meekerboy

How safe is your A?

BASE jumpers invest good money on equipment, FJC's and skydiving training. However, have you ever checked if you are wandering into radition hotspots on your local A?

A couple of years I found a radiation meter used by professionals called a Radman. It can detect everything from low density power radition from power towers up to microwaves. It is callibrated to recognised safety limits and will beep / flash at you when you are in a hotspot. I have used mine successfully and I now kit up on some objects in a different place to reduce the exposure to a bare minimum.

There is one on ebay now if you search for Radman.

Has anyone else every bought one?

No, I don't. What type of readings have you found, and on what types of A's? I wouldn't buy one. I'm not really all that concerned with it.

I would be curious as to the data you've found/collected though.
Nathan

The Radman meter displays warnings at 12.5%, 25%, 50% and 100% of maximum power density permissible under EU and US regulations. It has a logging facility but you need another expensive machine to retrieve that information.

My experience is that each tower is unique. Sometimes the device would not show anything on a freestander with loads of transmitters, dipoles, dishes etc on it. Other times, it would beep strongly once you climbed or walked into a certain zone. Each place is unique.

I'm tempted to say that I'd rather not know. Ignorance is bliss!

How dangerous is the highest reading you've had? And where was it? (ie infront of a stinger)

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

It went to 100% bleeping fast and it was as soon as I got to the exit point out of a solid tube of the A.

Urgh

It went to 100% bleeping fast and it was as soon as I got to the exit point out of a solid tube of the A.

If thats where I think then you are below a UHF transmitter 'stinger' .....so I'd expect it to be pretty high...?
Is there anything 'worse' than a stinger in terms of that type of radiation..?
Are 'Radomes' /Radar / Microwave transmitters any worse ....any better..?
Or is it all down to the transmitted direction and strength of radiation..?

Do you know what the percentage figures mean? Eg "100%: exposure for more than 30 minutes likely to cause permanant soft tissue damage".

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I don't know is the honest answer. However the Radman has beeped in places where it I did not expect.