hardtorundown

Perrine Survival

Has anyone ever gone it at the perrine with aboslutely nothing out and lived? I heard a wild story involving new body armor that saved the guys life. I call BS but wanted to ask people who dont have their head full of un accounted for miracles what really happened.

thanks

My body armor is a parachute.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Last memorial day weekend a guy hit the water with barely a streamer over his head. I believe he was walking around like a week later. Full body armor, full luck bucket too. 1/1,000,000.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

My body armor is a parachute.

I presume this is meant tongue in cheek? Armor saves lives. It saddens me to see so many BASE jumpers still jumping in t-shirts with shitty skydiving helmets.

Body armor, a full-face helmet and a vented canopy ought to be considered an obvious thing for anybody jumping slider-down solid objects.

He had something out.

As far as I've been told by eye-witnesses and the jumper himself, he didn't really have anything out beyond his pilotchute. For all intents and purposes, he hit as hard as he would have without a parachute.

I believe he was walking around like a week later.

That's a bit of an overstatement. By all means his recovery was faster than anybody expected, but as far as I know it took several weeks before he got out of bed.

Eye witness report: He had a canopy dragging behind him. It was a high speed streamer, and the impact was tremendous. Not as loud a impact as the guy who went in with nothing, but very loud.

Survival with nothing out is possible, just like getting hit by an 18 wheeler at 85 mph is possible, but in 10000 tries, you would not make it.

Cya

I watched both from the landing area. The canopy dragging amounted to about half a cell inflating occasionally.

I recall both impacts being just as loud and hard, the crucial difference being that the half cell produced just enough drag to keep his body at a steep angle for feet first entry.

As far as I've been told by eye-witnesses and the jumper himself, he didn't really have anything out beyond his pilotchute. For all intents and purposes, he hit as hard as he would have without a parachute.

It appears that he rolled through the canopy as it deployed, so that the bridle attachment point was trapped somewhere near his body. The canopy looked more like a flag than a parachute. Time top to bottom was 6.0 seconds, only a little longer than freefall time.

I'm a big fan of body armour, and I think it certainly played a part in Jason's surviving the incident, but as Jamie said, this was one in a million. In my opinion there are plenty of other, more tangible, reasons to wear body armour.

By all means his recovery was faster than anybody expected, but as far as I know it took several weeks before he got out of bed.

I think Jason described it thus: The injuries he sustained were extremely life threatening, but it turns out that if you survive them, "recovery" is relatively fast. As with many major injuries, the initial recovery was astoundingly fast, but closing the last 10% takes a very long time. Jason will always have slightly limited mobility in his shoulders due to the spinal fusion, but it's not something you'd notice if you saw him.

I suppose I'd say his recovery was surprisingly quick, but you have to bear in mind that initially there was little doubt in anyone's mind that he was dead, so it wasn't too hard to surprise.

:P Michael

As with many major injuries, the initial recovery was astoundingly fast, but closing the last 10% takes a very long time.

soooo true....

Water and living ?
What about the guy who Cratered-In the Talus with a daisy chained streamer that one year when we were at Moab ? Was at least 350' jump. Went-In. In the dirt and lived and was walking on crutches 3 days latter. The Idiot looked like death warmed over when we all saw him.
Odds of that ever happening again are like a big fat, 0

That'd be Nate B. I remember seeing him when they loaded him onto the helicopter, and he looked like bloody death, only not warmed over. I couldn't believe my eyes when he was back at the hotel limping around 2 days later, with not a single broken bone.

I think he got really, really lucky in that he hit a fairly loose, sloping bit of scree, that slid away under him and dissipated some of the energy.

Comparing the two, I'd say that they had about the same amount of canopy out (meaning, almost none) when they impacted.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Street Divers. Nathan needed a rig to get on a last minute load, so Tim grabbed a rig out of the van and handed it to him. Since it was packed up all pretty, no one thought of doing a gear check. That rig had been sitting since Bridge Day when Roger used it, then daisy chained it and closed it with velcro, pilot chute and all. Roger was not available for comment, he was already dead. Fly free Roger.

A couple years before that Grimace jumped a daisy chain into the New River.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

eye witness and personal video review: I agree with tree, my2cents, luke and crwper.

The view of the impact and the reverberating sound that was made upon impact was one that made you almost sure he was gone.

Ever notice that there is a similarity on the sound the human body makes when it hits the Earth at a high rate of speed?

At any rate, be it luck, skill, whatever... I am happy he is alive, there was this indescribable happiness that overcame me when I learned 30min later that he was alive.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Ever notice that there is a similarity on the sound the human body makes when it hits the Earth at a high rate of speed?

If you've heard / seen one, a high speed fatal / near fatal water impact makes a sound that haunts you in nightmares.

