Gabo

New Stunt Junkies Episode THIS MONDAY Starring Go Fast Athlete Luigi Cani

i think he could have some how layed down on the bike with the leg wing still attached.

I was thinking he should have worn a full suit and knelt on the seat of the bike. That way he could push up and off the seat before he reached the end of the ramp and tried to gain a little altitude from the relative wind; like a high speed tailgate exit. If you do that a couple of times I'm sure you could get good enough and fast enough to get some significant flight above the ramp before the edge of the cliff.

Isn't that something we've always wanted to do? Fly a wingsuit off a bike or out of a pickup truck? I'm sure those were the first drunken thoughts that led to this stunt.

But with no leg wing a tracking suit would have been just as good.

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

The show is lame ...

Fixed it for ya.

As corny as the show is and how some of the stunts aren't technically that difficult, you have to admit it does give some good publicity to the sport.

I just hope they realize they need to make sure to do everything "right" (legal) as anything on TV is going to be scrutinized

The show is lame ...

Other than being lame, the show also sucks.

(ps stratostar, did you know Byron Black?)
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

>>but I am not sure of how FAA rules apply over Indian Nations. I would hope they would not<<

We used to jump over, and land on, a reservation in Ramona, California. In addition to regular skydiving and training FJC students we also tested, from airplanes, early Velcro BASE rigs for their fitness at terminal. This became an issue as BASE jumpers were starting to go higher and faster. And it was years before the first pin-closed BASE rig appeared.

As to the question, the FAA has jurisdiction over the airspace above a reservation, just like everywhere else, but no right to come onto the reservation to enforce that jurisdiction. So in essence they would somehow need to nab you air-handed or someone would have to rat you out. Also, this was during the pre-Indian gaming days, and the tribe we dealt with, had no qualms about telling anyone from the U.S. government to go straight to hell . . .

There was also a popular ultralight strip there that operated unimpeded.

We were both a source of welcome revenue for the tribe but, of course, right where we landed our parachutes is now a sea of slot machines . . .

On the Velcro for terminal, we probably didn't do enough jumps to be definitive, but we did come to the conclusion that if you didn't feel comfortable doing back and front loops at terminal with Velcro then, in general, they weren't suitable for terminal BASE jumps. The advice at the time was, if you do use Velcro at terminal (and we all did) do it very carefully or use a pin closed skydiving rig . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I was thinking he should have worn a full suit and knelt on the seat of the bike. That way he could push up and off the seat before he reached the end of the ramp and tried to gain a little altitude from the relative wind; like a high speed tailgate exit.

He would have to be doing at least 250 km an hour to be able to gain some altitude..

In terms of sitting/kneeling down and having the tailwing still on, a quad would probably have been easyer.

But at that speed, jumping up a few degrees off (aot), could also easely result in a rapid deceleration (with the wingsuit acting as a giant airbrake)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

He would have to be doing at least 250 km an hour to be able to gain some altitude..

In terms of sitting/kneeling down and having the tailwing still on, a quad would probably have been easyer.

But at that speed, jumping up a few degrees off (aot), could also easely result in a rapid deceleration (with the wingsuit acting as a giant airbrake)

That's where practice would come into play, to work up to higher speeds and finding the right angle of attack.

They'd go through a lot of sport bikes.

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

...you have to admit it does give some good publicity to the sport.

Isn't there a divided opinion out there as to whether that's a good thing?

IMHO, BASE should have only been publicized well enough for me to discover it. And now that I have, it should be a secret again. ;)
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

Fly Up ?
as in, 'the cameraman falls away' ?

Maybe as in creating lift, so he can land it, without the chute..?

as in discovery channel was going to pay for jeb to try his wingsuit landing thing... but he went awol, and they didn't want to waste the money they spent on developing the suit?

In case you're serious, I think that stunt was sponsored by Go Fast
http://www.gofastsports.com/zone/wingsuit.html

If you search Jeb's posts you can probably find more info about it.

I was just about to put that video link up also. I found it on basejumper.org a few days ago.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

Fly Up ?

Maybe as in creating lift, so he can land it, without the chute..?

as in discovery channel was going to pay for jeb to try his wingsuit landing thing... but he went awol, and they didn't want to waste the money they spent on developing the suit?

In case you're serious, I think that stunt was sponsored by Go Fast
http://www.gofastsports.com/zone/wingsuit.html

If you search Jeb's posts you can probably find more info about it.

