NickDG

Warning - The Entire U.S. is Hot . . .

well said :)
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

There are so many talented jumpers out there. So much sick shit goes on, most of it never on video.

agreed. a lot of it is on video, it just, doesnt get thrown on youtube to get those one line comments "sick!" where can i pay to do that?!"

I dont mean this in a sarcastic way, i dont mean this to piss anyone off, but i think that pretty much any of us, given the oportunities that jeb had, could have done just as well or better.

I know that I have jumped with the best BASE jumpers in the world.

never overlook the gnarly wingsuit flights that take place without much notice. Jeb seems to have a nice financial backing to be able to document all the shit he does. Yea, he is a sick jumper, but there are alot of other sick jumpers too.

So Mike, I had a conversation with someone who explained how Jeb's jump affected him. He made a lot of good points and believes Jeb should be ostracized for his action and it's effects. As I said previously, his actions have not impacted my jumping, I'm not really an urban jumper, but I now realize there are jumpers out there who were impacted by his apparent disregard of the long term effect of his actions.

This jumper also felt I was overly harsh in my statement about not giving Jeb shit. As I mentioned in my previous post my statements were not directed at you, but apparently I was not clear enough. I would like to apologize for coming across so harsh.

WE don't risk others, PERIOD! We risk ourselves and that is our choice. It's not about suicide, it's not about a roll of the dice. Everyone one of us do it to live, not to die. What logic deems it to be illegal???
---------------------------------------------------------

For the most part I agree with you. On most objects this is the case. But I have to disagree with you when it comes to a building during rush hour. Although unlikely, if he were to have a mal or strike he could endanger an innocent person walking down the street. Again unlikely but possible.

And I can assure you that if something like that ever does happen things are going to get a whole lot hotter.

. . . .I hope it never does.

Be safe out there.

JP

For the most part I agree with you. On most objects this is the case. But I have to disagree with you when it comes to a building during rush hour. Although unlikely, if he were to have a mal or strike he could endanger an innocent person walking down the street. Again unlikely but possible.

You noticed that the recent suicide didn't hit the street, right?

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

Recently someone commited suicide by jumping off the observation deck at the ESB. They didn't impact the street or sidewalk or anywhere there might be pedestrians. They impacted the roof of a lower level of the building. No danger to pedestrians. If some very, very rare reason Jeb went in with nothing out, I don't think he'd have been a danger to any pedestrians either.

You don't think but it's still a possibility.
There is also a possibility that despite his experience he may have hurt someone on landing.
Even if you don't think it would happen, the possibility still exists it may happen.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

we are talking possibility, not probability... we all understand the difference correct?

we all understand the difference correct?

prossibably :)
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

There's a possiblity he could sprout wings, too, but it'd be pretty rare and has never happened (as no one doing a building jump has ever killed an innocent bystander), so...

we have to look at it from the law peoples point of view. there is 200 pounds worth of meat and plastic going 120 mph at a street full of people, and parachutes dont always work terribly well.

The law has already said I was no danger to anyone :) I already won that case remember :)

I love the empire, they have given my life so much more purpose...

And when we, the BASE jumpers as a whole start saying, "Yeah, there's a chance I might kill an innocent bystander down there. Oh well. 3-2-1 C-ya!" we've seriously hampered ourselves in the eyes of your law.

I'm pretty sure I won't be killing any innocent bystanders, as I am pretty sure I'm not going to be sprouting wings. My parachute works pretty well. If I didn't think so, I wouldn't be jumping.

Let's put it this way, the chances of my parachute not opening and me squashing someone on the ground is about as likely as the brakes in your car going out on your way to work tomorrow and you squashing someone on the sidewalk.

The biggest difference between the two things is peoples brakes have actually gone out in their cars and people have been squashed because of it. In the 1,500 year history of people jumping off structures with parachute like devices not once has a person been squashed or even injured because of the fixed object jumper...

Jeb

P.S. for the historians out there, base jumping came long before skydiving. It is much more ancient then most people realize...

P.S. for the historians out there, base jumping came long before skydiving. It is much more ancient then most people realize...

