basemman06

Should we use polls in forums?

Before the flaming starts, this is all in good spirit.
Looking forward to meeting at our next exit.

In other forums only moderators can use this option, t.m. you have questioned one.
Maybe a better choice?

Seriously though, polls often chuck out broadly the right answer; you just have to remember that it's usually only those with extreme views that respond, with the (usually large) moderate majority failing to speak...
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

:)interesting options...

most things are simply tools (not in the climber sense). they can be used for good or ill. skydiving rigs can be great, but not from 500 feet. it's up to individuals to use tools well.

people interpret polls/statistics to suit their purpose. ask leading questions, provide highly biased answers from which to choose, etc. all slant the results. a classic example is "what is the best rig on the market?" most of the responders simply reply with the rig they use. a better question is "what rig do you own?"

unfortunately, I see some use the polls in a way that can differentiate between us. these polls tend to divide us into cliques based on various preferences. I'd rather think of BASE jumpers as unique, freethinking individuals who do not need group approval. let each of us choose our own style (that does not interfere with others) and enjoy what others create...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

why would anybody flame you?

do what you want. this forum if free. this aint IRAN. if you do sumthin' wrong TOM A. will let you know. i guess when the poll sux nobody will respond. and then you'll know YOU did somthin' wrong.

later
NPS SUX ASS

haha, no worries man. I don't care about the flaming. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, regardless of how wrong they may be. This entire poll was based on comments made in the other poll I started.

I happen to agree with a LOT of what you've said in the other posting. I just didn't want people to start the same BS again...with absolutely no point or basis...
Looking forward to meeting at our next exit.