wonderfly

20/20 and jeb

He's got to get his 20 minutes of fame. That's what it was all about to begin with. [:/]
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Cool hand Luke won out over Jeb.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Can anyone post it on skydivingmovies.com. I forgot to DVR it and missed it.

please DO NOT.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I saw "Cool Hand Luke" during a film class in college.
I did NOT see Jeb on TV since I do not watch TV.
Can you elaborate?

Great line from the former:

What we have here is a failure to communicate.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Not even worth wasting the server space!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Well...good, bad, or indifferent I'd still like to know what was said.

Regardless of opinions it would be appreciated if someone could post it, somewhere.

Thanks
Coco

please DO NOT.

why not?

please DO NOT.

why not?

because it feeds into many of the problems besetting the sport.

BASE used to be something you really wanted to do. you had to show a lot of interest. you had to earn whatever you chose. I don't believe in facilitating. if someone thought it was a must see, well, make time.

I believe BASE should be personal, not public. what purpose will the interview serve? Jeb did not control the message. heck, even when he hosted his show, his message ws probably filtered by editors. either way, the publicity will fuel the debate for those seeking to write new laws. "look how many of them are out there! we must control them!"

many in the BASE community seem addicted to online video. it is an addiction that should be broken. an amazing amount of jumpers can recognize the well known sites, even without having been there. guess which sites are facing access issues because of sloppy jumping? keep it personal, not public. (oh, and the really cool, badass types NEVER walk around talking about it. they get known by OTHERS talking about them. posting your own video? yikes...)

in BASE, details matter. the above points may seem irrelevant to you, but we need to change the mindset of the BASE community if we wish to curtail access issues. the people who want things NOW are creating problems. why encourage such behavior?
DON'T PANIC

That is actualy the best retort i have gotten yet.
i dont disagree on any particular point. well said. I agree.

however, what if i had no idea it was on? i wouldnt mind watching it once online.

No, people are not addicted to online video. Well, not directly anyway. They're just addicted to the incessant gossip that the medium can provide; just like this, or other, forums.

Some people only care to see another taken down, ridiculed or whatever. Others are too busy jumping or getting on with their busy lives to care. ;)

Occasionally, it's important. If someone stands up and tries to be a "public" face for BASE, then it affects all of us, and should be critiqued... but that's about it.

It's late and I'm about to talk garbage...
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

however, what if i had no idea it was on? i wouldnt mind watching it once online.

e-mail, ftp, post to a private part of the web, cds, dvds. video tapes, etc. all work. arrange the details via PM.
DON'T PANIC

Occasionally, it's important. If someone stands up and tries to be a "public" face for BASE, then it affects all of us, and should be critiqued... but that's about it.

but every video that is available to the public features a "public" face for BASE. these videos can influence public perception, for good or ill.
DON'T PANIC

Oh, kill me now . . .

LOL! jeb is the poster child for BASE. don't need to see it, the message is always the same. i say it's time for him to get a REAL life. hahaha

flame away. hahahahahaha

That´s one thing about you basejumpers I don´t understand. I a previous thread NickDG wrote about Felix B. and the big hazzard that he is for your community. And I don´t know really know whats the big difference between his doings (in the public) and those some of you guys are doing (JC, MD, a very famous aussi, just to name a couple of them). for example when I google (or search in youtube,...) for "B.A.S.E." first search results are guys mentioned above but almost never the austrian scapegoat. does his doings burn more objects than those from others? Is it the money he´s earning? Is it his haircut?I don´t want to defend his behaviour because I don´t really care!
ok, maybe you think I´m a clueless besause I don´t basejump. But I am a consumer of your "publications" and I think I´m by far not the onlyone...

about Felix B. and the big hazzard that he is for your community. And I don´t know really know whats the big difference between his doings (in the public) and those some of you guys are doing (JC, MD, a very famous aussi, just to name a couple of them). for example when I google (or search in youtube,...) for "B.A.S.E." first search results are guys mentioned above but almost never the austrian scapegoat.

it is not clear to me either why Felix gets ALL the criticism...

I think the main reason is he doesn't "play well with others." by that I mean few have ever mentioned how he contributes to the community. he doesn't develop techniques, offer advice, or even present the best public image. his jumps frequently are not all that challenging.

he basically it constantly taking from the sport to provide publicity to himself and his sponsor.

I'll also state that his escapades are NOT leading to most of the sport's access issues.
DON'T PANIC

The piece shown last week was thrown into a two hour “special” of people and their neurotic fears and how the US media feeds into those fears. I definitely would have changed the channel except I wanted to see what spin they were going to put on BASE. I really wanted to change the channel when one “doctor/psychologist” was convincing people to overcome their fears by repeating an even more fearful statement – “I want the plane to crash, I want the plane to crash”. You would think in today’s age we comprehend the immense power of one’s own thoughts. Words have power. That which you focus on expands….Think good thoughts, think about what you want to have happen not about what you don’t want to have happen.
Jeb was interviewed about facing fear and developing the discipline through knowledge and experience to focus your way through it. It really didn’t focus on the beauty of BASE (nor it’s place in the judicial system). Still the same the footage from Paris and Malaysia had to have awakened the soul of any sleeping viewer. They could have talked about skydiving and have gotten the same point across that they were trying to make. Back in 2005 Pete W. was featured in a 20/20 piece over in Oz and I thought it was amazing and exhilarating. The segment’s been saved in my favorites list since, but as I just tried to access it, it said the piece no longer “exists”. The land of Oz seems to know about magic and believing in dreams as expressed through the light of the interviewer and Aussie Pete.