TVPB

#108 - ?????????

RIP & Condolences.

- - - - - - - - -

#108 Sean R, BASE 621, February 10, 2007
Building Jump (Dam)
Spain
Object Strike
Sean was a long time and well known British BASE jumper and not much is know at this point except early reports are saying Sean hit the dam at some point during the jump. While dams have been popular BASE objects for a long time Sean has become the first BASE jumping fatality to occur from one.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Actually I just had to move Sean up to #109.

Unfortunately, another BASE fatality has just to come light and it occurred in early January. The inserted fatality is now # 107 . . .

NickD
BASE 194

#107 René Duriaux, January 4, 2007 (Approximate date)
Cliff Jump
Benevise, France
Details here are few, but it's being reported René was found in his car deceased at a remote cliff site by French Police. One of his legs were severely injured and his cause of death, it was determined, was heart failure. At the time he was found no gear was in evidence and it wasn't known if René was injured on his approach to the launch point or during a jump. Since the time of the discovery of his body his gear has been found at the bottom of the cliff. It appears now René was somehow injured during the jump but had managed to get back to his car where he died.

another tragic loss, and obviously no one cares..... :(
i did not know René personally.
i did not know Sean personally.
i understand Sean was a long time, well known jumper. i understand this affects more jumpers on a personal level.
but not one single reaction about this horrible accident?

normally i don't post in threads like this one, mostly because i have troubles to articulate appropriate in this foreign language.
sorry for the rant....

we lost two brothers.
i feel sad.

fly free René :(
fly free Sean :(

BSBD

be careful out there!

Moritz

Moritz....this is truly a tragic story
I only read about it today
It struck me as one of the most horrific and sad stories on the list.....he actually made it back to his car but by the sounds of it bled to death

Horrible that guy was on his own at this time but actually 'fought' to get back to where he thought he was safe/could escape..
I think that showed a great survival instinct and is worthy of alot of respect

Its such a sad thing to read...sincere condolances to his family and friends

Hey Moritz

Rene's death is a very tragic story but please do not confuse the issues and assume no one cares. People posting in response to Sean's death have for the most part had personal interaction with him. They knew him or had met him and because of this his death means more to them.

Not only did i not know Rene, but until yesterday i did not even know of his passing. Furthermore, not a single person connected to Rene has come forward since his death and provided a personal picture or background information which might help others to understand the person behind what is currently a name and a statistic.

Rene and Sean are both dead. What we write in these forums is not written to console them because they are gone and will never read it, but instead is for the comfort of those left behind who are grieving. I can only assume that those who knew him and those who wish to comfort those who knew him are doing so privately or in a French forum because were they here they would surely have mentioned his very tragic death and had they done so, i know many here would have offered heartfelt condolences.

Rene's passing has not been overlooked, it has just been mourned elsewhere, make no mistake about that.

Furthermore, not a single person connected to Rene has come forward since his death and provided a personal picture or background information which might help others to understand the person behind what is currently a name and a statistic.

That's pretty messed up. I think you should have thought about this a little more before you posted it. Does that mean that Sean is just a name and a statistic to me? No! I highty doubt any of the WA locals have a picture of me, or know anymore about my background than I have told them. A persons life contains much more than they can probably ever share with someone other than a lifelong friend or lifemate.

and Zoter, it says he had a serious leg injury and his heart stopped, so it was probably a femur injury. I've heard that the bone marrow from your femur can cause heart failure.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

I'm sure Nick will provide more information about Rene' as it becomes available. He always does.

The eerie thing about this is nobody seems to know who he is know who he is. No ground crew, no phone crew and nobody else on the load. No disrespect intended, but it sounds like another guy that acquired gear and decided to jump with no formal training.

Condolences to family and those who knew him. :(
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

That's pretty messed up. I think you should have thought about this a little more before you posted it.

That's not messed up, he simply stated what was fact at his time of posting.
"Fuck that. I'll take a good ass-pounding over a bj any day." -- pyrotech

it sounds like another guy that acquired gear and decided to jump with no formal training.

It may sound like, but it was NOT.
Please don't assume things when you don't know.
Thank you.
Nico

No disrespect intended, but it sounds like another guy that acquired gear and decided to jump with no formal training.

That's a bit of stretch!! You are jumping to some huge conclusions there, buddy. There is no way you can infer that from the facts that are out, you can't even infer that that there was no phone GC (what if they didn't answer phone when he called?).

I would be very careful about making assumptions if I were you - and even more careful about posting them.

And please don't take offense to this post - I don't mean to be anything other than surprised at how you came to that conclusion.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

My apologies and condolences as you seem to know him.

All we've had to go on is what Nick was able to provide. When someone from the French BASE community can provide more insight, I'm sure it will be appreciated.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Check #53 on the list, then read #107.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Heya Moritz
I think the reasson no one posted about Rene is that no one knew.
Sadly(i think) a few countryes dont mix alot,France is one of them(i dunno how many french posting here,but would think they might would have posted),they often keep it to their selfs at the frensh forum.Atleast until they have details to post,this is both good and bad.

I hope you take thouse words back,as theyre not fair..

As posted many knew Sean,he posted here regulary,thats why people think of Sean.

I hope Details about Rene gets out,if you see the approximate date its more than 1 month ago..

As you say when any dies its tragic loss,so please dont make it a fight or piss contest,i know for sure that at least one of the deads didnt wanted it that way..

