BASE1036

Two Busted in Tampa....

So many things wrong with this story!

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/3/9/229672.html

Two men are legal hot water after police say one of them jumped off a high rise building in downtown Tampa early Tuesday.

According to Tampa police, two men climbed up 33 floors inside the Skypoint Condominiums, which are under construction downtown.

Police say 43-year old William Stroup, also known as "Wild Bill," parachuted more than 400-feet from the building while 32-year-old Brian Barbarossa, who's known as "Potato," videotaped the incident.

Detectives said a motorist called 911 after a parachute went over the top of his car and landed in a empty lot.

More Information
Watch as William Stroup allegedly jumps from a Tampa condo
E-mail the TV reporter for this story, Summer Smith
"He claims to be a professional skydiver and says this is his 900th jump and this is his second BASE jump," Detective Greg Stout, of the Tampa Police Department said of Stroup. "He told us previously he jumped off a high antenna out of Polk County."

Stroup and Barbarossa told detectives they're skydivers and occasional BASE jumpers who have been training in Zephyrhills. Tampa police said they may not have been the first to jump in downtown Tampa.

"From conversation and video itself it seems like other people have done this before off of this same building," Stout said.

Police say Brian Barbarossa taped the jump.
Barbarossa is charged with felony trespassing and charges are pending against Stroup.

BASE jumping gets its name from where people perform the jumps--from Buildings, Antennas, Spans (a bridge, arch or dome) or a cliff or other natural formation on the Earth.

Police warned other potential BASE jumpers that they're watching and plan to punish anyone caught in the act.

Why the fuck you tryin' to burn one of the only good objects we have here in Polk??
Rule #1 - Shut the Fuck Up....
Rule #2 - See rule #1
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com

Stroup and Barbarossa told detectives they're skydivers and occasional BASE jumpers who have been training in Zephyrhills. Tampa police said they may not have been the first to jump in downtown Tampa.

agreed, sht yo mouths....

occasional base jumpers? (shoudl have said it was a one time thing or nothign at all)
training at zhills? WTF!:S
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

He claims to be a professional skydiver and says this is his 900th jump and this is his second BASE jump," Detective Greg Stout, of the Tampa Police Department said of Stroup. "He told us previously he jumped off a high antenna out of Polk County."

Are people really doing their second BASE jump from a building? I would say that he might be lying, except that he gave details on his first jump.

You would think he would either say it was his first, or not say anything at all if he had multiple jumps.

These guys must have been slow, or the cops really fast.

I wonder how 'early' it was.

Edited to add:

What do people on here think about the effects of starting posts like this. Does it further/worsen the effects of the burnt object by bringing it more into the public eye? OR, Is it necessary, so that other jumpers will know not to jump this object again, as it is hot? Does one out weigh the other?

Just got me wondering. Anyone have any thoughts?

Wow, such talented arsonists are rare, they're very skilled at burning! It's amazing, what a job.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Edited to add:

What do people on here think about the effects of starting posts like this. Does it further/worsen the effects of the burnt object by bringing it more into the public eye? OR, Is it necessary, so that other jumpers will know not to jump this object again, as it is hot? Does one out weigh the other?

Just got me wondering. Anyone have any thoughts?

I don't think it would usually be necessasry if you applied the "call the local rule."
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

These guys must have been slow, or the cops really fast.

I'm betting the guy who video'd the jump walked down. the jumper (or the cops) probably sat waiting for him.

I wonder how 'early' it was.

watching the video, I'd say it was night time. the lack of traffic also is a clue.

What do people on here think about the effects of starting posts like this. Does it further/worsen the effects of the burnt object by bringing it more into the public eye? OR, Is it necessary, so that other jumpers will know not to jump this object again, as it is hot?

would you prefer ONLY tales of success? give the readers of this forum a distorted perception of the possibilities?

I'm guessing here, but if they did NOT have a camera up top, maybe they would NOT have been caught?

maybe people will be more careful regarding who they take to sites. we ought not take canaries...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

such rampant speculation from so many not involved.

i think that maybe blah blah blah.

