Banannie

How many BASE jumpers are there?

Hey crew,

I am writing a paper for school. (which I will eventually use as a basis to legalize BASE and paragliding in US National Parks ;))

I need to get an approximation of how many BASE jumpers there are in the world.

Does anyone know, or have an estimate supported by some evidence?

Thanks!

Ah whon, ah twooo, ah thrrree.

There are three. Three BASE jumpers.

I know I'm not the only one old enough on here to remember that commercial

Consult the Oracle...he would know.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Hoo boy.

Banannie, read the archives and you'll see that publicity of BASE is seen as a big problem, and getting bigger. Even some posts from the last week will provide some insight.

You're likely not going to get much help from people here. You're better off writing a paper on something like rock climbing. You'll find lots of information on that, and can write about the same sort of access issues.

Otherwise, the only statistics you're likely to find is on the BASE fatalities list. I won't give the link -- you should be able to find it.

What kind of school is this? What level/grade are you in? Presumably you are based in the US, since you are interested in US parks?
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

Actually, I don’t think helping out high school and college level students doing "papers" on BASE is a bad thing. Over the years I've done it a lot. I'll turn down Oprah but not a kid with a notebook.

I don't have time right now (I'm off to my own classes in a minute) to go into all the reasons I do it, but these people are the future, they aren’t out to make to a buck off us, and the resulting paper is only seen by a handful of other people. I like that they are interested in the history of the sport, and not just the wow factor. And it's one more person in the world who'll have an positive appreciation for the sport.

Some months back I took two college kids to Jean Boenish's house for an interview. And who knows, one of these students could grow up to be President, or someone really important like head of the NPS.

And they don’t generally ever take up the sport themselves. So I don’t worry about them hurting themselves. In fact I can only recall one that did start BASE jumping and that was a UCLA student twenty years ago.

I'll PM this fellow when I have a chance . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

He stood completely still, letting the calm excitement wash through him like a swelling tide. He looked terrified. He looked exhilarated; he looked apologetic, blissful, and brave beyond imagining, at ease and completely petrified at the exact same time. It was beautiful.

Only one of the coolest descriptions ever.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

thats why i love my sister!

She got to make a FRASCA jump in november, and now she knows what it feels like.

i know of three, in my neighborhood. so, at least that many.:)

Man get it right, they are really in your BASEment...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Good Grief. Thank you for your sincere assistance guys.
I don’t think it should matter. I just wanted an answer if someone had it, not comments about some college kid not deserving an answer, but to clarify
I am:
In my last semester of Law School
A skydiver (400ish)
A BASE jumper (140ish)
Female

I admit it was silly of me to hope for a serious reply from this, or any forum. I guess I was just hoping that someone like Tom had already done some sort of research on this subject.
So here is my new approach: I will contact the main BASE manufactures out there and see if they keep track of the number of rigs they have sold. I know it will be a flawed measurement of how many of us there are, but it will be better than nothing.
Consequently, I have a new question:

I know of the following BASE manufacturers. Can you all add any more and their contact into? (especially international ones)
Asylum
Apex
Morpheus
Gravity Sports
Leading Edge
Paratech Rigging

I know of the following BASE manufacturers. Can you all add any more and their contact into? (especially international ones)
Asylum
Apex
Morpheus
Gravity Sports
Leading Edge
Paratech Rigging

unless you know something I don't, you can cross Paratech Rigging from that list as they no longer make any gear

I think the same goes for Gravity Sports.

www.adrenalinbase.com they make the Hybrid and Zak harness/container
Bombproof maded the Neo harness/container but has sence retired
Softcock harness/container made by some guy named Ray
Stunts harness/container no longer being made but i have one
www.atmogear.com Atmosphere harness/container
Paraavis Beast harness/container www.paraavis.com/parachutes/base/
Hummit harness/container not sure who or were this one is made

hope this helps
Cya
Sky:P

I need to get an approximation of how many BASE jumpers there are in the world. Does anyone know, or have an estimate...

There are about 1200 people with a BASE number.

I estimate there are at least 12,000 people that have made a BASE jump at one point or another.

I estimate there are about 4000 active BASE jumpers, where active means more ten or more BASE jumps in a year.

I also suspect that I might be able to derive some information through the BASE fatality list and a quick count of how many BASE jumpers me and my fellow jumpers have known that are now dead.

... supported by some evidence?

That, I don't have I'm afraid. I'm just guestimating.

You've probably picked up that there are a bunch of dick heads who BASE who seem overly precious when it comes to talking to non-baser's or reporters.

I had a general discussion with a couple of mates about the number of active jumpers (more than 30-50/yr)...and yes this is an arbitrary number. We benchmarked it against the number of similar faces we see amongst new faces e.g I knew 10% of people by face in KL, and balanced against the number of total jumpers we knew. At a crude estimate we thought about a 1000 active jumpers but this was just a stab in the dark albeit lighted with a single match.

best of luck

There will be a lot of people that do less than 30 fixed object jumps a year. I am one of them. Then again, I don't call myself a BASE jumper. I am just a fair weather big E jumper.

Kris.

No one actually jumps, they just talk about it here.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

4000 is too many.

I think Neil is correct. About 1000 seems about right given the visits to various cities around the world.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Nah, it fluctuates from around 17 to 45 depending on the seaon or if it's a leap year. With the new Day Lights Savings schema, it may jump up to 60 for part of the year.

It's hard to find another BASE jumper anywhere in the Bay Area.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It's hard to find another BASE jumper anywhere in the Bay Area.

Mick K. and Dennis are in hiding, eh??
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

[It's hard to find another BASE jumper anywhere in the Bay Area. ]

Yeah, I didn't see any last night. ;)

[It's hard to find another BASE jumper anywhere in the Bay Area. ]

Yeah, I didn't see any last night. ;)

neither did the helicopter spot light or ground search lights. although i dont believe they were looking for base jumpers:D

4000 is too many.

I think Neil is correct. About 1000 seems about right given the visits to various cities around the world.

I sat down with a friend once and we could name 120 (I think it was) UK jumpers between us. Not all were what you may call active (I say 12 jumps a yrear, 1 a month, is active) but a large proportion were. I hear of other countries having low numbers of jumpers, I guess if you try and have as many people as possible estimate their own country number of jumpers then some reasonable estimate can be had.

4000 does seem high to me, but 1000 feels a little low.

Isn't Dennis in prison?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I can tell you that in Mexico there are 10 Base jumpers , but active ones only three , so of a country with 89,000,000 people I can say not many guys have " guebos" :D

Cheers
Gabo