NickDG

Warning - The Entire U.S. is Hot . . .

Avenphoto you left out the "For all I know" which I figured people would understand as me saying I don't know jack about the ESB.

Rhonda, same thing. Somehow you missed that. I was just saying that I figured it was probably only possible in the day time. It turned out I was wrong and this could have been done stealthier, but you don't know his ulteriour motives either.

Not that this excuses hiim from fault, but it could have been for a show or a movie. He is a professional BASE jumper. That means he gets paid to base jump and he has a shit load of jealous fans.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

Avenphoto you left out the "For all I know" which I figured people would understand as me saying I don't know jack about the ESB.

Rhonda, same thing. Somehow you missed that. I was just saying that I figured it was probably only possible in the day time. It turned out I was wrong and this could have been done stealthier, but you don't know his ulteriour motives either.

I didn't miss anything.

Not that this excuses hiim from fault, but it could have been for a show or a movie. He is a professional BASE jumper. That means he gets paid to base jump and he has a shit load of jealous fans.

Words of wisdom:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/marktwain122650.html
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Atleast you didn't call me stupid head.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

I read "for all I know" as "I really dont have a clue what im talking about but i can't control the urge to puke nonsense out of my mouth and onto my keyboard, so just feel free to ignore or flame whatever follows...." :S
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

We must come together and fight this. This man must be stopped. We must send as many letters from as many people as possible. I am so sorry everyone, this is not how any of this was suppose to go down. This is is a fight for freedom in a country that's motto is land of the free...

Jeb Corliss

http://www.senatorgolden.com/contact_info.asp

[email protected]

So you go and day blaze the Empire State Building (only the biggest icon building in NYC) at rush hour traffic in our post 9/11 environment that we now live in, and and you think we should now come together to stop what was inevitable by your selfish actions? We didn't seem to matter to you when you executed your plan.

How did you think it was going to go down? Do you think if you had made the jump that the NY authorities would have thought, "neato"? Do you think that they would have looked the other way? Do you think the media would have revered you as a hero?

Think back to how the NY city mayor responded to Thor Alex and a russian jumper when they jumped some high profile buildings in NY in 1999. He ordered the police to crack down on BASE jumpers. Even if you had gotten away, at the very least you would have made New York City HOT (as in burnage).

But you ended up getting busted and you got yourself a high priced attorney to fight a misdemeanor charge. What did you think was going to happen if you beat the charges? Remember back when Hank Caylor had a building strike in Denver and was also charged with reckless endangerment. He also beat the charges BUT as a result Denver passed a law that specifically made BASE illegal in Denver. Someone also got busted in Atlantic City and it resulted in a law being passed that made BASE jumping illegal there with a very stiff fine. With this history, how could you not know that they might pass a new law?

So I ask again, how did you think it was going to go down? What did you think would happen if you beat the charges like you did? After you were acquitted, even your own lawyer said this in the paper

“I mean, it’s shocking,” Mr. Heller said. “I would assume that somebody is now going to go to the Legislature and say, ‘Hey, we have a little hole in our book here; we’ve got to plug it up.’ ”

article link: http://www.talknyc.net/jumping-off-the-empire-state-building-now-allowed/

There are more BASE jumpers in this country that do not post online then those that do. The silent majority is very unhappy about your actions. You don't have a good track record either as you have day blazed other objects to get your picture in the paper so you can be famous. But at least you got to promote your 3triple7 shirts.

You are a glory seeker who has disregard the welfare of local BASE communities just like John Vincent and Felix have. John Vincent was tared and feathered for it. But now since you have set into motion concerns with the New York authorities that will most likely result in a new law (like your own attorney predicted), you actually want us to back you.

I sure hope they don't pass this law for our sakes, not yours. Even if a new law does not come about you have still irreversibly hurt the American BASE scene. I will keep making some jumps in a stealthy way, but the bust factor will be more risky. And the next time a glory seeker day blazes a high profile object, the authorities will consider your fiasco in dealing with it then too. If it ends up being a felony like it's proposed to be and a BASE jumper is out doing a low profile stealthy jump (like how Bs should be done) and ends up getting busted, instead of just getting charged with a misdemeanor, he will have a life changing felony on his record. It will mean he can't even vote.

I agree with Mr. Heller that they will probably plug the legal loophole in NY. If jumpers want to help fight this then they should push for it to be no more than a misdemeanor. The idea that they will just drop it because BASE jumpers say BASE is safe or that there are laws already on the books that will cover these acts is delusional. Mr. Heller himself has shown them that the current laws are not sufficient for the law enforcers to stop what they perceive to be illegal.

Mr Corliss, I read your comments in reply to this article
http://www.brooklyngraphic.com/site/tab6.cfm?newsid=17829722&brd=2384&pag=461&dept_id=552852

One more thing Jeb, can you please not make it any worse by making arrogant statements like this

Lets try to help people who really need it. But if you think you can use fear to control me, well you need to think about the person you are dealing with. I jump off buildings and dive with man eating sharks. How scared of you do you really think I am...

I remember a time when BASE jumpers maintained a harmony with the police. We stay stealthy and most of them didn't care that we jumped.

Your right Nick, those days are over.

Basejumper, you're spot on with this one.

A lot of base jumpers seem to forgive Jeb's destructive antics because he has achieved a huge level of fame and success through base jumping. I, for one, have written a few positive posts on Jeb's ESB attempt and now wish I hadn't after having reread your post on this thread.

Thanks,
Mike Pelkey
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Well boys, it was a nice twenty eight year run.

BASE 194

Nice for you... what about us still working for our first BASE jump? :-(

I just think your just pissed because you will never be 1/10th the BASE jumper that Jeb is...

I just think your just pissed because you will never be 1/10th the BASE jumper that Jeb is...

That made me laugh out loud. Are you familiar with Mike's history? He and Jeb have very different jumping stories, but I'm not going to even try to speculate as to which is "more".

Mike deserves tremendous respect. When was the last time that you opened not just an object, but an entire possibility?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Respect your elders man, come on now...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Don't worry KID, it's not your fault that no one has spelled it all out for you.

One of these days you might get it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Sorry Nick,

Some of the very guys you are trying to keep the sport open for not only won't listen, they are actually offended by it. There are none so blind as those who won't see.

You're a great friend, and a great friend to the sport.

Mike
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Nothing against you Mike. You did what you did and you do what you do! Very commendable! BUT don't give Jeb shit. It's a bunch of shit that what happened happened. He didn't endanger anyone. PERIOD!

What you did from El Cap endangered no one and now it's illegal! A BUNCH OF CRAP!!!

BASE jumping truly represents freedom. I realize the dangers and it's still my choice a true choice as to jump or not.

WE don't risk others, PERIOD! We risk ourselves and that is our choice. It's not about suicide, it's not about a roll of the dice. Everyone one of us do it to live, not to die. What logic deems it to be illegal???

(i used to be a avid climber, mostly trad/big climbs)

as i talk with guys from big walls, half of them think BASE is amazing and want to try it, (they climb to be free, and then see base, and say, 'whoa, im weak') the other half are freaked out, and say that one day we are going to hit them and kill them in freefall!!!! i kinda see that they are scared of that, anyone who has heard the sound of rockfall at terminal while hanging onto a wall 500' off the ground knows how they feel. but they just cant see...

You just told more about yourself than I think you wanted to...

"Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pelkey
Maybe you should read up a little.....
And tfelber..he endangered lives all right, the ones we live as base jumpers..

***he endangered lives all right, the ones we live as base jumpers.. ***

He didn't endanger my life one iota(sp???). I still jump what I jump. I still do what I do. He may have made the risky more riskier, but I've heard people say that's why they do it. So in reality he improved their lives!

It all goes back to choice. If you don't want to get busted don't jump illegal stuff. If you're not worried about that then nothing has changed!!!

DoooooooD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I know who he is and what he did, I have already read all that, I just think overall Jeb is the best and there is nothing wrong with that, besides, this is all just MY thoughts, I can't understand why you people get so defensive about it, it is not like I don't think Mike is not good or did nothing for the sport.........

BASE jumping truly represents personal freedom.

;)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Is there a difference in being the best jumper, and being a jumper that cares about other jumpers the best?

I agree Jeb does sick aerials, but you can't say that he is the nicest, most helpful, friendly, or ethical jumper in the land...
Gravity Research Institute

I just think overall Jeb is the best and there is nothing wrong with that, besides, this is all just MY thoughts, I can't understand why you people get so defensive about it

ever listen to sport junkies?
"I love the Cowboys!"
"What!? Are you kidding? They stink!"

I guess it's no different here. you stated a strong preference and others chose to disagree...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

What does it mean to be the "best" jumper..? I guess I don't really get it..the idoltry.
There are so many talented jumpers out there. So much sick shit goes on, most of it never on video.