autoset

BASE rigs & Skydiving rigs. Differences?

What are the main modifications do you guys make on a skydiving rig to convert it into a BASE rig?

I keep reading about it but can't imagine what modifications are those.

What are the main modifications do you guys make on a skydiving rig to convert it into a BASE rig?

I'd generally recommend modifying your skydiving rig by calling a BASE manufacturer and ordering a BASE rig.

BASE rigs are much, much cheaper than skydiving rigs (on account of having no reserve system), and are also designed for the specific task at hand.

There's pretty much no excuse for using the wrong gear.

If you are one of those foolish (my opinion) folks who want to use a skydiving rig because "it's only one jump, and it's at this really safe site, where lots of people have used skydiving gear before, and besides I don't really care if it kills me" then;

1) Remove the deployment bag.
2) Switch to a mesh slider
3) Use BASE specific risers (especially if you will be slider down)
4) Get a 9' bridle (9 feet/3 meters from pin to PC)
5) Get a BASE specific pilot chute
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanks man, btw I have read a few of your articles, very good sportsman and awesome contributor to the sport, thumbs up buddy.

My first BASE jump, 10 years ago. I went from 500' on a 1,000' A. I was jumping a PD 190 9cell packed in a d-bag in a Vector II container and using a 34" F-111 PC. It was the only time I ever used a pud straight pin pullout style deployment method, so I had to go stowed. What a friggin snivel, whoooooooo!

So you see, you could actually just use what you have. Though I would take Toms advice with my current, freaked out hindsite. Get a real BASE rig, good luck......
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

I'd generally recommend modifying your skydiving rig by calling a BASE manufacturer and ordering a BASE rig.

BASE rigs are much, much cheaper than skydiving rigs (on account of having no reserve system), and are also designed for the specific task at hand.

There's pretty much no excuse for using the wrong gear.

If you are one of those foolish (my opinion) folks who want to use a skydiving rig because "it's only one jump, and it's at this really safe site, where lots of people have used skydiving gear before, and besides I don't really care if it kills me" then;

1) Remove the deployment bag.
2) Switch to a mesh slider
3) Use BASE specific risers (especially if you will be slider down)
4) Get a 9' bridle (9 feet/3 meters from pin to PC)
5) Get a BASE specific pilot chute[/reply

hey tom a. i've been sky-jumping my BASE canopies out of a really big skydive container system lately and i use my tailpocket to stow my lines. and got rid of my d-bag. of course rolling the snot out of my nose.

how's this guy or anyone supposed to stow the lines if there's no tailpocket. just curious???:)
hey "autoset" don't jump until you learn how to nose roll and line stow without of tail pocket!!! actually don't jump at all without BASE gear!! it's just not a good thing.

later

NPS SUX ASS

how's this guy or anyone supposed to stow the lines if there's no tailpocket. just curious???:)

You can free stow the lines (just S fold them into the container). Although I've done this a couple times, I don't recommend it, because it creates a much higher chance of weird malfunctions (like tension knots). You can also put rubber bands around the ends of the S folds (sort of a detached stow), which is a little better, but also costs you a bunch of rubber bands.

However, in my initial post, I was actually not considering the canopy (just the container).

For canopy modification:

1) Add a tailgate (installation instructions)
2) Add a tailpocket (best is to have one with an anti-slump flap, easiest way to get this is to buy it from a BASE manufacturer)

Again, I don't recommend this. Purpose built BASE gear is going to serve you better, and what's the point in saving a few bucks if it puts you in the hospital or kills you?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I keep reading about it but can't imagine what modifications are those.

modify it into cash and buy a BASE specific rig from Tom Aiello. He's got a nice cammo rig for sale.