BASE1036

Two Busted in Tampa....

Glumm called police.

"I didn't know he jumped out of a building," Glumm later told a reporter. "We could have been under attack."

Do you realize that a 16 year old Al Queda sympathizer flew a small plane into one of the buildings in that area? The kid was killed. I think it was St. Pete but it may have been Tampa. The plane did not badly damage the building, but it did make the local authorities quite paranoid regarding attacks.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Glumm called police.

"I didn't know he jumped out of a building," Glumm later told a reporter. "We could have been under attack."

Do you realize that a 16 year old Al Queda sympathizer flew a small plane into one of the buildings in that area? The kid was killed. I think it was St. Pete but it may have been Tampa. The plane did not badly damage the building, but it did make the local authorities quite paranoid regarding attacks.

I am all about ensureing our saftey, but not at the expense of the freedom me and my comrades fight for. We should not live scared.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I know but the local authorities don't see it that way. I see no way to change the minds of city 1000 miles away from where I live.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Tom you are correct none of the locals would let him barrow their gear. Also as far as I know the death rig is the ONLY rig he has its the only one I have seen on his back. So it certainly seems to me that is the one he lent the guy. I am not 100% on that. Bad decisions abound!

I dislike how some people are just comercializeing on the 9-11 attacks for personal gain. Everyone is saying 9-11 this or that so they can get more money for themselves. For some, it is a racket...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Why borrow from the locals? Potato must have some friends... Even in this thread there are people positive about him.

Just the thought of him being a BASE jumper on top of a nice building on a very nice evening with good weather conditions, walking down just doesn't seem right...:|.

Respect for the offer made by him though. His heart must be in the right place.

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

the one and only potatohead.
yes, he landed a mr bill (sweet)
yes, he landed in the prison (dumb)
yes, he took a point blank shot to the head with a potato gun cracking the motorcycle helmut he had on.
shooter honors go to digger cooper.

g

What!?!?!... no video of the potato shot???? That would've made my day! :D:D:D

Dude, I am with Toymaker, it is hard to believe
a jumper took a shot to the dome with a spud gun
and did not think to get video of it :)
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Another, not too related, thought: I know that Potatohead has the "Death Rig" (converted Javelin) that I've seen him jump.

Hey Tom....
It's a converted Dolphin with a Raven....
I just met him 2 weeks ago at one of our local bars and he was showing it to me...;)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

What aspects of the rig make it a "Death Rig"?
take care,
space

He had to ring someone twice once to ask them how to hold the D-bag for a "student" that was to make their first jump on it

(we overheard him at the bar...)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I thought so, there can only be a few potato heads in the USA that base and skydive.

Yup, Billy Richards was pissed when he heard Potato Head landed that. I think he was grounded for a while after that....

There is video.

PLEASE!! dont make me beg!!! :D:D

What aspects of the rig make it a "Death Rig"?
take care,
space

where to start...

the fact that it started life as a dolphin and then with some sloppy cutting and nasty sewing became a two-pin container

the bridle was made from three different pieces of tape, of two different types, one being the correct type for a bridle and the other being slightly wider than normal binding tape

it was sewn together quite scarily and covered in friction burns, some of them almost halfway through the tape's whole width

Potatohead quite proudly told me that this bridle once failed on an antenna jump but he managed to get the canopy out anyways and sew the bridle together again.

those seemed to me like reasons why some people might call it a death rig

the one and only potatohead.
yes, he landed a mr bill (sweet)
yes, he landed in the prison (dumb)
yes, he took a point blank shot to the head with a potato gun cracking the motorcycle helmut he had on.
shooter honors go to digger cooper.

g

Hollywood when did u move out west?
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

The best thing you can do when seen by anybody, be it police or the guy walking his dog late at night, is to show that you are a friendly, polite, intelligent and productive member of society with just another hobby.

I found myself sitting on the curb with about six police officers staring at me like I was a circus freak the other night.
There were several ways this could have turned out, but the fact that I was friendly, didn't try to run, and didn't act like an idiot, probably saved my ass.
A concerned citizen saw me, thought I was committing suicide, and called the police. By the time I came back from shutting the elevator down, I was surrounded. I explained myself, told them who I was and what I was doing, and all I could do was wait for the outcome. I was reminded of the fact I had just committed a federal offense since I was on a television tower.
Long story short, they told me it wasn't their call as to whether or not I went to jail. So they called the tower owner to see if they wanted to press charges.
You know what the station manager's main concern was? He told the police to let me know that I had just been exposed to enough rays that I would probably be sterilized and that I may need to go get checked out. They were more concerned about my health than the fact I was trespassing on their tower.
The police told me I was free to go, "we appreciate your cooperation". I have a feeling if I had ran and they had to chase me, it would have turned out different.
So yea, being the rebel idiot may work if the circumstances are right, but if you are caught, you are caught. Be polite, take responsibility for your actions, be willing to accept the outcome, or just jump the legal stuff.

Just my opinion.

Rod

Exactly, your caught, deal with it, no need to make this a COPS episode. BASE jumpers are not, generally, white trash attention hungry stupid degenerate fucks. so dont act like one when you get busted. when a friend and i got 'caught' it wasn't a big deal once we explained everything and promised never to return to that object. once caught, you're busted, no need to run and make things worse.

BASE jumpers are not, generally, white trash attention hungry stupid degenerate fucks.

I'm glad you qualified that.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

potatoe head got kicked off the dz whenhe was shit faced on the plane and then said he would tell the faa that the pilot new he was jumping drunk that was a 1 0r 2 year abn
but i have to say for my first base jump he packed my rig while he was tripping on mushrooms and so what if he left my toogles set up for slider off jumps when it was a slider up jump it just took a while for thei only had a 180

there are so many great ,respectfull people on this board that in know(and respect) but this is one reason i no longer come on very much,at all so many new punks (pukes) in this sport that just don't get it!!!!! very sad.......formaly from the east coast i now have lived in utah for 4 years and am lucky to go to moab monthly and the bridge if i choose,and am still doing bandit jumps (that no one knows other than my crew)now i may not be the pretentious little worm that cane jet set around the world base jumping all the greats...but i have my world here in the states and it sucks to see what some of u punks are doing to it.........go a head flame away i will never hide!!!!!!!!!

i dont get it what are u talking about have u been drinking again. put the bottle down dude theres a thing called rehab. and dont be so angry lets all hug like brothers