If it is true that they had a camera person at exit, on a building, they deserve to be in jail...

Granted I know that the press is normally wrong... So I'm hoping that I read it wrong.

After graduating from FJC, people like this should attend "High Profile 101 - The Do's and Don'ts"...

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

such rampant speculation from so many not involved.

i think that maybe blah blah blah.

open your mind.
make this a learning opportunity.

as we think through various scenarios and plan our actions accordingly, we become better jumpers. we can increase our chances of success. what you call speculation, I would call risk management.

the previous "speculation" may or may not be fact. that does not make it a less illustrative lesson. we should not be sloppy jumpers.

besides, those who know the real facts should NOT post. let law enforcement sort it out themselves.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Is this the statute they were charged with? I trimmed out some of the statute included here and upcased the interesting parts. The last line is upper case in the statute. This is not legal advice. I hope their lawyers actually read the statute.

810.011 Definitions.--As used in this chapter:
(1) "STRUCTURE" means a building of any kind, either temporary or permanent, WHICH HAS A ROOF OVER IT, together with the curtilage thereof. However, during the time of a state of emergency declared by executive order or proclamation of the Governor under chapter 252 and within the area covered by such executive order or proclamation and for purposes of ss. 810.02 and 810.08 only, the term means a building of any kind or such portions or remnants thereof as exist at the original site, regardless of absence of a wall or roof.
(5)(a) "POSTED land" is that land upon which SIGNS ARE PLACED not more than 500 feet apart along, and at each corner of, the boundaries of the land, upon which SIGNS there appears prominently, in letters of not less than 2 inches in height, the words "no trespassing" and in addition thereto the name of the owner, lessee, or occupant of said land. Said signs shall be placed along the boundary line of posted land in a manner and in such position as to be clearly noticeable from outside the boundary line.

810.09 Trespass on property OTHER THAN STRUCTURE or conveyance.--
(1)(a) A person who, without being authorized, licensed, or invited, willfully enters upon or remains in any property OTHER THAN A STRUCTURE or conveyance:
1. As to which notice against entering or remaining is given, either by actual communication to the offender or by posting, fencing, or cultivation as described in s. 810.011; or
2. If the property is the unenclosed curtilage of a dwelling and the offender enters or remains with the intent to commit an offense thereon, other than the offense of trespass, commits the offense of trespass on property other than a structure or conveyance.
(b) As used in this section, the term "unenclosed curtilage" means the unenclosed land or grounds, and any outbuildings, that are directly and intimately adjacent to and connected with the dwelling and necessary, convenient, and habitually used in connection with that dwelling.
(2)(a) Except as provided in this subsection, trespass on property other than a structure or conveyance is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(b) If the offender defies an order to leave, personally communicated to the offender by the owner of the premises or by an authorized person, or if the offender willfully opens any door, fence, or gate or does any act that exposes animals, crops, or other property to waste, destruction, or freedom; unlawfully dumps litter on property; or trespasses on property other than a structure or conveyance, the offender commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(c) If the offender is armed with a firearm or other dangerous weapon during the commission of the offense of trespass on property other than a structure or conveyance, he or she is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. Any owner or person authorized by the owner may, for prosecution purposes, take into custody and detain, in a reasonable manner, for a reasonable length of time, any person when he or she reasonably believes that a violation of this paragraph has been or is being committed, and that the person to be taken into custody and detained has committed or is committing the violation. If a person is taken into custody, a law enforcement officer shall be called as soon as is practicable after the person has been taken into custody. The taking into custody and detention in compliance with the requirements of this paragraph does not result in criminal or civil liability for false arrest, false imprisonment, or unlawful detention.
(d) The offender commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the property trespassed is a construction site that is legally posted and identified in substantially the following manner: "THIS AREA IS A DESIGNATED CONSTRUCTION SITE, AND ANYONE WHO TRESPASSES ON THIS PROPERTY COMMITS A FELONY."

thats potato head

The one who shot himself with a potato gun to his head with a motorcyclehelmet on from one foot away which split the helmet? Its on video.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

Glumm called police.

"I didn't know he jumped out of a building," Glumm later told a reporter. "We could have been under attack."

Thanks god he was here to do his part to save the US...

Thank you captain america:S

but on the other hand the jumper could have used some people skills, told him what he did and Glumm might have went on his merry way...
Leroy

if patotoehead jumped they would not have gotten cought
bad patata
bad patata
and whats with a pca from 400 feet
patatoe does look good in those pics though

can any of u guys guess why we call him potatoe head

Glumm later told a reporter. "We could have been under attack."

:S

Did they test this guy for LSD or E usage??
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

"Urban Paratrooper" It was in the title of one of the news stories.

Cheers to whoever coined that term...I fucking love it!!!

Reads like if they had been slightly more cordial to the spectator, there would have been no issues. Lets face it, there are very limited possibilities to assume why someone would be parachuting into a city in the middle of the night:

1. Aircraft emergency
2. Smuggling(this was Florida you know and not everyone is cool with illegal immigration or blow)
3. BASE

And it sounds like BASE never crossed the dudes mind.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I love illegal immigrants with blow that base jump.

what the fuck tater.....? thought you could BS better than that, never admit a thing.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

None of us locals are shocked by this arrest. Good ole potato has a habit of taking people out and PCAing them for their first or second jump off of our local A's. He got someone arrested last year by saying he knew the people that owned the tower and land. They went day blazing and got BUSTED. So NO doubt it was this guys second jump. Yes good ole potato lent this guy his ragged out gear to PCA him. So the jumper had to wait for him to climb down. I am just glad he is a professional BASE jumper. We thought he was going to stay in NY and be a curse on your objects but the warm winters and J Gates funeral brought him back to all of our dismay. Funny here in Florida its a federal offense trespassing on a construction site so this could get a bit ugly for him. Some people never learn. NY please take him back we beg you!!!!!

we would love to have him back
but he says its a pian im the neck to live here somrthing about several warents

Glumm later told a reporter. "We could have been under attack."

:S

Did they test this guy for LSD or E usage??

while the jumpers are morons, the witness had a good point to think that they were out of airplanes. i mean, where else do parachutes come from? and 'dont tell anyone you saw us'? ? ?

thats Nazi invasion right there.
morons.

None of us locals are shocked by this arrest. Good ole potato has a habit of taking people out and PCAing them for their first or second jump off of our local A's. He got someone arrested last year by saying he knew the people that owned the tower and land. They went day blazing and got BUSTED. So NO doubt it was this guys second jump. Yes good ole potato lent this guy his ragged out gear to PCA him. So the jumper had to wait for him to climb down. I am just glad he is a professional BASE jumper. We thought he was going to stay in NY and be a curse on your objects but the warm winters and J Gates funeral brought him back to all of our dismay. Funny here in Florida its a federal offense trespassing on a construction site so this could get a bit ugly for him. Some people never learn. NY please take him back we beg you!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't have said it better myself. Although I feel terribly sorry for the local crews trying to keep it on the down low, it's comical to watch this guy make a complete fucking chowderhead of himself and anyone around him. He is currently and has been for several years the laughing stock of our DZ. If anyone ever deserved to be tarred and feathered it would be this idiot. Potato head: you are a retard, and it's pure luck you haven't killed anyone yet. The worst part is that I don't know anyone who has actually seen you jump.

You talk a lot of shit................even I went for it before there was an intervention by real base jumpers. You should go home and stay there where you are obviously a fucking hero

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

The East coast John Agnos maybe?

They even look alike.

"HIGAF" Honestly I Give A F*^%

I've jumped w/ tater before........ he is actually a decent jumper on all objects that i've been on w/him. little balsy.... but aren't we all? True sportsman to the end

hey towerrat..... go fuck your self...... tater has heart

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson