Miles D in the Astrodome

very nice! :)
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Nice Job Miles!
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

If you look in their profile, there is a practice jump of it in there.

DBR
"... and I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it...."

Damn... wouldn't believe how hard I've tried to get off that b. Even bought a big fish for it in hopes that one day... ;)
Nice one MD.

I can't understand why BASE isn't used more for these types of events... I was recently at a monster truck show looking at the open roof thinking that would sure be a SWEET jump.

BASE 175 and BASE 58 also did this from the real Astrodome for the Thrillfest circa 1989. Carl Boenish and Phil Smith did this too for a baseball game circa 1981.

It would be a little more considerate if someone would at least contact the locals whenever events like this occur. :|
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

It's been done a few times with no incidents so why isn't it done more often.

BTW, has there been a incident where the person died practicing for such a jump?

shoulda went stowed. :)

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Not quite the same but there was a serious injury in a demonstration jump from the space needle in Seattle in about 1997. This was a demo jump with 4 jumpers if I remember correctly, I beleive it was organized by Steve Mullholland (RIP). And I beleive that is was a woman who injured here leg and [put an end to the jumps, but I forget the details.

Then there was the bungee jump practice in the superdome where the jumper impacted the gound and died during practice. I only mention that becuase it put the kaibash on the base jumps that were scheduled for that year (maybe 2001?)

wdc
"If you are not a part of the Solution, you are a part of the Precipitate"

The jumpers on the Space Needle jump were Eric Simpson, Andy Calistrat, Steve Mulholland, and Nancy Kleutmeir. Nancy broke some vertebrea when one of her toggles malfunctioned and the line-mod system failed to work. This accident set back the base demo community for several years.

Jessica Kluetmeier. She never answerred my emails.

It was November of 96. And from what I heard it was Andy Callistrat that was setting it up, and he invited Steve Mullholand because he was a Seattle local.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

If I remember correctly, she didn't have a line release mod.
take care
space

I believe Calistrat was a proponent of the no slider, yet steering line through the guiderings idea. Not real bright in this day and age, or anyother. But that was the toggle release problem, it wasn't an option. Crazy video eh?
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

She did have a line mod but the line mod system recently altered by Dennis McG failed.

She did have a line mod but the line mod system recently altered by Dennis McG failed.

Do you know what the alteration was and how it malfunctioned?

Just curious.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

This one got a little off topic.

Cool jump, but not really the astrodome. Astrodome jumps (from the now nonexistent gondola area) were about 170 feet (I think). Also, Carl and Smitty jumped static lined rounds (piglet canopies) for a very dramatic and long lasting deployment sequence. Smitty did a couple of shows there, the baseball game was covered by "Ripley's Believe It or Not" and he carried in the opening pitch ball...

194 feet.

I got asked to do it for a Thrillfest several years ago with help from Pace Entertainment. The jump event got cancelled after from what I recall was a bungee jumping accident during practive for a sanctioned stadium event.

The Carl and Phil stuff for the game was pretty cool!

Cool on the correction (194'), lotta my brain cells have gone by the wayside. That extra 24' was handy on one practice jump...

Nicely done Miles D!!

Thanks for everything! Here's a tribute to your BASE camp.

Cya..... OOOOOooOOAAAHHHH!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRjHqEjcmOA
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." - Goethe

Damn... wouldn't believe how hard I've tried to get off that b. Even bought a big fish for it in hopes that one day... ;)
Nice one MD.

Agree. Nice one Miles! B|

Hey Brit - we still got the 150 to focus on - it's ooookaayyyyy haha! get back before the rodeo ends!..and bring your fish :P

Nicely done Miles D!!

Thanks for everything! Here's a tribute to your BASE camp.

Cya..... OOOOOooOOAAAHHHH!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRjHqEjcmOA

I thought this was another of Miles 'look at me videos'... I was mistaken it's some other YouTube superstar[:/]

Try not to kill yourself.

Waaaaaaahhhhoooooooooo

I thought this was another of Miles 'look at me videos'... I was mistaken it's some other YouTube superstar

Nope, just sharing the fun and excitement of something new in my life.

Ha ha, you're funny....
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." - Goethe

Ha ha, you're funny....

sadly, that is no joke...:(
see the list.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse