NickDG

Warning - The Entire U.S. is Hot . . .

This will be the last post I make publicly about this subject.

The day was selected because of the perfect wind conditions. The jump could only be done in a safe manner with wind between 5 to 10 mph coming from the north. I was slated to jump the building the week before but the winds were 13 mph out of the south making the jump unsafe so we pushed the jump to a later time when winds were favorable for the jump.

The next week we got a perfect steady wind blowing from the north at 8 mph. Perfect wind for a tiptoe landing.

I chose rush hour on purpose. I had watched the traffic patterns for days at all different times. Rush hour was the best time because it creates grid lock. When the cars finally start moving again they move very slow.

The lights on 5th ave turn red all at the exact same time affectively shutting the whole road down for 45 seconds. That time is extended during rush hour. The time it would have taken me to jump, track over the roof of the building across the street, open and then land would have been under 30 seconds. Giving me plenty of time to get to a side walk.

There are also outs everywhere. There were roofs with huge open spaces to land on all over the place.

Park ave is a 5 lane road and the space between cars is huge. I have landed in worse traffic on much smaller roads. I have also landing in an area the size of 4 king sized mattresses in the middle of 300,000 people.

I have zero doubt that I would have landed safely and could have given you a high five as i was doing it.

Think of what it's like to land with an 8 mph head wind? How hard is that landing on a 265?

Also I didn't have to prove in court that I wasn't going to hurt anyone. All I had to prove was that i didn't have a depraved indifference to human life. The fact is I had done nothing wrong but the prosecution wanted to still punish me. So they charged me with something they knew they couldn't make stick. To cost me money.

That is pretty much all it came down to. They wanted to punish me by making me hire lawyers and making me defend my self against a totally bogus charge. They could have charged me with murder and they would have just about as good a chance of getting me on it.

But don't worry, to all those who think I was unpunished or deserve to be punished worse, this will make you feel better. A failed attempt at the empire state building has cost me close to half a million dollars.

I had to spend all my lives savings to defend my self against a total bullshit charge and now they are trying to sue me for 12 million dollars which actually kind of makes me happy :) You see the empire will have to spend allot of money to find out I am broke :) They will not even be able to cover there lawyers fees with what they can get from me :) So there will be a little justice there...

Jeb

P.S. just so you know, what you have seen on video is only a very small portion of my jumps. The major majority of my base jumps have not been filmed. Trust me when I say I know the risks of what I do. I don't need a lesson from you...

Holy Fuck Jeb, who would have thought so many of these guys were on there periods?????????

WI-Fly: You are like that annoying crane fly, a.k.a "mosquito eaters", attempting to fly but more or less just bumbling along my apartment walls with no real motive other than to annoy.

dude... you forgot to remind us that he is the best BASE jumper, in your expert opinion, that is.:P

WI-Fly: You are like that annoying crane fly, a.k.a "mosquito eaters", attempting to fly but more or less just bumbling along my apartment walls with no real motive other than to annoy.

If only the really ate mosquitos, they'd have a purpose. There are a bunch of annoying crane flies in my home right now.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Sorry.

I can't believe that was a personal attack,

Let's face facts, this guy since he registered at DZ.com consitantly posts some stupid shit in the Base Zone.

-> like, oh say a thread looking for BASE 3919 and 1784....

-> Oh and totaly, worshiping any jumper he's seen on You-tube cause he doesn't know dick about the history of BASE jumping?

How about stupid posts like this;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2762016#2762016
Which is in this thread no less!

Enlighten us with more of your wisdom WI-Fly... like the following.

Jeb is the man, along with Chris, those two are the best out there. I was hoping he could land a wingsuit within a few years. They should be on Stunt Junkies and shows like that more...those guys should both do EL Cap..

Nic, on the money.... and the simile was good, polite, but good.

Maybe it is cause I have made my last few jumps with Magot, but I give up.

WI-Fly you are a fucking idiot. Shut the Fuck up.

Now, that's a personal attack.

_justin

Yeah Justin..... I love you more every day! I got your back, Ban me with him Tom 'cause I agree.

Hey Jeb, I understrand your reasoning as I've timed NYC lights at night and those Fukcing cabs haul balls on the green. There is no safe time when the streets are empty. But dammit brother, take that crap to chicago or something cause NYC is a heaven that should be respected.

PS: that base ordinance best not pass or it's commin' out of your ass

Fair enough. It still seems to me that the jump would have posed less risk to others if it has been done well after rush hour, but your point about the movement of traffic (or lack of movement) at rush hour also makes sense.

As for your current predicament with the civil suit, it you really don't have anything left for them to take and are effectively judgment proof at this point, you might check with your lawyer about the possibility of just completely not defending the suit and taking a default judgment and then taking a personal bankruptcy to have the judgment discharged. I know that used to be possible, but when they revamped the bankruptcy code a year or so ago, they may have eliminated that possibility. If not, it would be something to think about because you wouldn't have the huge legal bills you will rack up if you defend the suit.

Thanks for responding. I don't necessarily agree with all of your views on this matter, but I do appreciate you discussing it. Good luck to you.

derrr.. thats the point. We fuckin got it the 1st time, you don't have to keep reminding us that you've seen a couple videos and have come to the conclusion, with no practical experience, who you think are the best base jumpers out there. Many of us are friends with and have jumped with your man crushes.They are talented jumpers,I don't argue that, what i'm saying is you come off like a complete poser..Like basehoundsam said "get a life" go actually make some jumps.

All,

Please try to keep this thread on topic. I've purged a bunch of random off topic comments, and some pointless personal attacks, out of it.

WI-Fly,

I'd seriously recommend reconsidering the way you are posting to this forum. If you really want to get into BASE, you should start considering how you're going to relate to other jumpers (the people you're going to need to approach for help). Your postings here have not exactly shown that you've done any significant research, or put any thought into this.

I've left several posts in this thread that contain personal attacks. I've done that on purpose. I encourage you to read them and consider why people are saying these things, and also to realize that 99% of the BASE jumpers reading this forum are thinking the same things (but are too well mannered, or at least respectful of the forum rules, to say them here).

If you do want to post things that are substantively similar to most of your comments here, I recommend doing so in the comments section of Youtube, where they are probably appropriate.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

That's cool. I was saying to a couple other guys though that it is does not make sense to call me a poser because like any pro sport that any person likes, most people do not partake in them. Millions watch the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and NASCAR to name a few. Like most, we like to boast our favorite and slam the teams or players we do not like....with all the other sports, people just take it with a grain of salt but something here makes people so pissed off, I can't even understand it....like me, I love NASCAR too but am I a poser for watching it, having a favortie team of drivers and bragging about there stats, yet I have never raced? No, I am not, I am a fan of that sport, just like BASE. I got many old videos and new DVD's and read a lot of magizine articles way before youtube....I have been interested in it for 4 to 5 years but I am and the last 4 1/2 years have been in the Navy and before that I was too young so that is my reason, not excuse for not having done it. So if I pissed anyone off, let it go, it's just words on a webpage..........One last thing, this is not an insult to BASE but it seems it would be much easier to get into and become a pro BASE jumper then a pro racer or footballer or any of those sports....like I said, not an insult but the truth...

To most of us, BASE is not a spectator sport. So, to us, the idea of being a BASE "fan" just seems absurd.

This forum isn't intended as a "fan" site. It's a discussion forum intended for people who either participate or wish to participate in the sport itself. The idea is to discuss, educate, and generally socialize with other jumpers.

In other words, what you are doing is a bit like walking into the drivers locker room at a NASCAR race, and talking smack about them to their faces, or talking up other drivers. In general, people don't like to be treated like pictures on baseball cards, and that's the way that you appear to be treating us. Remember that BASE jumpers are real people, and those real people are really reading and posting here. The guy writing the posts as "jeb" really is Jeb. It's not his agent, or his publicist.

When you talk to real people, or about them to people who are their real friend, as if they were larger than life cardboard cutouts, that's usually going to come across as creepy and somewhat stalker-esque.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

This is not a fucking team sport! This is not NASCAR, not NFL or any of that other lame-assed crap. In fact BASE is NOT a sport at all as far as I am concerned. It is an activity, it is beautiful, it can consume you, it will take you to your highest highs and your lowest lows. BASE is more like a hard drug addiction than anything else.
Those that act like BASE is some competetive sport are the rejects trying to make their existence seem to have some kind of meaning. More and more this is the type that is entering BASE.
If you actually (unlikely) get to a point where you are BASE jumping I hope you can mature a whole lot or there will be few people but the fuckheads and rejects that are gonna want to be anywhere near you including your idols.
Seriously, you HAVE TO BE A TROLL since I find it hard to believe anyone could come by your lack of understanding honestly.
Now go play with your GI Joe or something for fuck's sake.
SabreDave

To most of us, BASE is not a spectator sport. So, to us, the idea of being a BASE "fan" just seems absurd.

AMEN!
SabreDave

One last thing, this is not an insult to BASE but it seems it would be much easier to get into and become a pro BASE jumper then a pro racer or footballer or any of those sports....like I said, not an insult but the truth...

A question to consider/ponder: Are you looking to become a BASE Star or a BASE Fatality?

Personally I'd focus on staying alive... I'd rather be alive than be a star. BASE is not about being a Star... It's an ultra-personal experience...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Tom and the majority of the BASE jumpers on the site are on the money. BASE is nothing like NASCAR or any other sport. Until you've actually done it, you really can't understand it. I think Hunter Thompson said something like you'll never know what it's like to go over the edge until you do it.
Rick
"If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space."
Rick Harrison

to us, the idea of being a BASE "fan" just seems absurd.

are you fucking kidding me??? BASE groupies kick ass!!!! i know a girl that comes with us all the time, just to watch. she will never do it. in her myspace profile it reads "Vicarious BASE jumping"... if thats not a BASE fan, i dont know what is.

a lot of them are super hot. gotta watch out though, keep your distance... a lot of BASE groupies carry the crotch crickets.

I'd seriously recommend reconsidering the way you are posting to this forum. If you really want to get into BASE, you should start considering how you're going to relate to other jumpers (the people you're going to need to approach for help). Your postings here have not exactly shown that you've done any significant research, or put any thought into this.

He won't have to worry, he'll just flash a Gold Card at someone and get gear and an FJC, and make the "proBASEer" goal in 4 weeks.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

haha... yeah. annes says that. but she also specifies that she is NOT a groupie!, she is a band-aid.

groupies are fair game.

it would be much easier to get into and become a pro BASE jumper then a pro racer or footballer or any of those sports....like I said, not an insult but the truth...

as others have said, that is not what BASE is about. I'm not a huge fan of posts declaring xxx is the best BASE jumper, or even better than yyy.

rarely does a video of one of my jumps look very extraordinary. so?

but you are also making a very broad statement. you'd be amazed how easy it can be to become a "pro" athelete. there are many "semi-pro" or "minor league" ways to earn that title. the money earned may never cover their costs, but they still earn something...

but if you fixate on joining the elite of BASE, you probably will not make it. injuries will stop you. instead, focus on enjoying each and every jump with a very detailed eye on safety.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse