NickDG

Warning - The Entire U.S. is Hot . . .

Maybe it's about time for something positive from the BASE community to make BIG time national news...

People have been driven by the premise that ANY publicity is bad for BASE...thus ensuring that ONLY NEGATIVE publicity reaches the general population.

have you watched the news lately? i mean, when was the last time anyone saw anything positive on the news short of the fireturck people got the little old ladies cat out of the tree?

There was a huge storm here, about a meter and a half of snow, and some kids decided to go ski down the god damn PUBLIC red rocks ampetheater, the news found some film of it and was freaking out, saying these ids are reckless and are destroying the park. fuck the media, they cant help people like us. nobody likes us.

anything positive on the news short of the fireturck people got the little old ladies cat out of the tree?

Maybe some BASE jumpers could get an old ladies cat off an antennae. You could stage the thing, call the media and stuff..... Just make sure the cat doesn't fry though; wouldn't look to good in front of the cameras...
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Hey, guys. Let's all back up a second here... This is a state senator, introducing legislation for his state, not the nation. Certainly, there is the risk of precedent being set, but Google around a little bit. I caught this article a couple of days ago and in that time, the Brooklyn Graphic is the only rag that's covering it. Brooklyn. Some 150 miles away from the senator's home turf of Albany. He didn't even rate locally. Search the senator's website and you'll find a single press release, dated Jan 18th. It took the "press" a good 20 days to pick it up. Just how important do you think this is to him? He really couldn't give a freefalling fuck.

Somewhere, some junior-level staffer sits paid to watch/read the news and key on topics where somewhere, there's a bit of demographic that might be thinking "there oughtta be a law 'gainst that". And you all know that there are people who think that. S/he then determines how newsworthy a piece it is and whether or not "the old man" should bother championing a cause and getting some press over it. One rag, three weeks later, not picked up by the AP. I'd like to congratulate that junior-level staffer on a job well done. :S

Jeb was busted. Tons of national coverage. Jeb went to court. A little national coverage. Jeb got off. Less coverage. It's fizzled. It's dead. The story is over. Why resucitate it?

Doing nothing is not laying down, it's not conforming. Doing nothing obvious is generally what we do. Go quietly into the good night and jump again. When we're noticed, we've failed--although we all know that when we've been seen on a jump, those who see it see something astonishing and beautiful. Writing a bunch of letters will only serve to show "how many of those crazy lunatics are really out there", in the senator's own words. Write letters and someone has to read them. If someone has to read them, they're taking time away from passing other meaningless, publicity driven legislation, or raising funds to get re-elected.

The flip side... I don't know how closely state legislation resembles congressional legislation, but if there are any similarities, this won't stand on its own. It will be a rider on another, larger, more important bill. And THAT is the real problem.

Still, this isn't the end of the world.

-C.

The legislation would, however, allow the city and the building owner the right to grant a waiver under certain circumstances.

how is that not a good thing?

and man nick, i just read your whole post instead of just the article. you really hate us. dude, this is what happens to amazing new sports. all of them. i like you and respect you dude, but, shite.

Ummm... Just a thought here, doesn't the NPS also have the jurisdiction/right to grant permission for BASE jumps in parks?

I could very well see the building owners/city granting BASE access to a building just as often as the NPS does in parks.

Disregarding Bridge Day, it will never happen. Not on this continent, anyway.

The legislation would, however, allow the city and the building owner the right to grant a waiver under certain circumstances.

how is that not a good thing?

and man nick, i just read your whole post instead of just the article. you really hate us. dude, this is what happens to amazing new sports. all of them. i like you and respect you dude, but, shite.

Ummm... Just a thought here, doesn't the NPS also have the jurisdiction/right to grant permission for BASE jumps in parks?

I could very well see the building owners/city granting BASE access to a building just as often as the NPS does in parks.

