GooManChew

'square' round

my buddie used to work for a parachute manufacture, they made a 'square' canopy that was more like a round (ie drag vs ram air). he test jumped it @ the dz a few yrs ago it was a plus shaped piece of fabric that pulled down the sides & vented at the 4 corners instead of the top (apex). the canopy significantly reduced primary occiilation & completly elminated secodary occilation. it was for ejection seats from fighter aircraft, afaik.
has anyone else herd of of such?
it would have valuefor BASE jumpin', no?
please discuss, or flame . . .
i can't spell & r drunk

ps, i did search & didn't see anything

so... a round, but square, with little or no forward motion.

stop the presses, cancel your ramair canopy orders. the future is now.

:P

modern BASE rounds dont oscilate. and they are round. and simple.

Here's an innovative idea for a square round. :P

It sounds like the one you are describing is more like the plus shaped parachutes used to slow dragsters?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I helped a master rigger pack a Russian MIG 21 ejection seat rig. The canopy was like a round but it was a single skin square. The instructions required that pharmaceutical grade talcom powder be placed between the canopy folds. Perhaps the riggers' forum would be a good place to inquire about the possibility of using such a canopy in the base environment.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Ok well this is not a round and it is not a square but it is one of my favorites just because of how interesting the design is and how low the pack volume is (look at the 2nd pic to see what I mean)
Shane Murphy
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

Ok well this is not a round and it is not a square but it is one of my favorites just because of how interesting the design is and how low the pack volume is (look at the 2nd pic to see what I mean)

That looks very cool, thanks for sharing!

It's hard to tell from the picture how heavy the load is that it's carrying, so I'm not sure what size quad-canopy I'm looking at. Is the claimed advantage of the odd design that it has a higher carrying capacity with reduced pack volume? I'm a tad skeptical you can beat a round (although the forward drive of a square might help), but I'm often wrong.

Come to think of it, relatively speaking each of those four parachutes has a forward drive pointing away from the center. In absolute space they're only moving downward, but the relative force may help generate some lift.

Ah heck, I shouldn't try physics. Calling 736 or Crwper.

Oh, and what Tom said; I'd be interested to see packing instructions.

Is that the rotating 'helicopter' design?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

this has to be a repost, that heli-chute i have seen before.

-SPACE-

Built one last summer. The lines can be shorter then you would imagion. The skirt tends to be tight and makes it hard to stear with three vents and it needed a bit more venting to stop the osolation. Note the more recent photos of the irving canopy have a mesh vent band on each side.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

probably, but th dbag does not seem like it could be attatched, much less a pilot chute.

i want one.
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."