I never knew Rene i never herad about Rene.Rene´s death shows us that not all jumpers posts on big online boards,they just simply do what they like to do.
Fly free brother

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

You have to take into consideration the fact that most of the french jumper don't go all over the internet with this. We all knew about our friend, we mourned him, a memorial jump will be organized somtime during the spring.

More details are known, but throwing them all around DZ.com to people to fight about it just doesn't seem right to us.

If you want to learn from him, don't jump alone were you can't make a call. the rest of the story has happened thousands of times.

Some people here should bitch a little less, assume less things, and jump a little more.

Fabien
BASE#944

i know myself that's not true.....

As you say when any dies its tragic loss,so please dont make it a fight or piss contest

it was not my intention to offend any one or start something like this.

i have a lot of respect for the french community and i understand why they don't talk much to the rest of the world.

from what we know here, i see one lesson:
jumping alone is dangerous.
a survivable injury can kill you in such a situation.

You have to take into consideration the fact that most of the french jumper don't go all over the internet with this.

which is pretty much what i wrote;)

My condolance to the french crew.

Moritz,i know you didnt wanted to offend anyone,im sorry i went into you the way i did.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Goldsmith. Once again you reveal yourself to be a buffoon of the highest order. You come on here and talk in platitudes and cliches and trot out the shit the you think the bulk of dz.com'ers want to hear in the hope of bolstering some kind of online reputation as a solid caring stand up guy.

As harsh as it sounds my emotionally challenged little chum, Rene IS just a name and a statistic to those who did not know him. He was perhaps a father to his kids, a husband to his wife, a son to his mother, the best bloke in the world to his friends, but as no one has posted any information regarding him, to me and the thousands who read the list, he is just a name and a statistic. I can sympathise cos i've lost close friends, Sean being the latest, I can imagine and project but at the end of the day I have little to attach to the name other than he was a basejumper and the manner of his death.

When you finally mature you will realise how far off the mark you are and how knee-jerk your response was.

My comment was not a slur in any way, shape or form. It was actually a request for more information from those able to provide it so we can as BASE jumpers begin to understand the human element behind this pitiful collection of consonents and vowels.

You asked if that meant by my reckoning Sean is just a name and statistic to you. Well, you tell me. Tell me what Sean meant to you beyond the fact he was a fellow basejumper.

You're unbelievable.

As i said in my previous post, Rene's death has not been overlooked, it has been dealt with privately as has been confirmed by fab777.

Fabien, I am very sorry for your loss.

Also like your sentiment:
some should bitch less.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

nice post. I wish it was not necessary...:(

hopefully the French crew find peace.

to the rest:
I view the silence surrounding this accident as a compliment to the French crew. keep BASE personal, not public!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

You have to take into consideration the fact that most of the french jumper don't go all over the internet with this. We all knew about our friend, we mourned him, a memorial jump will be organized somtime during the spring.

More details are known, but throwing them all around DZ.com to people to fight about it just doesn't seem right to us.

If you want to learn from him, don't jump alone were you can't make a call. the rest of the story has happened thousands of times.

Some people here should bitch a little less, assume less things, and jump a little more.

thanks 4 posting. i'm glad to hear theres somebody out there to recognize the death of RENE`.

that mental image of dying alone pretty much horrified me. considering alot of my jumps are very similiar , solo's in an areas with no communications and noboby in my family or friends knowing where i'm at or what i'm doing either. maybe i need 2 quit that!

Again very sorry for the loss of RENE`. And lots of respect to the French BASE community for not feeling the need to be so public and keeping their BASE private. I completely understand. Maybe we can learn from you and not shoot are mouths off so much. And think before we speak. I myself included of course.

peace
NPS SUX ASS

Maybe we can learn from you and not shoot are mouths off so much.

No great idea,im happy and proud that i can honnor my freinds here..

Im not a rich kid,i cant just travel arround.Telling my storry here deafently helps me,ill keep doing so.. And hope people arround will post incase i die aswell

Respect to the french that they keep it private,its their choice..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Maybe we can learn from you and not shoot are mouths off so much.

No great idea,im happy and proud that i can honnor my freinds here..

Im not a rich kid,i cant just travel arround.Telling my storry here deafently helps me,ill keep doing so.. And hope people arround will post incase i die aswell

Respect to the french that they keep it private,its their choice..

please re-read faber. i think you misunderstood what i wrote. PM sent.
NPS SUX ASS

another tragic loss, and obviously no one cares.....
i did not know René personally.

Hi Moritz.

René was one of my best friends and I was contacted by the French gendarms for giving them information and helping their search and rescue operation.

René was 59 years old and appreciated by a lot of people. He had very nice funerals where we drank a lot (he would have not liked that we cry). We will jump a last time with him in late june where we will throw his ashes from his favorite cliff named Benevise.

I will never forget him, never. And I will not be alone...

i know myself that's not true.....

As you say when any dies its tragic loss,so please dont make it a fight or piss contest

it was not my intention to offend any one or start something like this.

i have a lot of respect for the french community and i understand why they don't talk much to the rest of the world.

from what we know here, i see one lesson:
jumping alone is dangerous.
a survivable injury can kill you in such a situation.

Moritz my tall friend, i agree with you totally with that "jumpin by yourself thing" for example see the list "GABI".

see you soon this summer i hope