nvknight04

For 1st BASE

Hey everyone,

I've always wondered, which element is best for someone's first BASE and why?

-Amber
"Be The Change You Wish To See In The World"
-Mahatma Ghandi

When you say "Element', I am assuming you mean which object.

A bridge is a good first BASE jump because there is little chance of hitting the object (i.e. from an off-heading opening).

This thread has already been done. See the thread here (I'll even bump it for you so the discussion can continue there.)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

In my opinion, a Span (bridge) is the best first object. It minimizes object strike potential, and maximizes the amount of time you have to react to a potentially bad opening (prior to strike).

Be aware, thought, that this is a generalization, and that there are many different spans in the world. Some are good for a first jump, and some are very, very bad. It's impossible to generalize about object types with too much accuracy. It's far better to pick a specific, real object and talk about that one.

For example, the Potato Bridge is an excellent first jump object because it has very low strike potential (I think there's only been one strike on a first jump here, and that was on the canyon wall, and definitely operator error), a huge, wide open landing area, good outs, and a slow moving, broad river underneath as the ultimate out if all else fails. Add to that the legal status and the easy access (sidewalk) to the exit point, and it's all pretty good for a first jump.

Take a look at another imaginary span. This one is only about 200' high, and crosses a gorge so narrow that a 90 left or right will put you into an imminent object strike situation (the walls are only about 50 feet apart). The landing area is a sloping boulder field filled with jagged rocks, and the canyon channels the regular wind in the area into a turbulent high speed mess under the bridge. It's illegal to jump, and located in a state park with security personnel, and no good way out of the bottom without getting busted.

One of these spans is not like the other. One of them is a good choice for a first jump, and one of them is not.

The same thing applies when you compare a span to (for example) a cliff. A terminal cliff with good support, available instructors and a good landing area is going to be better than the 2nd span (and maybe some other spans).

Generalizing doesn't work very well in this situation.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just happen to have a picture of that hypothetical, technical "S" Tom;)

Just that it's 280 ft.:D
SabreDave

Clearly "Building" is the best first object. That way, if you die on your first BASE jump, hey, at least you've jumped a building, right?

I hear downtown Tampa is good...oh wait....that's for your second.

:P

a building is the correct answer dont listen to some geek with 10 base jumps u can trust me ill even take u and lone u gear

You mean Perrine in Idaho, right? What other legal sites are there in the US (and the world for that matter). I know a couple places have only certain times of the year you can legally BASE from the object. Bridge Day, KL Tower, Heliboogie (Norway), that's about all I know of.

I've never jumped *yet*, nor do I intend to BASE anytime in the near future. But I am interested in skydive and (way, way, WAY down the road when I get the confidence & courage) BASE.

"Object Strike"? [:/] Yuck, sounds brutal.

-Amber
"Be The Change You Wish To See In The World"
-Mahatma Ghandi

You mean Perrine in Idaho, right? What other legal sites are there in the US (and the world for that matter). I know a couple places have only certain times of the year you can legally BASE from the object. Bridge Day, KL Tower, Heliboogie (Norway), that's about all I know of.

I've never jumped *yet*, nor do I intend to BASE anytime in the near future. But I am interested in skydive and (way, way, WAY down the road when I get the confidence & courage) BASE.

"Object Strike"? [:/] Yuck, sounds brutal.

-Amber

You've done your homework haven't you.........

What other legal sites are there in the US (and the world for that matter). I know a couple places have only certain times of the year you can legally BASE from the object. Bridge Day, KL Tower, Heliboogie (Norway), that's about all I know of.

Please review the "Before You Post!" guidelines linked at the top of this forum. We're not going to have a discussion cataloging jumping sites here.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Amber,

After you figure out why you got your hand slapped for lack of research...

I am throwing you a bone. (and I don't mean in the spirit of the second article :S)

Read This

And This

Now go do your skydives and we'll see you down the road when it's time to get thrown to the wolves. Best of luck.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

the best element for ones firs base jump is most definatley AIR. cant believe you all got that wrong.

Because AIR is not an element, I think the answer is oxygen.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

I'll submit the testosterone vote and say the element I'd rather jump first - is Milla Jovovich.

LeeLoo

But I'm a phreak like that.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member