miko

Austria

quote:

"But you left me hanging out there like a big matzo ball . . . "

hey nick d.! i always thought you were ITALIAN?
NPS SUX ASS

I am Italian, but "Matzo ball" is just funnier than meat ball . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I don't know. I've got mixed feelings on this. In the past I've always been rather privat person. It was only about a year ago that I even started to keep an eye on this forum. I was never much of a geek. It was less then a year ago that I bought my first video camera. Before then I did have a still and a few people have seen my slides. Following my second trip north I did send out some sets of pictures of that trip but for the most part I've never been in the habit of waveing my arms and screaming look at me but even I am guilty of posting vid on youtube. Over the last few months I've been campaining hard to find a playmate for the next trip. It has felt like standing on top of a table in the middle of a crowded party with my pants down and deminutive genetaler hanging out in the breaze. Actually that's a lot less enbarising. So in short I've lost the right to throw stones.

For the last few years I've really thought that we had a chance. Moab, BLM, Perrion. It seems like we're going in the right direction.That one day we might not be hunted and have to sneek around like theives in the night. I still think that that could come to pass. Look at some of the big events at the buildings over seas. Look at RG. I've been perfectly happy to stand back and let other people take the lead and stand in front of the cameras for that. God knows I don't make much of a poster boy. You know, none of these things would have become possable with out the "Glory Hounds" that put them selves out there to be seen. They may not be the heart of the sport but they are it's face that we turn towards the public. I mean it all started some place. Ron Silver? The one that took the T-Bow off El Cap. That led directly to the Bond stunt. That was probable the first time so many people saw a base jump. Look at how commen it has become in the movies and even television. Remember the comercial with Barlea? The fact that this guy is putting his video on the climbing forums is probable not a bad thing. Who are you going to ask for help when you get stuck on a wall. Remember the access rights discusion not here but on a climbing forum? We have gone about as far as we can hideing in the dark. We might be able to continue like that for a time but in the end it's a dead end. NY is not the first place to pass a law agenst us. The only hope we have is to find more acceptance. The climbers are a good place to start. They have an ongoing fight for access. If we could get in to bed and join forces with them it would be our best chance one day jump in the parks in daylight. But none of that will happen till base is accepted on a much wider bases. No pun.
I think the real question should be about what we should be posting for people to see. Again I'm as guilty as any one. The one video I've put up was pretty herendous. I did try to make it obscure with a booring title and it seems to have worked. There was a rush of views when I posted the link and nothing sence. I don't think it was seen by many people not on this board. If you want to put your self out there then you have an obligation to represent the sport. It's like doing a demo. It's not the time to hook turn. Honestly none of them aprecate your swoop. I've herd the comments about how "Out of control that one looked." Even the most lame and benine base video blows most people away. Jeb scoreing that TV gig is about the biggest cue we've had in years. Good for him. Jeb getting busted is about the worst desaster we've had in years. It's like when Jan Daves went in. That only set the sport back ten years. People need to think a bit more about what they are doing.

This brings us to a totaly diffrent subject of some of the things people are doing in base. I'd been rather inactive for a couple of years doing other things. When I finally made it up to Perrion. It was a bit of a shock what I was seeing there. Maybe I'm an old pansy. It was also a rather a bad expereance with trying to run a first jump course. I went up there with a couple of guys and then a bunch of other people showed up. It was my first expereance with dealling with people who were weened on modern video. They thought doing acrobatics like jeb was normal. I'm not sure what part of, "I think your fifth jump is a bit early to be doing aireals." was unclear. But the next thing I know I look over and he's trying to do a front flip. "Do you see how the hill on this side constricts the valley? See how the wind is forming little white caps on the waves. I don't really know this site but I think it might be a little windy even at the bottom." I honestly thought that was fairly clear meteralogical accesment and sence we had already made ten jumps I saw no reason we had to make another that day. I was actualy surprised when I stated that I was not going to jump that they would insest on doing so them selves. More then any thing else I just remember being a lot more afraid as a young jumper. That expereance was followed by Turkey which was an even bigger eye opener. It wasn't just the things that happened or the way they happened. It was the nonevents. The things that should have by all rights been accedents. The guys tripple off jugornot was spectacular. The line twist on opening were great. I loved the way his canopy did a full 180 degree turn inside the canyon while he kicked out of line twist with no way to control the canopy. The stileing pose he hit with his legs as he finaly got his breaks unstowed in time to flare was classic. Every one was chearing. I myself was rolling on the floor laughing so hard I was gasping for breath. Now if you know me you know that when I do that it's not exactly complimentery. It usually meens Darwin eather has or is about to clame one of his own. In short it was a total nonevent but by all rights the guy should have been dead as a door nail. Same thing on the windy roll over video. But there was more. There was the girl that got drug off to the crown for her second cliff. She thought it was much safer becouse it seemed higher then toumb stone. Had no clue that there was no over hang or that it is shorter to impact. I mean these are just the things I was awair of.