Yeah, I've never been that good at history. But I did realize that rocks have been around longer than airplanes.

no it didnt. skydiving came first. people were jumping out of airplanes in the 5th century. duh.

and i agree, it never has, and PROBABLY never will happen.

but lets go tell the guvment that and see what they think.

one reason they say aireal delivery is illegal in NPs is that we might kill someone by hitting them.

Hiking and climbing re 1,000,000 times more likely to cause a civilian injury than a BASE jumper.

how many people have been killed by someone else landing a parachute on them? very unlikely indeed. we hurt ourselves not others.

How many building jumps have been made during rush hour in major cities? (Not trying to be a smartass--I honestly don't know. My impression is that most are made at night, or at least at very low-traffic times.) If there have been relatively few, it seems like it weakens the argument that because no one on the ground has ever been crushed by a jumper doing a building jump, the chances of that happening must be remote. If there have been thousands of building jumps but most have been made at times when the streets below are mostly empty and only very few have been made in major cities during rush hour, I don't think you can properly use the results from the jumps made in low traffic times to predict the probability of an accident resulting in inury or death of someone on the ground from a jump made during a peak traffic time period in a very crowded city.

Also, it appears the judge in your case was impressed with how you had studied traffic patterns so that you could time your jump and if all went well, land in a lull. But did anyone (like the prosecutor) point out to the judge that if you had had a mal, you easily could have been completely out of your timing pattern and landed when there was lots of traffic below, and you possibly traveling at high speed? Did anyone point out that, even as skilled as you are, unexpected shit does happen in BASE, and in fact, has happened to you before, like when you had that off-heading at the waterfall and you hit the falls and your canopy collapsed and you pounded in at pretty high speed?

My point here is that even though you planned everything very well so that the risks to others would be minimized, all that planning appears to have had as one major assumption that all would go according to plan, that you would not have a malfunction or an off-heading resulting in an object strike and a high-speed (or at least uncontrolled) impact. But generally people don't plan on having a problem. They may plan FOR it, but they don't plan ON it. And it seems to me that given the very real possibility that shit easily COULD have gone awry and your awesome plan easily could have become irrelevant, if the judge ruled that as a matter of law your conduct was not reckless because you are skilled and put a lot of planning into it, the judge erred and should have at least let the case proceed to a trial before a jury. Kudos to your lawyer for getting you off, but if the judge really did conclude that because you are skilled and put so much planning into the jump you could not have been a danger to anyone, the judge doesn't know much about BASE.

What makes you think I was going to open my parachute over people? I was going to be jumping from over 1,000 ft high. Do you have any idea how far a person can track with tracking pants and jacket?

Let me put it this way, there is a cliff in europe that matches the empire almost exactly. Same hight, same ledge system, same small two lane road at the bottom. I have over 60 jumps from this cliff and when I jump it, I track over the ledge system over the two lane road and I open my parachute over a small field. So at empire i would have tracked over it's ledge system, over the two lane road and opened over the roof of the building across the street. Had my parachute not opened I would have impacted the roof of the building across the street hurting no one but my self :)

I truly believe and live by the concept that your right to swing your arm ends where another persons nose begins. Hurting your self is one thing, but hurting others is completely unacceptable...

Again, though, all of that assumes everything went according to your plan, at least up to the point of opening. But unexpected shit happens in freefall, as well. You could have easily hit unexpected turbulence that would have prevented you from opening where you had intended. Additionally, I work in a highrise office tower and see work crews on the roofs of adjacent buildings all the time. So even if you did open over an adjacent building and slam into the roof, you could still take out someone else.

My point is not that you are some callous asshole with no regard for others. My point, is that there is so much uncertainty in BASE and so many variables in that situation over which you had no control (unpredictable movements of cars and people on the streets and in the surrounding buildings, funky windshear, stuck traffic signals, etc.) that you can't say you posed no risk to anyone else, certainly not as a matter of law, which is what it appears the judge effectively ruled in tossing the indictment.

If you really are committed to avoiding injury to others as a result of your actions, why did you choose to jump during rush hour? You could have timed the lights at any other time of day, and the observation deck is open all day and well into the evening (maybe weekends, too?). You could have easily chosen a time when there would be far fewer people around on the ground, thereby reducing the chances of injuring someone else if everything did go to shit. But instead you chose one of the very busiest times of the day when the volume of people on the ground was near its daily peak. How come?