Ronald

Base Torres del Paine, Chile

Just got news about the Russian Xtreme Project.

Valery Rozov climbed and wingsuit jumped one of the Torres del Paine (southern Chile) monoliths. He will be back in Moscow march 4th, so I assume we will hear & see more after that date.

Anyway, I take my hat of (again).

Ronald

Great news! That rocks, literally, congrats Valery!
"If you are not a part of the Solution, you are a part of the Precipitate"

Thats a pretty technical climb... Im from Chile and I can tell you that much... so.. GOOD JOB!! There are many other places they could've tried though...

If anyone is planning on visiting on the near future, PM me ;)

i would take the easy way down too :P thats an impressive accomplishment for sure!

Hi everybody!
We just back home. A few fotos from Torres del Paine (center tower) jump. It was very cold and very windy, but the wall just perfect! Total elevation 1400 m.

Valery.

Congrats Valery, great jump and inspiring photos! What route did you climb and how was the landing area?

We did Bonington route. It`s from another side of the main wall. Two days climbing up, two days waiting in storm three pitches bellow the summit:)

Congrats!!!, brother, inspiring..., I take my hat off and rise a cup of good Argentinian wine mixed with Red Bull for you.

N.

Which route did you take?

(not that there's any easy ones!)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Amazing Valery... Bravo.
Its very difficult to get nice jumpable weather in there.

Congrats!!
Gabriel

Clueless whuffo question time -- how do you get your gear back down? Do you just hook it to a spare canopy, chuck it over and hope for the best?

I've been trying to figure out the logistics in doing a rock climbing excursion that ends in a jump. Short of having a non-jumper be the lackey to carry all the gear down, I don't see what else you could do other than toss it over. Even the gear for an easy sport climb (harness, a few ropes, small amount of protection) is (afaik) too much to jump with.
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

This is to Eather. You can jump with way more then that you woos.

Now on to the real subject. What was the weather like? How long was your weather window open? How long did the climb take you from camp?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

...having a non-jumper be the lackey to carry all the gear down...

That's by far the easiest, and in my experience, most common, method.

Even the gear for an easy sport climb (harness, a few ropes, small amount of protection) is (afaik) too much to jump with.

In general, all you need to jump with is either the rope or the rack (because if the other guy isn't rapping off, he can jump with the other one). A trad rack is kind of a pain (because of the snag potential, so you need to find a way to cover it), but a rope isn't too bad. The easiest way I've found to hide the rack from snags is to use a backpack type rope bag and put the whole rack in it, then wear it on the front for the jump.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Congrats from Brazil to the Russian Extreme Project

That jump was amazing... better than any of my dreams.

Sebastian

You can jump with way more then that you woos.

Oh yeah, I'm a total wuss!! B|

it seemed like it would be too much, so I wanted to know if other people thought it was doable. From the replies so far (in this thread and PMs) all signs point to "yeah, you end up a bit like a human armadillo, but as long as you don't need to do serious tracking you'll be okay" (rephrased). :)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

REALLY NICE. That has to be very fulfilling to the sole when the day is done.

Congratulations or Pozdravlenia Valery Rozov.

Thank you sharing the pictures!!

Regards:Plamen

Apex base makes a special rig, the dpx that not only functions as a completely normal base rig but also expands in the back panel so one can carry quite a bit of gear with you. It is an evolutionary offspring of an older Moe Viletto design, then the BR Parapak. The dpx comes in two sizes, I can only speak for the smaller one, but I can easily carry one 60m rope and an entire rack of trad gear, climbing shoes, etc etc.

I guess they do not regularly sell this conatainer (yet?) but should be soon, and it might still be available/made for special requests.

http://www.apexbase.com/portal/commerce.asp?CatId=71&ProdId=ParaPak2

Wayne
"If you are not a part of the Solution, you are a part of the Precipitate"