BASE1036

Two Busted in Tampa....

it's funny that everyone who has made supportive posts for Potatohead in this thread have all been busted too

coincidence? I think not...

hey towerrat..... go fuck your self...... tater has heart

Maybe you missed it in his post, but tater PCAed him on his 1st jump. Then, I suppose some people convinced him that tater's training methods for new jumpers was a bit sketchy.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Another article Clickon the Videos link in related items.

Barefoot for better grip
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Isn't it a violation of a suspect's rights to have police evidence turned over to the media before a trial??
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

it's funny that everyone who has made supportive posts for Potatohead in this thread have all been busted too

coincidence? I think not...

Maybe because they do a lot more buildings than most?.... i don't know. If you stick to legal bridges, remote antennas and cliffs, you're significantly less likely to have run-ins with the law.

I'd say you're on decidely dodgy grounds implying ethics is directly related to busts. It isn't. It's related to the type of object and that objects proximity to other people. If you live and jump actively in a city, you'll get busted a lot more than your rural counterpart, regardless of who has the better ethics.

As for potato guy. No comment.

ian

If you live and jump actively in a city, you'll get busted a lot more than your rural counterpart, regardless of who has the better ethics.

Exactly ...

one of three things will happen when we do these less than legal jumps and two of the three things have very negative impacts on the sport.

1) You get busted and generate negative (all too often national) media exposure.

2) You die or hurt yourself and generate negative (all too often national) media exposure.

3) You're successful and live to jump another day.

The problem with #3 is that it encourages more jumping which could result in #1 or #2. This could happen to anyone who jumps less than legal objects, so before people go off on their "slam-fests" of the two accused individuals, just remember that it too can happen to you.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'd say you're on decidely dodgy grounds implying ethics is directly related to busts. It isn't. It's related to the type of object and that objects proximity to other people.

They're both related. It's not either or.

If you jump in the city a lot, you are more likely to get busted.

If you are careless about your jumps, you are more likely to get busted.

If both, then you are even more likely to get busted.

One bust is easy enough to chalk up to accident. Two or three? I'm not sure how many busts it takes before you start saying that a pattern of behavior is leading to predictable outcomes.

What's that old saying from the military? "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action" ?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Spot on, Tom....

I'd say you're on decidely dodgy grounds implying ethics is directly related to busts. It isn't. It's related to the type of object and that objects proximity to other people.

Fair point. But getting busted does not mean you lack ethics.

I've been busted 7 times so far which I guess ranks me up there with Ted Bundy for run-ins with the law. Every single one of them was avoidable I must admit, had i not jumped. But had i not jumped, I wouldn't really consider myself to be a BASE jumper...more of a BASE talker, and wow, does the world need a few less of them.

I've been busted 7 times so far which I guess ranks me up there with Ted Bundy for run-ins with the law. Every single one of them was avoidable I must admit, had i not jumped.

I think the more important question is, were any of them avoidable if you had been more careful?

I've been busted 7 times so far which I guess ranks me up there with Ted Bundy for run-ins with the law. Every single one of them was avoidable I must admit, had i not jumped. But had i not jumped, I wouldn't really consider myself to be a BASE jumper...more of a BASE talker, and wow, does the world need a few less of them.

I've been on one and a half busts with you mate and we both knew and accepted there was a high bust factor in order to make those jumps, so you got to know I broadly agree with you; I'm definitely not having a dig.

But is it really necessary to do high bust factor jumps *all* the time in order to be a BASE jumper? Your ethics and ninja skills are exemplary, but you seem to routinely choose objects with so much security that even when you comfortably get away the police are involved.

Even though you're not usually caught and perhaps there is no official policy, "BASE jumpers" are no longer a whacky and amusing one off story around the local nick any more?

If jumpers are being pressed to accept significant warnings/charges from the police, rather than a friendly and slightly bemused chat you'd get only a couple of years ago, you might argue that these things are related.

I know that dealing with security is a significant part of the challenge for you (and a tedious job for me) and I really do value your thoughts on this.

All I can say is thank fuck most of them don't have guns in the UK; at the moment. :D

Were any of them day jumps?.....NO

Were any of them busts prior to jumping?.....NO

Was i whooping and hollering under canopy?.....NO

Did i nonchalantly pick up my canopy and stroll away without a care in the world.....NO

Can i think of any way i could have reduced my chances of getting busted apart from by not jumping?....NO.

The funny thing about BASE jumping is that no matter how stealthy you are getting ontop of a building, try explaining that to a 305 square foot slider down canopy on opening. I've talked to it, explained the need to be quiet but it just won't play ball. Every time......BANG....LOOK AT ME.

Oh and i'm not talking about some high rise on the edge of sleepyville, I'm talking about jumping in London, or Barcelona or Kuala Lumpur city centres. Places which tend not to be dead at 4 in the morning.

The fact is....most of these jumps you have 2 options. Jump and risk being busted or don't jump. Like i said, i'm a BASE jumper so i jump, strange as that may seem.

The fact is....most of these jumps you have 2 options. Jump and risk being busted or don't jump. Like i said, i'm a BASE jumper so i jump, strange as that may seem.

Fair enough. I just thought that 7 seemed like a pretty high number, if you were being as careful as possible. I guess you are just jumping higher profile sites.

Much legal problems from all those busts?

I've been on one and a half busts with you mate and we both knew and accepted there was a high bust factor in order to make those jumps, so you got to know I broadly agree with you; I'm definitely not having a dig.