The way I understand it. He was just laying there in a crumpled pile. Everyone just assumed he was Dead for at least 20 minutes he laid there. Nobody was in a big hurry to do anything he was 'Just Dead'. Then someone saw him twitch. Nobody ever thought anyone would survive such a fall. So no one bothered actually taking a pulse to make sure he was dead.

This is a vid of my friend DX with almost nothing out over hard land (sand). He was injured pretty bad but he lived.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

...Then someone saw him twitch. Nobody ever thought anyone would survive such a fall. So no one bothered actually taking a pulse to make sure he was dead.

Hi Ray. I know you are just recalling a story. But I'd like to clear some of it up. I have a very good recollection of what happenned that day. I was there from start to finish. And while there was a dozen+ people on top of the cliff that day, I'm fairy confident that only B.K. from Team Bodybag, myself, and maybe a few others saw that jump in it's entirety. Most everyone else looked over the edge after hearing our "Oh Shit" comments after the pilot-chute was pitched.

We did think the jumper as dead. But no one could get to him quickly. He was laying on a very steep talus slope. The nearest place to land was at least a 10 to 15 minute scramble away. Everyone was formulating a plan when the jumper twitched. As soon as we saw that, a doctor on the load jumped, landed in the closest safe landing area, and made it to the jumper as fast as he could. And the rest of us began mobilizing for a rescue.

I'd love to tell the whole story, but I'm not in a good position to do so right now due to lack of time.

C-ya!
Bryan

a doctor on the load jumped, landed in the closest safe landing area, and made it to the jumper as fast as he could.

if its the doc i think of he has made his duty there a few times..
Hats off and glad that a person actualy jump to get down there(dont get it wrong as i do understand thouse who wont jump)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

All I have to say is all these people survived with something out. A streamer canopy is 100x better than a no throw. So the story from everyones perspective is quite a bit different. Goes from nothing but a PC to a streamer to a streamer with one cell opening periodically, its all in the eye of the beholder right.

Till I see it with my own eyes Ill just pick somewhere in the middle and its probably pretty close to what actually happened.

Sure the guy who went it would probably like to say he is a super hero and went in with just a PC out but I doubt that is true. Either way it sounds like the guy survived a malfunctioning canopy and that was what I needed to know to win the arguement. And I get to use my favorite words; "I told you so jackass". :)

Ah, Nathan's daisy chained jump. I never get tired of telling this story.

It was February 2000 in Moab and anyone else would've gone home in a bodybag. He had *maybe* two inflated cells and was spiraling into the steep, soft talus. He barely missed a few boulders, but did manage to crack his helmet on one. I have some video of the daisy chained portion of the canopy (the tailpocket was still sealing the lines when we inspected it). Scary indeed. Lee Werling (RIP) was the first one to get to him. He was very bruised and had a head laceration, but he was walking around in Moab the next day. He posts here at dz.com every now and then.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I get to use my favorite words; "I told you so jackass". :)

Till I see it with my own eyes

only jackass i see is you start posting like this..

Its a fact that people has survived falling out from airplanes whith no parachute and survive..
Does that mean you should do it?
People has survived BASEjumping the same or a bit more does that mean you should do it?

Sure the guy who went it would probably like to say he is a super hero and went in with just a PC out

No one said they were heros,but i said you were a jackass..
Go figure your self..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Faber you have been around long enough to know there is always more truth to a story by the time it gets to the 8th person.

Show me proof that someone has fallen from a commercial jet liner and lived. If you really believe it I think your calling the kettle black.

Many stories like these are told at DZ's and I felt they were always a joke for the gullible idiots who question nothing. Could you be one of those individuals? I have some land in hawaii if your interested. Cheap too.

There was some speculation that the body armor may have contributed to the incident.

1) Body Armor. The jumper was wearing a Dianese Safety Jacket, which I think greatly reduced his injuries from the impact, in particular protecting his spine from major trauma. The armor was also the likely snag point on his elbow (it was his outermost layer), so it may have been a mixed blessing (the bridle entanglement would probably have created a very serious incident even without the elbow snag, though).

Take care,
space

there is always more truth to a story by the time it gets to the 8th person.

and your the 8th person who put words into people mouths?
I still dont recon any injuryed calling themself heros or look at them self as so..

Show me proof that someone has fallen from a commercial jet liner and lived

as i recon i didnt said neither commercial or jet anywere were did you get that from?
Again are you that 8th person?

Try read your history. Im not saying that this happens all the time or that people has walked away from were they landed..

they were always a joke for the gullible idiots who question nothing. Could you be one of those individuals?

If i am im happy to say that im not aware of it:)

I have some land in hawaii if your interested. Cheap too.

sure is but not from your hand no matter the price,just keep it;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber