideration it would be disrespectful to base jump off it, as it encompasses sacreed grounds!

...and sacred grounds can only be threaded upon by millions of paying visitors, not basejumped on.

I don't understand why it's ok to do pretty much anything but basejumping on NPS/Indian/Holy land.

They certainly have the right to allow or forbid any activity they like, and they owe no-one any explanations. But, this makes no sense. Grand Canyon West offers 4x4 tours, horseback riding, hiking, camping, river rafting, helicopter rides, and the skywalk. All this is OK, but flying a parachute is "disrespectful"?
And to answer a previous ?.. Theyre land borders the river, and they own the only road in the canyon with river access.

aren't there any other areas with good launch points they might consider? heck they could charge us $25 a jump and make some good money! Isn't this what the skywalk is all about anyway!
making money for the reservation!
lets help them out : )

4x4, helicopter, plane...

I've been down the river at that location. No way in hell could you 4x4 out of there. You'd never get a plane down there either. The most probable means of getting out would be hopping on a motorized raft and taking it down to Lake Mead. The Hulapai already make a pretty good business of taking tourists down the river from their Diamond Creek boat ramp to Lake Mead. A helicopter would work too, but the last thing the Grand Canyon needs is more helicopters flying around. :S

The Hualapai own the entire south side of the river in that area (the NPS owns the north side), so you could land without setting foot on NPS land. However, the river corridor is managed in conjunction with the NPS, so the NPS could have issues with that.

The Hualapai operate the Diamond Creek boat ramp (upstream of the Skywalk) which is used by almost all grand canyon river runners to take out from 18+ day grand canyon trips. I am organizing such a trip right now, and I will have to write them a check for over $1000 for 15 of us to take out there and drive their road back out of the canyon...

most excellent..so it doesn't really matter how the 15 get to the bottom does it? Base & Raft Tours...got 2 love it : )

1000/15=66.6666666 ok..thats got to mean something!

Has anyone yet seen a "money shot" of this thing? All the media hype is calling it, "4000-feet straight down." But, everything I've seen so far is kind of oblique and in most of those views it looks like talus-city and outcropping-ville just hundreds of feet below the edge . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Has anyone yet seen a "money shot" of this thing?

That was my thought after seeing that vid. It looks like a couple hundred feet to impact and a rough flight to a shitty landing area at best.

Well with all the poverty in the tribe going on i'm sure if they can get that out far enough and open it to yr round base jumps alot of ppl would pay so much to use the structure especially if you could do a 3500' free fall who wouldnt want to pay per jump for that hell if it costs 20$ per skydive on average i know plenty of base jumpers who'd gladly pay for that, just my 2 cents

$20 per "skydive"? HAHAHAHA

I read that the charge to 'walk' onto the skywalk will be in the neighborhood of $27.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Jeb Corliss or Chris McNamara should do it, they are the best....