Buffs303

Broken Bones

I have heard about the high % of BASE jumpers who suffer injuries, but I was looking for some feedback from some of you about your injuries. How many hospital trips have you made during your BASE careers and how many total jumps do you have? Feel free to explain some as well (especially the causes of the accidents)

I want to get into BASE jumping eventually, and I think we should all know about the up-sides and down-sides of the sport to be as knowledgeable as possible.

Thank you for your feedback!
Swoop and Poop....my favorite things to photograph

hasnt this been done before? 14 times?

240 BASE jumps, no accidents. only a lot of near misses, 240 near misses to be exact.

Sorry, I am new...I will try not to repeat threads in the future.
Swoop and Poop....my favorite things to photograph

the edge has been found and worn down so much its boreing as hell these days. go find your own edge, an new one. one the rest of us have missed thus far. good advice.

in 330-340ish jumps ive busted myself up once resulting in 15 days at hospital and just completede the 2.nd surgery after that one,ill have a last one done aswell through..

that were jump 30...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

If ya gotta ask, don;t do it.
seriously
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

It’s not only the “broken bones” but also the “collateral damage”. Take me for instance: a 180 with linetwist in august last year resulted in a objectstrike. I broke my collarbone, five ribs and a few theeth. No big deal you’ll say...but : first I had surgery in order to clean a deep cut in my elbow that was badly inflamed. After that I had to wait one month before they could start fixing my collarbone : second operation in order to place an iron plate. After the operation I could not urinate and I was sent home with a suprapubic urine drainage catheder. The first 10 days I had to learn to piss again ! The first 10 weeks my shoulder was hurting like hell. I had 60 sessions of physical therapy. Then finally after three months they removed the iron plate (thirth operation!). Now, I’m in the middle of a new series of physical therapy. My shoulder is still very stiff and it will take at least an other two or three months. Oh, and did I mention the painkillers and sleeping pills? And the stomach problems because of the pills? And the endless paperwork with the insurrance companies and my employer...In total I had 12 trips to the hospital (x-rays, consults, operations...) and 7 to my local medical doctor. And I still have to make an appointment with my dentist...Remember. it was only a broken collarbone and “some bruises”... Are you prepared for this ?
---------------------------------------
Luck beef four Yule heap !

I have heard about the high % of BASE jumpers who suffer injuries, but I was looking for some feedback from some of you about your injuries. How many hospital trips have you made during your BASE careers and how many total jumps do you have? Feel free to explain some as well (especially the causes of the accidents)

I want to get into BASE jumping eventually, and I think we should all know about the up-sides and down-sides of the sport to be as knowledgeable as possible.

Thank you for your feedback!

From your profile I would say best to concentrate on staying uninjured and knocking on the pearly gates in skydiving before you even think about the injuries in BASE. It will also help to understand the difference in injury rates and the reason for injuries.

Did you start asking questions like this on the skydiving forum before you started skydiving? Did it help build your knowledge of skydiving before you started? Did it help to sway your choice about starting skydiving?

One broken tail bone on jump 101.
One shattered femur on jump 133.
One sliced arm from razor wire on a jump to be.
One broken ankle on a jump to be.
One car crash at 50 mph with a black cow after a jump.
Two times nearly eaten by large alligators after a jump.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

A girl I dated looked up stitistics on dangerous sports
and ofcoarse the was all the other fag sports
but they didn't list BASE as one because they wrote it was to hard to calculate they said basiccly its suicide with a parachute
if u only jump pussy objects and u want to be a pussy u might live through it
but if u really want to be cool u have to be willing to die or be a gimp

but if u really want to be cool u have to be willing to die or be a gimp

LOL......that's lame. The downward spiral continues.
SabreDave

One sliced arm from razor wire on a jump to be.

your sure it were ON a jump not on your way to a jump:ph34r:

One car crash at 50 mph with a black cow after a jump.

drunkdriving?:ph34r: poor cow:D

Two times nearly eaten by large alligators after a jump.

your "freinds" really want to kill you be aware dont jump were they recomend:ph34r::D

One broken tail bone on jump 101.
One shattered femur on jump 133.

tugh sh!t dude that short between.. hats off your still in the sport

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Forget about the numbers and just prepare yourself to get hurt if you start base jumping.

After my base accident, many people have asked me: How much did it hurt? Could you stand the pain?

But I think that is a meaningless question. The extreme pain directly after a accident, and the first months after the accident is so easy it can't even be compared to the hard work of living with pain. The interesting question is "For how long will it hurt".

Living with pain and injuries is hard, and there is no other cure than to harden up. Prepare mentally for that and get into hobbies you could continue even if you'd get hurt. Have a good insurance and make sure you got the money to deal with i.e. loss of income.

The extreme pain directly after a accident, and the first months after the accident is so easy it can't even be compared to the hard work of living with pain. The interesting question is "For how long will it hurt".

Living with pain and injuries is hard, and there is no other cure than to harden up. Prepare mentally for that and get into hobbies you could continue even if you'd get hurt. Have a good insurance and make sure you got the money to deal with i.e. loss of income.

VERY well put.

good avice