Gabo

New Stunt Junkies Episode THIS MONDAY Starring Go Fast Athlete Luigi Cani

Episode 22: WING SUIT BASE JUMP
In this never-before-attempted stunt, Luigi Cani will BASE jump off a cliff with a speed bike; however, instead of going down with the bike, with the help of a specially designed wing suit, he will fly up and away from the bike. Luigi is the only athlete known to date that has worked with the specially designed wing suit, which enables him to fly up and away from an object rather than down. Another twist? Luigi has never BASE jumped before! So, he'll need to start with a basic BASE jump course to prepare for the stunt. From there he will do several high-speed skydives wearing the special wing suit in order to train his body for flight position with great horizontal projection. Then, he will do test rides with the motorcycle wearing the special suit and the BASE harness to make sure that he will not be lifted up and off the motorcycle while riding at high speeds.
Premiere: Feb. 19, 2007

*** Luigi has never BASE jumped before!

Actually, Luigi was out here a couple months ago with Jimmy P. making his first few flicks. (maybe this was part of the planning for this stunt) Seemed to like it plenty and will surely do well with this stunt. He is a great at all types of flying.

I wonder which clilff he is jumping?

Cya

oh man.... get the popcorn ready... this should be entertaining (not dissing LC at all)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I agree, entertainment is in the offing..
Luigi, tho not as tall as some, is definitely HOT!
Bound to be a great stunt...but won't top JP in my book...
that reverse bungi/BASE stunt at the RG was way cool, and there's no cooler couple than ME/JP...
Peace and love,
K

Luigi is the only athlete known to date that has worked with the specially designed wing suit, which enables him to fly up and away from an object rather than down.

Wasnt their former host (jeb) kinda into wingsuits as well...?
Maybe there's two athletes on this planet flying wingsuits!?:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Luigi is the only athlete known to date that has worked with the specially designed wing suit, which enables him to fly up and away from an object rather than down.

Wasnt their former host (jeb) kinda into wingsuits as well...?
Maybe there's two athletes on this planet flying wingsuits!?:P

but Luigi's suit is special, he can fly up with it :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Fly Up ?
as in, 'the cameraman falls away' ?

from the original text :

Luigi is the only athlete known to date that has worked with the specially designed wing suit, which enables him to fly up and away from an object rather than down

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Fly Up ?

Maybe as in creating lift, so he can land it, without the chute..?
A skydiver's famous last words:
- Hey! Hold my beer, and watch this...!
- If that guy can do it, so can I...!
- In 9 out of 10 this will work out just fine. Don't worry about it...!

Fly Up ?

Maybe as in creating lift, so he can land it, without the chute..?

as in discovery channel was going to pay for jeb to try his wingsuit landing thing... but he went awol, and they didn't want to waste the money they spent on developing the suit?

Luigi has been flying wingsuits for some time (at least since 2001), but not with any regularity. I lent him my S3 (and Sabre2!) wingsuit rig in 2003 when he wanted to try a bigger suit. He and J.C. flew together.

On that note, J.C. Colclasure is a fantastic wingsuit pilot. He's tall and strong and just kills it.

Without taking ten seconds to contemplate what the headline was, I can tell you that if Luigi is riding a bike off a cliff, then he must be jumping a small suit. One with a legwing small enough to permit him to straddle the backbone of the bike. Either that or, perhaps, he is going to ride a "girl" bike off which will less-hamper his wingsuit.

Who knows.

Chuck

The details of the stunt along with pictures can be seen HERE
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

why does the rider/pilot have to ride the bike straddled? im no biker, and i have ridden sport bikes side saddle, or he could lay on the bike, its not like he needs to shift that fast. he could accelerat in exit gear from very low speeds.

I'm watching it right now and some toughts come to mind:

1) Was that a base rig he took out of the heli? (update: looks like it was.. isn't that a no-no?)

2) How in the world did you get approval to jump into the grand canyon?

3) Once you cut the leg out of the wingsuit, what's the point? It is almost like putting a wingsuit in a wind tunnel.. what's the point?

It'd be awesome if they ran a wire from the shift lever to a switch on the left hand that he could shift with his thumb. You don't need the rear brake to drive off a cliff right? Than he could just lay down on the seat and do all the driving with his hands.

What about the wings for his arms though? I haven't had a chance to look at that site yet.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

well the stunt was cool, i'd love to have done it.. i don't think the wingsuit added much other than the oh neat and advertising aspects of it considering the leg wing didn't exist.
i think he could have some how layed down on the bike with the leg wing still attached. that would have been cooler. Start the bike off with some type of training wheel setup or even have people holding the bike to get it started and having handlebar shifter.. he could have had a full wingsuit on. THAT would have been slick.

hey do you know what camera suit that was? i need one like that to film tandems.
enjoy.
---------------------------------
canyon bar

2)... it was on an indian reservation...

Added

Cani enjoyed a 10 second freefall before deploying his BASE parachute at the moment the bike impacted on a large rock shelf 500 feet below. He then flew his parachute safely to the canyon bottom.

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

2)... it was on an indian reservation...

Added

Cani enjoyed a 10 second freefall before deploying his BASE parachute at the moment the bike impacted on a large rock shelf 500 feet below. He then flew his parachute safely to the canyon bottom.

So does the base rig from a helicopter not a no no over indian land too?

Well, I would think its a (cough cough) no no, but I am not sure of how FAA rules apply over Indian Nations. I would hope they would not, if so that jump might have been hunky dory.

Anyone of the soverign Indian Nation care to anwer this?
Leroy

The show is lame ...

Fixed it for ya.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

It looks like they covered the tail numbers of the heli, if you cant tell who was flyin or what heli was used then it really never happened.

thats always a nice way of keepin the faa off you ass.