But is it really necessary to do high bust factor jumps *all* the time in order to be a BASE jumper? Your ethics and ninja skills are exemplary, but you seem to routinely choose objects with so much security that even when you comfortably get away the police are involved.

Even though you're not usually caught and perhaps there is no official policy, "BASE jumpers" are no longer a whacky and amusing one off story around the local nick any more?

If jumpers are being pressed to accept significant warnings/charges from the police, rather than a friendly and slightly bemused chat you'd get only a couple of years ago, you might argue that these things are related.

I know that dealing with security is a significant part of the challenge for you (and a tedious job for me) and I really do value your thoughts on this.

All I can say is thank fuck most of them don't have guns in the UK; at the moment. :D

We all push our limits in different ways my friend. Some people do complex aerials, some people do complex unpacked jumps, some people fly as close to the wall as they can, some people strap wingsuits on their arms and inhibit their movement just to improve flight performance. Every one of the above increases the risk of injury and death, and consequently the risk of negative publicity for BASE as a sport.

Me, i keep my jumping simple in many ways, but i push my limits in others. You're right, a huge percentage of my jumps would fall into the 'high bust' category. I make absolutely no apologies whatsoever for that either. It's how i push my limits in the 'sport'

Is it necessary you asked? No but then neither are double gainers, roll overs, tard overs, wingsuits or proximity flights, and all of them carry additional risks of negative consequences to BASE.

:D

Utterly disagree. In the UK (that's worth making the distinction here) I have never found the Police to be anything but reasonable and understanding about what we do. In fact i'd go further and say most are pretty impressed with how we go about our jumps and how we conduct ourselves when caught.

As someone who has had a good few run-ins with the police, and therefore more experience with how they view us 'on the front line' than most, I can honestly say, the few hours here and there we spend in their company is probably some of the best PR work we could do for bandit BASE. They are often taken aback by how calm and rational and polite and helpful we are, and i have never once felt they walked away with a more negative view of us. Not once.

Consequently from the 7 busts i have to date, the worst thing to happen was that 50note on the spot fine for trespass on a railway and the caution for carrying false id, both of which were issued with much embarassment by the Police because they had to follow protocol but really knew how petty it all was.

I have seen no evidence whatsoever, that BASE is becoming less and less tolerated by the Polce in the UK. In fact judging by the stats, the only attempted prosecution i know of was DT's after his bridge bust many moons ago and even then the Police had to pay him compensation for unlawful arrest and seizure of his gear.

The UK is not the USA. It's very important we remember that and as long as it stays that way, i do not feel the need to adopt that default paranoia which sadly my US counterparts are forced to.

As someone who has had a good few run-ins with the police, and therefore more experience with how they view us 'on the front line' than most, I can honestly say, the few hours here and there we spend in their company is probably some of the best PR work we could do for bandit BASE. They are often taken aback by how calm and rational and polite and helpful we are, and i have never once felt they walked away with a more negative view of us. Not once.

Amen.

The best thing you can do when seen by anybody, be it police or the guy walking his dog late at night, is to show that you are a friendly, polite, intelligent and productive member of society with just another hobby.

I've always managed to send people home with an improved opinion on BASE because they quickly see I'm not some criminally insane yahoo who swears and screams all the time.

Remember, these people come home to friends and families and the first thing they say is: "you can't believe what I just saw..."

just tell them u jumped from a prison tranport air caft
just like in CONAIR THAT movie was so cool rember when ave sapel set the induain on fire that ruled

PATATOEHEAD IS A SPORTSMAN TO THE END

is this the potato head that landed a mr. bill at the ranch back in 99 or so?

and landed in the prison in 98 or so?

I live on the west coast and know potato head. I have seen him jump as well, so therefore you destroy your argument right there "towerrat."

Is it necessary you asked?

Very much so, Yes.

I worry about getting busted as much as all the other "negative aspects", so I tend towards being a bit too paranoid; subsequently jumping less, which is not ideal.

I stressed that I wasn't having a dig and I meant it: I value your thoughts and experience in these matters and I knew you'd give it the response it required.

No mate

That's not what i meant. Curse of the missing comma?

That should have read " 'is it necessary?' you asked"

not "is it necessary you ask(ed)?"

sorry. my poor punctuation.

The only incorrect thing tower said was "The worst part is that I don't know anyone who has actually seen you jump." Tater seems to be a nice guy, jumps alot and has skill. However, makes horrible decisions when it comes to taking first time jumper to sites not to mention pissing just about everyone off at the DZ getting grounded and all the local BASE jumpers. I hope that he gets off and does not end up in much trouble but the decision to lend someone your gear to PCA him on his second BASE jump ever in an urban environment and have him wait while you climb down is just not smart. Your begging to get busted. Like I said I hope he gets off it being a federal offense in FL is ridiculous. Good luck to him

lend someone your gear

WTF. Why did Potatoman (or even the other guy) not organize a 2nd set of gear and jump this sweet building himself? It can't be that hard to get another rig from somewhere...

:S

lend someone your gear

WTF. Why did Potatoman (or even the other guy) not organize a 2nd set of gear and jump this sweet building himself? It can't be that hard to get another rig from somewhere...

Perhaps he was unable to borrow a rig from one of the other locals? It seems from the postings here that he's not unusually popular with the jumpers in that area.

Another, not too related, thought: I know that Potatohead has the "Death Rig" (converted Javelin) that I've seen him jump. I'm assuming that he (wisely) decided that rig wasn't appropriate for this jump, and lent his 'A' gear to the other jumper, deciding to walk off rather than jump the "Death Rig" himself.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com