Andy_Copland

Have the BASE forums gone to shit.

straight out of the Skin school of thought. it is valid, and probably more correct. I choose to try to remain positive and attempt to help. if we don't give up until impact, why give up here?

:)

-SPACE-

But the stakes are higher now as besides basic security concerns it's unconscionable we dangle BASE jumping so freely in front of a larger than it used to be crowd of the young and impressionable. If you don’t agree with that then it follows you either believe BASE is an everyman's sport, or worse, you just don’t give a shit when someone is injured, maimed, or killed.

I believe that it is each person's right to choose their own course in life, inasmuch as that course doesn't hinge on stopping others from doing the same. I also believe that BASE is among the most beautiful things I've experienced, and that such things should not be relegated to the shadows.

While the idea of people getting injured or killed bothers me, the idea of hiding something so remarkable in an ill-conceived attempt to protect people from themselves bothers me even more.

>>The point I'm trying to make is I think the education process would be a lot harder without online information such as dz and basewiki (or heaven forbid the fatality list).<<

Ether,

While that may be true, it's not necessary wrong, or a bad thing. Many started out in BASE without those things, and without mentors in their present form. In the eighties I heard lots of stories from jumpers who with no other way in, stood in the loading zones of large drop zones whispering, "BASE, anyone here BASE, psssst BASE?"

My only BASE instruction when I started was directions to the local tower. Advanced information consisted of, "Don’t touch that thing there or you'll get electrocuted." What has replaced that haphazard way of starting BASE is showing up with the perquisite skydives, money in hand, at a recognized BASE course. Not as romantic as the old days but that's the way of it. And the mentor thing should come after that.

I always try and guide anyone who takes a course, finds me, and bangs on my door. I don’t "teach" BASE per say anymore as my methods are my own and dated, but I will "guide" you on local sites and show you how to get in, get up, and get away. I'll drink beer with you and "teach" you about your past. And so will lots of other jumpers. So it's not as dire as you make it out to be.

In a way it's now easier to get into BASE then it's ever been. If the WX is bad where you are, or money is tight, get yourself to somewhere those things aren’t an issue. Pick up trash at a DZ for the skydives and live in your car if you must. Then camp out in the parking lot of a BASE manufacturer (Or Tom's house ;) ) until they take pity on you and give you a job picking the stitches from damaged canopies.

Then come to So Cal and see me. If I can’t help you at the time I'll put you onto someone else who can. I have a little black book full of jumpers I've helped over the last twenty years who can't refuse me, which is sad, as I remember when that book was only full of woman's phone numbers who couldn't refuse me . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

"when were the BASE forums NOT shit?"

before the banning of maggot and evil. now lets see if i get banned too, you know all you have to do is disagree with the "wrong person" i mean he even banned their friends?????? yea this place has gone to shit.

2 cents, why shouldnt he be able to see local sites on GC? I see nothing wrong with someone without alot of experience groundcrewing. does everyone you go with to ground crew you have an extensive background of base jumps and or skydives? and if so, why arent they jumping with you?

I see nothing wrong with someone without alot of experience groundcrewing.

Me neither. I have friends that have never skydived (nor have an interest ever getting into BASE) that groundcrew for me.

Does everyone you go with to ground crew you have an extensive background of base jumps and or skydives?

Not at all, but I expect other things from my groundcrew. Mostly, I need to know you well to be sure you can handle the situation it things goes wrong. Secondly, if you have even the slightest inkling of wanting to get into BASE yourself, you'll need to show a lot more than "having read BASE wiki" before I will let you GC or show you my "jump sites".

cessna54tango, my girlfriend just got a Pug, so we love the avatar!

But back on topic, this place is fine and does the job it wants to do most of the time. Trying to get BASE jumpers to not get thier panties in a bunch and come to an agreement on anything is pretty freakin hard. Try not to let a small screen say anything to get you too stressed.

"those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind" mt.lion667
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

"those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind" mt.lion667

Isn't that a dr seuss quote? :P

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

I need to know you well to be sure you can handle the situation it things goes wrong.

My mom ground crews for me sometimes. She has no desire to skydive or base jump. I know her pretty well, and who better to trust when your life is on the line?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

I need to know you well to be sure you can handle the situation it things goes wrong.

My mom ground crews for me sometimes. She has no desire to skydive or base jump. I know her pretty well, and who better to trust when your life is on the line?

Honest question.... How would she handle it if she were to watch her daughter go in before her eyes?

There's a big difference between getting a phone call and seeing it all happen in living colour... [:/]

I ain't raggin on ya, just personally I couldn't do that to my own folks. Cool mum you got tho :)

Holly's parents ROCK! :)They have welcomed many a BASE jumper into their home and seem to be supportive of her.

I dont think they have gone to shit....Without DZ I wouldnt be able to give her parents the props they deserve.
Alan

Honest question.... How would she handle it if she were to watch her daughter go in before her eyes?

That is a good question! I have talked to both of my parents about this very thing. My dad doesn't watch my jumps in person much anymore because of this very reason. He can't stand watching his baby get hurt. My mother though is one of those people that really would rather be there, and see it herself, than get information second hand. She was with me when a fellow jumper went in literally before our eyes, and has stuck with her decision to watch my jumps, and help out, whenever possible.

I think it's very important to talk with your family about jumping, and help them be involved however they desire. Letting my family participate in ground crewing, driving, or dinners, helps them accept my jumping. The first time I asked if a jumper could stay at the house my father was really nervous, but he soon realized jumpers are respectful people. I think of it as two more people that are on our side if all the chips came crumbling down.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

My mom ground crews for me sometimes.

that is too cool.
it sounds like you appreciate the outstanding support as well.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

That is a good question! I have talked to both of my parents about this very thing. My dad doesn't watch my jumps in person much anymore because of this very reason. He can't stand watching his baby get hurt. My mother though is one of those people that really would rather be there, and see it herself, than get information second hand. She was with me when a fellow jumper went in literally before our eyes, and has stuck with her decision to watch my jumps, and help out, whenever possible.

I think it's very important to talk with your family about jumping, and help them be involved however they desire. Letting my family participate in ground crewing, driving, or dinners, helps them accept my jumping. The first time I asked if a jumper could stay at the house my father was really nervous, but he soon realized jumpers are respectful people. I think of it as two more people that are on our side if all the chips came crumbling down.

Great response, thanks for sharing :)

Kinda on the same subject. . .

I started BASE when i was 18, and the rents didnt like it to much to say the least. funny, my pops always told me that i should paraglide instead:S:):P...
My uncle owns a tower in WI, and the whole fam came out to watch me open this super sketchy wire stayed 360' tower, outside climb and all. it was great. legal A jumping all day long.
I just last week bought pops a gift ceritficate for a tandem paraglider flight... i hope he does not think of me visiting HIM in the hospital for 3 months...:P:P:P

also, in november, my parents came out to see FRASCA. they stayed for the weekend, and on the last day, my mom and sisters jumped it. pops had to leave, but he said he would like to someday.

it took them 4 years, but i think they accept it now.