urmo

height evaluation

Now I know. So next week it's time to tune my DBS and do some riser vs. toggle testing...

What is interesting to me is, why did you have to get hurt first before you realized this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking a stab at you. I've done plenty of stupid things and could have prepared better to avoid those cases where I got myself in trouble.

Information is readily available to everybody. Yet so many of us ignore it until we learn lessons on our own. Understanding the mechanics of our choice to ignore this information may improve the guidance we offer to future jumpers.

I would say the first one (which is commonly implied when one speaks of "faster") is of no importance. The second two are crucial. If there was a way I could turn my canopy with zero forward speed and not losing any altitude, except it would take thirty minutes; I would obviously prefer that.

I was taught to pull both risers or toggles (depending in wether or not you are a toggle or riser person) down which will stop the canopy. thereafter you snap one arm down and the other one up (depending on which way you want to turn).

When executing this you will eliminate forward drive. Therefore it is very possible!

I am a riser guy at the moment but I am training to be on toggles primarily. Once you are fast enough and confident on your toggles...I believe they are the better option!

Joe

"we can either clmib down...or take the 15 second express shuttle" ---- during a snow storm on a 1000 foot antenna

When executing this you will eliminate forward drive. Therefore it is very possible!

Are you speaking from experience? Can you share any GPS data or video of this?

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Almost every time heading needs to be corrected, I have done the maneuver I described.

Furthermore...Myself and some friends have seen it done as well. Video is available.

Of course you may have some drive at first in between the time you grab your toggles or risers. I guess if we are gonna be picky, then forward drive isn't fully eliminated....if you're too slow!

FINAL NOTE: IF YOU ARE FAST ENOUGH ON YOUR TOGGLES AND ARE DIALED IN ....FORWARD DRIVE WILL NOT EXIST ANYMORE THEN IF YOU WERE USING YOUR RISERS!

Videos on my mentors site probably show it and I have some of my jumps on camera which show it as well.

take care

Joe

"we can either clmib down...or take the 15 second express shuttle" ---- during a snow storm on a 1000 foot antenna

I emailed Johhny Utah and asked him to put video of what he was doing during BASE Camp. These videos demonstrate how the use of toggles can minimize forward movement during and after opening while doing a heading correction.

These videos also show how quickly the canopy can be turned with minimal altitude loss with the use of toggles.

The titles of the 2 videos are:
"Toggle Heading Correction During Opening"
"Toggle Training"

http://www.johnnyutah.com/videolibrary.html

Joe

I was taught to pull both risers or toggles (depending in wether or not you are a toggle or riser person) down which will stop the canopy. thereafter you snap one arm down and the other one up (depending on which way you want to turn).

When executing this you will eliminate forward drive.

Isn't that what a properly tuned DBS is for?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.