leroydb

oregon waterfalls

anyone jump a tall water fall there?

one in question is 611 feet over all with a Tallest Single Drop of 542 feet...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

anyone jump a tall water fall there?

one in question is 611 feet over all with a Tallest Single Drop of 542 feet...

I think yes. Is the place your talking about up river from a popular over look? If so, then yes it has been jumped buy a guy named Larry March back in the early 90's.
The jump went badly for him resulting in injuries which lasted the rest of his life. Be careful.
K

It has been jumped multiple time successfully since then. There is a ranger station directly at the bottom, and from what I understand huge bust potential. The jump itself is wildly technical.

About 10 minuntes from the falls you are thinking of is a different falls -210ft static line that is much more reliable in terms of egress and from what I gather less sketchy overall. I have only jumped the latter.

It has been jumped multiple time successfully since then. reply]

I didn't know that. I guess that just shows how far out of the loop I really am.
k

I don't think its been jumped more than a few times, maybee Ray L will chime in, he would know. It is definitely not a regularly jumped site out here. There's a few of good objects that are pretty close by, though.

The big waterfall you are talking about is Fed. parks service when the other jumps in the Gorge area are Oregon & Washington State parks. There IS a ranger station at the bottom and you 'Will fly over the top', on your flight out to the LZ. The only day I think that fucker is not there is Christmas and New Years day. It also stands next to a Major Hwy. traffic corridor. There are people there viewing and walking up and down to that Falls from the very first light of day till dark, 365 days a year none stop. Very busy place.
The Falls is set-back into a Large Bowl area. There are No Outs right around the bottom areas of the Falls and some bad sketchy ones on your way out. The Falls also Depending on how much it has been raining blows a LOT of water off. With a LOT of Tail-Push, but still DON'T get a 180 there.

Larry March was one of my first SL progression JM's That I had when I first started to skydive out in Sheridan Skydive.
Larry did the big falls more than once. He actually fucked himself up permanently doing the, Point that is near by.
The first person to jump it after Larry march, was Josh McVay. Josh did it solo with his brother as ground crew. Josh also was the first to SL the smaller waterfall down the way and he did that 'Solo' Also. He reconed both 'by himself' , which is pretty ballsey and work out his own exit points also. Josh also went-in at the Point which also he lived near by on his 300th jump, Solo.
for sure the big falls has been jumped by. Larry, Josh, Slim, Dwain, Dr.Nick, DJ, maybe Raislin & Zaz (not sure) and some have jumped it more than once also.
ALSO. not sure maybe " Steve Muholland " might have jumped it also, 'maybe'. To find out if Steve jumped it you need to call. Steve Cooper who is a retired BASE jumper here
I am also Sure there have Only been a couple others who have jumped it passing threw the area. The thing is HIGH Profile if you get caught but can be done if your are very careful and not greedy.
EDITED TO ADD: SPENCE, jumped it too.

I jumped that waterfall in April of 04 (or was it 03?) and had a successful jump from it. The exit point is sketchy to say the least and it needs to be jumped with the waterfall to jumper's right. There are -no- outs, and the altitude is just barely enough to clear the trees at the bottom. (i.e. you'll have your feet kicking through the trees if you do everything right.). Those trees have likely grown since I jumped it, so I'm not sure how doable it is.

It's a very sketchy jump, if you have any kind of off heading or need to correct any malfunction it will cost you altitude you can't afford and your -only- alternate landing area is an extremely technical and dangerous concrete patio full of obstacles. Worse yet it's a go-and-throw-1s delay. The jumper really is setup for failure on that jump, and whiel it's a beautiful jump, and extremely tempting, it has claimed at least one life (so I've been told) and others have ended up hanging from the wall only to be rescued by helicopters).

It also has to be jumped at first light due to the nature of the object (i.e. it's one of the most popular tourist destinations in Oregon), and there is a ranger station at the bottom. It's, high bust, high likelihood of fatality or permanent injury, and extremely technical. It's a roll of the dice in a lot of ways, unlike most jumps where you have the altitude to handle malfunctions, you don't on this object. Even if you handle a malfunction with perfect accuracy and grace, it will cost you the altitude you need to make the LZ.

I walked up it 3 times before finally jumping it. I jumped it when I knew the conditions were perfect... and even though I had a picture perfect jump, I was still very close to the treetops when I flew over them.

My first recommendation is to avoid it. Although if you're not going to listen to that sage advice (I'll never jump it again...) then make sure you go with someone who has done it and can show you exactly where the exit point is and if possible PCA or static line it. At least then your heading performance is increased and you stand a better chance of surviving.

Be well,
-=Raistiln
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

I don't post here much anymore, but I've got to log on and say that jump was in my top 5. Good times Raist!;)

Spence,

That is was my friend... that it was... I was sad you couldn't join me for the second jump 10 minutes afterwards ;-)

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Even thought the Point jump did Larry in physically and mentally. He did not die untill several years latter. Lets not forget the DC-3 tail strike on his Ankles where on climb-out his PUD got pulled and the canopy deployed dragging him into it. Then the motorcycle spill he took also.
He didn't follow the easiest roads in life and didn't really have much in the end. He just lived to jump when he was doing it.