Disregarding Bridge Day, it will never happen. Not on this continent, anyway.

agreed. but still, its better than absolutly not never.

i believe nick d. was just being obsurd to make a point is all. acting like an alarmist. to prove a point.

i guess when you see people with talent and bad judgement putting out videos riding a bike off an a cool big "A" and showing the bike hit the FCC regulated "A" for the whole world 2 see in the age of the internet. well? the guy who made that video sure is lucky nobody ever came after him. that's destruction of private property! i mean the video's out there! that's evidence! we should all be careful about the video's we make besides you, they reflect on all BASE jumpers. they think were all like that.

unfortunately there seems to be the whole "all about me" attitude out there and "f@#k em' if they can't take a joke" attitude as well. do you really need attention that bad. why can't you do all that stuff and know you did it and just keep the video to yourself and close friends!

i mean illegal tresspassing is one thing but f@#kin' shit up on top of it and showing everybody really sucks. oh yeah let's have a video of me drinking a beer under canopy as well !! yeah that really adds to the video! i not saying don't do it. i'm just saying don't be such attention seekers about it. this ain't JACKASS!

i guess that sort of thing is what nick d. is talking about???? ehh, what do i know? i'm not even a real hardcore BASE jumper like you guys anyway!
NPS SUX ASS

I've been watching this thread evolve and wanna just intrude for a second...

Don't you think making such a big deal out of this bill that is being introduced, on a public, internationally accessible forum is just going to reinforce to the parties involved, media out there spying and other local authorities who may be looking into the impact of this, that it would have the desired effect. People are already talking about putting off new jumpers and disrupting the industry. This is exactly what they want to hear. If they know its going to work in preventing BASE jumping then they will do it and maybe not just locally to New York, but more widespread.

Whether thats Scoop's chaos theory in action or not I don't know, anyway, I'll drag my sorry ass back to the bonfire now.

Stay safe

dude, all the actualy talented BASE jumpers got banned from dorkzone.

they may be banned from posting, but they CAN still read... or can't they?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

i dono, i hope so. im about to get my Sushirollover and Quadruple slider down barrelroll and 2/1 track down. i still want to be able to read this worthless shite when i get banned

What a bunch of queers!

It's no more difficult now than it ever was than it ever will be.

You could die on any jump. What difference does it make that you could do bird if you get caught?

BASE is for renegades. You get caught...you got caught.

Jeb is the perfect example. He knew the score, he did the deed regardless. Risk management 101.

Figure out your values and act accordingly. Lie in the bed you made.

Too many light weights in this "sport" already.

Fukyall.
$kin
There's only one Tom Aiello...

...putting out videos riding a bike off an a cool big "A" and showing the bike hit the FCC regulated "A" for the whole world to see...

In all fairness, I think Jeb's jump in New York City had probably more to do with the suggested law than the HIDGAF jump in California. I doubt the senator has ever seen the bike jump video, but I'm reasonably confident he has followed the aftermath of Jeb's jump.

That doesn't make Jeb's jump worse than the bike jump in my book, but we shouldn't run and blame HIDGAF immediately either.

I showed Radix to several non-jumping friends and we were all rolling over the floor laughing, similar to how I can enjoy Jackass in the theatre (judge all you want, but Hollywood choreagraphed stupidity makes me chuckle and if you disagree I'll just say you're a snob).

I do think that the bike jump deserves higher penalties than jumps that follow the backpacker's credo, but if extrapolating the former results in higher punishment for the latter, fault lies mostly (albeit not entirely) with the legislators who can't see a difference between simple trespassing or damaging property.

The question then is, is my chuckle and HIDGAFs video whoredom worth the risk? I'd say that it has so far, although I'll admit that more care may be justified in the future.

I think Lifewithoutanet said it right. There's really not much happening yet, and writing letters is only going to add fuel to a fire that is almost dead anyway. Besides, I'm struggling to understand what would be in such a letter. How about this...

Dear legislator,

Please don't make trespassing a felony. I know
it's against the law and not entirely appropriate,
but I'm not harming anybody and just borrowing
some altitude.

Come one people, it's still trespassing at the end of the day and I, for one, am happy there are laws against it so I don't have to worry about people running around in my house while I'm asleep.

What matters are the consequences attached to our petty crimes, and history as recent as Jeb's case has shown that most people still have the brain to put things in perspective.

I get significantly more worked up over the existing law against aerial delivery than a D.O.A. proposal against BASE jumping in the middle of the night.

Nicely put Jaap.

I also thought it was interesting that Nick D is right about me not being alive in a world where BASE didn't exist. I was born in march 84.