You can have multiple sponsors for something, and many events do...

(ps stratostar, did you know Byron Black?)

Yep and Tess, and all the boys too quite well.:(
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Cool.
They lived down the street from me in Lanikai.
I did my fjc out of their Beech 18.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Legal??

Moveis / TV Shows / Stunts / Insurance....

That fixed it. Now you can do almot anything you want, LEGALLY.

That is if you don't mind doing all the paperwork.

Regarding the stunt . . . . .

We tow parachutes behind vehicles of various sorts and fly them.

When is someone going to tow a wingsuit behind something and fly it??????;)

I see possibilities here.

Go forth youthful ones, the first one to bring back a living video gets the prize.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

When is someone going to tow a wingsuit behind something and fly it??????

There should be a partialy wrecked B24 (if I remember correctly) bomber out there somewhere, as a leftover from one such experiment by a Felix B.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Fly Up ?

I heard that last year at the WFFC wingsuit pilots jumping out of the DC-9 were able to gain alttitude and fly above the tail after exiting.

Does anyone know how fast the DC-9 jump runs were?
Life is like a box of chocolates.

>>When is someone going to tow a wingsuit behind something and fly it??????<<

Lockout. ;)

But, I suppose it would be Junk Stunky fodder (take old stunts, dress 'em up, and pretend they are new.)

Rob Harris, or someone, did it already back in the mid-90s. I remember some artful flying while he was in tow, and while I can't recall if he was wearing a wing suit isn't it more impressive without one . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

As corny as the show is and how some of the stunts aren't technically that difficult, you have to admit it does give some good publicity to the sport.

What good does it do? The hosts are making it appear as a stunt (not a normal activity) and constantly stating how dangerous it is.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Fly Up ?

I heard that last year at the WFFC wingsuit pilots jumping out of the DC-9 were able to gain alttitude and fly above the tail after exiting.

Does anyone know how fast the DC-9 jump runs were?

There is info in the wingsuit forum on this, but it was about 150-160kts. Depending on if you stuck it outside the door you can get at or near the tail edge. I dont think anyone flew over above it. WS routinely get above CASAs and skyvans on highspeed exits.

although the stunt was flawed in some of the explainations and such, it was meant for the masses, who know nothing. love how the 'classic II' was "experiemental". :D

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

There is info in the wingsuit forum on this, but it was about 150-160kts. Depending on if you stuck it outside the door you can get at or near the tail edge.

People have gotten as high as 20 to 30 meters above the plane, as long as the speed is high enough (and the flyers have mad skills)

Check this video from the 2004 hercules boogie (short version - long version)

In the long version (about halfway) there are some great exits by Andy Ford and Vesa 'climbing' on the airstream..160 kts (182 mph/293 km/h) is the speed the Hercules was doing there.

Rob Harris, or someone, did it already back in the mid-90s. I remember some artful flying while he was in tow, and while I can't recall if he was wearing a wing suit isn't it more impressive without one . . .

I think it was Joe Jennigs who was towed behind a C182 in a camerasuit at some point.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

WS routinely get above CASAs and skyvans on highspeed exits

The high speed exits I've done, and I've done quite a few, the Casa or Skyvan was taken to 16k and then put into shallow dive to gain the necessary airspeed prior to the jumpers exiting. The WS weren't actually gaining altitude, they just weren't falling as fast as the plane.

The first high speed pass at the WFFC, two years ago, there were like 9 ws and I was the first non-ws jumper out. They were trying to exit together and tripped over each other and went rolling out the door. There were two premies, one blown up canopy that resulted in a reserve ride, two or three blown ws's a few stiches. I don't think there was another ws on any other high speed passes that year.

BTW, I was wearing a camera and it was a real mess. People were yelling GO! and I was standing in the door pointing and yelling F@#K!!!

WS routinely get above CASAs and skyvans on highspeed exits

The first high speed pass at the WFFC, two years ago, there were like 9 ws and I was the first non-ws jumper out. They were trying to exit together and tripped over each other and went rolling out the door. There were two premies, one blown up canopy that resulted in a reserve ride, two or three blown ws's a few stiches. I don't think there was another ws on any other high speed passes that year.

BTW, I was wearing a camera and it was a real mess. People were yelling GO! and I was standing in the door pointing and yelling F@#K!!!

ha, yeah that was good ole fun.:D Was that you who came over and offered the vid to us afterwards? This is the vid -.
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=fxh0n

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?