I don't know where I'm going with this. It's late at night and I'm rambaling. What I'm trying to say is that we're at a cross roads and there is no way to go back the way we came. The box has been opened and we can not recapture what has escaped but perhaps hope still remains. The next five years will determin our fate. Things are accelerating. The only way forward is into the light not back into the darkness. We're in a war of public relations. It's a battle that cannot be won defenceivly. Some times the only hope is to charge. The only trick is to not throw your self on to the pikes. We need to be seen. We need to become a commen and accepted thing. Seen on TV, comerals, the news, movies. Till people take it for granted and think a law like the one in NY seems silly. This requires a number of things. We need to put our best foot forwards. Put on our best face. Any thing we put out there shuld be screened with an eye for the woofo. We need to create a positive public image. The internet can be our greatest allie and Our best weapon but only if we don't shoot our selves in the foot. Would you want your mother and your grand parents to see this video. What would they think of it? Yes, that meens keeping our best stuff to our selves some times. Nothing ileagle should ever be posted but all of you have good footage of what you would call boaring jumps that would be perfect. Worried about the influence of some of the jazzy radical videos that are out there? Maybe the answer is to post one of your own that is more down to earth and shows the reality of what we do.
The final issue is we need to quit fucking up. This is not a time to be pushing the limets. If some of the younger generation of jumpers is getting into trouble there are two reasons. One is that you're not there telling them that what your doing is a bad idea. There were probable a dozen people out there at the point that could have said something to Magot. If your not there then you can't make a diffrence. I was there when Jimmy and the others made the decision to end the turkey boogies. I understand why but I still think the answer is to lead not to abdicate. The other issue is whether they will lessen to you. I don't know the answer to that. Those guys flew me out there but then they ignored a lot of what I said. I don't have an answer for that. But if the "younger jumpers" are a problem then it's our fault. And it will be our fault if this sport is out lawed.

I'm going to quit typeing and go to sleep before I make my self look even more stupid.
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

For the last few years I've really thought that we had a chance. Moab, BLM, Perrion. It seems like we're going in the right direction.That one day we might not be hunted and have to sneek around like theives in the night. I still think that that could come to pass. Look at some of the big events at the buildings over seas. Look at RG. I've been perfectly happy to stand back and let other people take the lead and stand in front of the cameras for that.

Reading this I thought to myself. No matter how good it gets, and how many objects we have that become totally legal 24/7/365, we're always going to have things that we want to jump off of that we aren't allowed to. Antenna's will be bought and made for the jumping, but our local antennas will still be trespassing. Building will allow events at certain times of year or if you know the right people maybe always, but we won't be able to jump any building we want. So the best we can really hope for is more objects that should be legal, to be legal. i.e. Yosemite

I'm very drunk right now, but I think that makes sense. Legalize it.

also, some people like breaking the law and that's a part of base jumping that they like. so maybe everything not being legal is a good thing for them. Also I can see even if every region of the world had a legal object, it might get boring to you after a while and you'll want to venture to other objects in your area that aren't.

Every lock is pickable or bipassible, so every base jump is accesable without anyone ever knowing accept you, you just have to have the right plan and the right tools. Some will obvously be harder than others and might cost something out of your range, but, i'm going to stop now. hopefully this inspires some good conversation and hopefully we'll all have more legal objects soon.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

Antenna's will be bought and made for the jumping, but our local antennas will still be trespassing. Building will allow events at certain times of year or if you know the right people maybe always, but we won't be able to jump any building we want. So the best we can really hope for is more objects that should be legal, to be legal. i.e. Yosemite

I remember never noticing how many antennas existed until I started jumping from them.

I also remember realizing local authorities had no clue about the amount of BASE jumping in the area. if calls came in about people walking around a field at night, and loud noises, people would think we were poaching deer.

it just is a lot easier conducting less-than-legal jumps when no one knows to look up! the more publicity we seek, the more it will pop up on law officials radar screen. if owners are aware of activity, they will make it harder to gain access.

once everyone knows about BASE, and that it has become relatively common, they will realize we are jumping THEIR antenna. how many are actually legal?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

OY VEY!!!:P!
NPS SUX ASS

quote:

"But you left me hanging out there like a big matzo ball . . . "
-------------------------------
Reply:

hey nick d.! i always thought you were ITALIAN?
------------------------------

----------------------------------------

OY-VEY!!!!:P
NPS SUX ASS

Excellent post, RiggerLee (although some of the language rivaled Faber's.. ;))

I think the real question should be about what we should be posting for people to see.

Well, here's this n00b's point of view: The posts I have gotten the most value from on this forum are the ones discussing malfunctions. The recent one on PC manufacturing defects, skin characteristics and line placement is a great recent one, but the big ones are the ones that take place after a fatality (e.g. I learned a lot about burbles from the discussion after #99 last year). So the videos that *I* would find most valuable are those of malfunctions. The more scary, the better -- right now I am in the position where all of you guys should be scaring the fuck out of me and trying to get rid of me.

So far it's not happening -- you all just seem really cool and I want to get to know you. So try harder -- show me all the ways that I can die, 'kay? Plus, that's probably the only way where I'm ever going to put my trust in any of you.
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

It is long ago but now it´s the time to say, that I´m the man who caused these big troubles on DW. And now it is the time to say that I´m so sorry for what happened. Say sorry to all Austrian locals that I did what I did. Nobody´s perfekt, everybody knows that. This was my first fucked up thing, that I´ve ever done. I still don´t know why I did it - make the jump from this place. I like to have the things under control, not like that time. What next, I did it, now I´m paying consenquences.To all once again, sorry for making this place hot. And to Rainer(skydivingmovies reply) and all of you here: know your feelings, cause if it had been somebody else I would have said the same as you wrote me. But I don´t think that I´m a cool man, I started basejumping because I wanted. To enjoy every second of my life, spending every second with friends, to feel the nature around me.not ´cause I want to make myself known, not to do basejumping for somebody who can say - you´re the gay, good work dude,super shot.. I do basejumping for myself, ´cause it´s my life. Please take these apologies, I´m so damn pissed what I did. Petan

Writing the location's name out in your post really isn't helping, regardless of how many people who know what it is (you'd be surprised at how many don't). It's good that you're OK, but c'mon... I've jumped the world over and never had any problem arranging a jump with locals with more than 24 hours notice (sometimes much less).