Even if it becomes a felony people will base jump, and after a few three strikes you're out cases, where they try to send people to jail for life, because they were base jumping, I think they'll realize it shouldn't be a felony.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

...they try to send people to jail for life, because they were base jumping, I think they'll realize it shouldn't be a felony.

Don't watch the news much do you? Are you aware how many people are in jail for a long time because they smoked weed or did mushrooms?

...Brooklyn. Some 150 miles away from the senator's home turf of Albany. He didn't even rate locally.

Um, isn't Brooklyn his home turf?

I'm pretty sure that he represents Brooklyn in Albany (which is the state capitol).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Um, isn't Brooklyn his home turf?

Actually, you're right, it is. I was referring to a Senator's general representation of state over district, though. Still funny to me that it was only covered by the media in his district and nowhere else.

-C.

...Maybe it's about time for something positive from the BASE community to make BIG time national news...

The only (local) thing that I can think of that comes close to positive; is a benefit for children at the Perrine.

Are you aware how many people are in jail for a long time because they smoked weed or did mushrooms?

Mushrooms are illegal? :o
Looking forward to meeting at our next exit.

It's being coveredd very well right here in an international forum. The widest respect that he or any state seniter from NY has ever receaved.
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

What a bunch of queers!

It's no more difficult now than it ever was than it ever will be.

You could die on any jump. What difference does it make that you could do bird if you get caught?

BASE is for renegades. You get caught...you got caught.

Jeb is the perfect example. He knew the score, he did the deed regardless. Risk management 101.

Figure out your values and act accordingly. Lie in the bed you made.

Too many light weights in this "sport" already.

Fukyall.

Well said.

www.vandrunen.ch

So Im assuming you watched this video, which is why you know about it? And by watching it you have thus supported it. If you have ever bought a BASE video with illegal jumps on it you have supported it. There is nothing wrong with promoting yourself and the sport as cool shit. its the only way it will ever get recognition. I bet you watched jackass and laughed at it, but God forbid you see something you can relate with jackass in YOUR sport!
Skate videos constantly show athletes trespassing, i dont see skaters complaining about their peers.
I enjoy watching those "hey look at me videos." I think they are rad, and if you are not entertained by them then you are a silly sally.
plus it doesnt matter i am so fast at running and good at being stealthy i will never get caught in NY.

some cant even access www.dorkzone.com anymore. They are not able to receive the usuful information the website has to offer, and cant browse the classifieds.

some cant even access www.dorkzone.com anymore. They are not able to receive the usuful information the website has to offer, and cant browse the classifieds.

are you saying banned people can't go to a friend's home and view dz.com? or use a public access pc, such as at a library?

and if the website offers useful information, why do you insist on changing the name? it insults the site and the people who find value here. it shows little respect.

(oh, and btw - plenty of talented BASE jumpers have NO problem posting here. some names you might recognize, and some you might not. not every talented BASE jumper seeks a soapbox, fame, publicity, notoriety, etc.)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Breaking news on Losers News Network. The old lady had a heart attack but will be ok. As for the cat...
Damn BASE jumpers!!
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

First and foremost as lifewithout points out, this is a state senator in NY. The whole BASE community is getting attention cause of the Jeb's Empire state jump. (No offense mate) He got off and that pissed off a hell of a lot of people. So, they are naturally going to go after BASE as a whole.

Second of all, this would only impact NY. (even if it does pass, which would be doubtful cause of the length of time required to drill the bill through) I doubt many other states would follow suit for numerous reasons. First, the Northeast doesn't have much in the lines besides tresspassing sites. Also, the current sites realize that it is a tourism that brings $$$. So, the South and West are highly doubtful that it would follow NY. Furthermore, NYC politics are whole different breed, and I doubt that there is engouh public worry to make this a national issue. (Just stay the hell away from anything that is possibly jumpable in DC) Thus, a federal felony would never occur, and the way that the american's law work is that state laws can't bleed over into other states.

Finally, if you are going to start a campign against this idiot of a senator, then keep it quite till the time is right. Start gathering signatures. The more that the community brings it to the attention of policy makers, then the more they will be able to think and hear about BASE jumping. Everyone needs to lay low on the issue and work together forming a good startegy for if this actually comes to the floor.

Stay Safe