GreenMachine

A *REAL* BASE Jumper

BASE is THE scariest dream to ever get into!

Doubt it. Yea, its quite scary, but I am sure that there are many more scary endeavors. Not all of them necessarily include risk of physical injury or death, either.

i doubt "atree" or anybody agreeing with him even come close to what JEB has done or are even close to understanding BASE as he's done/doing. the cool people/pioneers he jumped with who are dead now or who died with him on jumps. or not to mention his own injuries.

Careful who you say that to..

Not all of the 'pioneers' of the sport, who no doubt knew many of the same friends and have had similar experiences and injuries, have the same outlook.

I personally agree with the spirit of what Jeb said: You can quickly tell the difference between people who are willing to take risks to achieve their goals and the people who aren't.

What I don't necessarily agree with, and what I think atree is pointing out, is the notion that these people are all "BASE Jumpers". To me, that statement implies something along the lines of "We BASE Jumpers are such a cool and elite group... but anybody who follows their dreams is also pretty cool, so let's go ahead and let them into our little club of the Coolest People Ever and call them BASE Jumpers too"

I'm not saying thats what Jeb meant at all, in fact I think he really meant quite the opposite, but that's just how it came across to me when I read his post.

People in other adventure sports, such as climbing, surfing, and waterfall kayaking have very similar outlooks on life... does that make me a surfer? nope.

Homosexuals who go parading down the street carrying signs and protesting against gay marriage bans have also chosen to follow 'their own path', going against the grain, overcoming their fears (not of jumping off of stuff, but of being ostracized by family/friends/community) and take their own set of risks to follow their.. um.. lifestyles..

Does that make them BASE Jumpers too? Or does it just make all of us Fags?

pretty funny??!!?!?!?!?

nice analogies???? uh? you kinda missed the point. i think. nobody saying we're cooler elitest etc. i didn't get that at all.

i brought up pioneers meaning people he jumped with who are no longer here. and he keeps going. and plus to show he's been around awhile, jumping circles around most of us. and he's still here.

also you can see a "Potential"/current BASE jumper just by the way they talk about. what priority it plays in their life etc. it doesn't mean anybody is a BASE jumper. and i must add. i've met some "cool" BASE jumpers. i personally i thought they were "fags". and wondered why the jumped at all???

i guess theres no point in bickering over this. we can have our own opinions and read into what he said in our own way. or think we know what the scariest this or that is or have our own ideas of what a BASE JUMPER is???

all i know is i'm a BASE jumper and i'm sure you'd say the same about yourself as well.

have safe and fun jumps Ghetto and all other BASE jumpers.:)
NPS SUX ASS

Does that make them BASE Jumpers too? Or does it just make all of us Fags?

ha ha ha ha ha ha............ I just laughed so hard i think i re-injured my self. christ, my ribs and shoulder are killing me, and i'm still laughing.... ow, you bastard!

PS: i vote for the latter

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to tear apart what jeb was saying. Like I said, I really don't think he meant that. I was just trying to point out that people could take it the wrong way. I just thought your comment regarding 'atree or anybody agreeing with him' not being even close to understanding BASE was a bit rash. I wasnt trying to bicker, just playing the devils advocate :)
Now that I've accidentally hijacked the thread, I'll put in my 2 cents on the main topic:

A BASE Jumper is a person who jumps off of fixed objects. There are jumpers who are 'self-actualized' and believe to have found their calling in life, and there are jumpers who jump because they are lost and don't know what else to do. There are jumpers who feel their lives are completed and made whole through BASE jumping, and there are those who only really care to make an occasional jump for shits and giggles. And of course there are probably jumpers who have met some or all of the above criteria at some point in their lives.

I jump because it's fun and I enjoy the adventure; not just the jumps themselves but everything that comes along with it. I jump because pushing myself and overcoming challenges is rewarding and I think it makes me a stronger person.

**Ghetto clicks post, sighs, tosses his mouse in the trash can, and heads to the bars because its way too windy to jump**
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Any of you who know me know I am not
a real BASE jumper by any measure.

However, BASE 515 / Mike's retirement made me think
of something I heard in Idaho. To be a real BASE jumper
one has to break themselves and come back. At the time
I thought it was stupid and still do -- here's why:

It is highly doubtful anyone would say BASE 515 / Mike is
not a real BASE jumper. He did 600 jumps in 9 years and
per another poster those were injury free. In my opinion
this is a damn good thing! Congrats Mike!!

I could give a fuck what anyone else thinks, I hope in 9 years I've made 600 jumps and kept myself injury free...

Not only is he aREAL BASE jumper, but he is also obviously a REAL SMART BASE jumper...which I believe to be preferable to the first.

Kurt
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to tear apart what jeb was saying. Like I said, I really don't think he meant that. I was just trying to point out that people could take it the wrong way. I just thought your comment regarding 'atree or anybody agreeing with him' not being even close to understanding BASE was a bit rash. I wasnt trying to bicker, just playing the devils advocate :)
Now that I've accidentally hijacked the thread, I'll put in my 2 cents on the main topic:

A BASE Jumper is a person who jumps off of fixed objects. There are jumpers who are 'self-actualized' and believe to have found their calling in life, and there are jumpers who jump because they are lost and don't know what else to do. There are jumpers who feel their lives are completed and made whole through BASE jumping, and there are those who only really care to make an occasional jump for shits and giggles. And of course there are probably jumpers who have met some or all of the above criteria at some point in their lives.

I jump because it's fun and I enjoy the adventure; not just the jumps themselves but everything that comes along with it. I jump because pushing myself and overcoming challenges is rewarding and I think it makes me a stronger person.

**Ghetto clicks post, sighs, tosses his mouse in the trash can, and heads to the bars because its way too windy to jump**

i'd say were probably on the same page.

again safe and fun jumps.-----i see by you last statement or sig.line the winds been goofin' up your jumpin' lately as well. i've been walkin' away from alot of stuff lately because of the wind.

i'm sure someone will blast me as not bein' a real BASE jumper because i can't handle the wind lately??:P:P:P

later man
NPS SUX ASS

January sucked for me wind wise as well...

yeah i wish somebody would turn the frickin' wind off!!! what's the point of it? what does it do??? i never even noticed the wind before i started jumpin'. now i notice all the time. and now can't quite figure out its' place in nature??

and please no geeky computer nerd, dungeon and dragons playin', video game playin' goobers need 2 actually get on line and give me an answer to what wind is and it's place in nature.

it's just an angry, frustrated, selfish, statement i'm venting!!! a wanna-be, half Real BASE jumper!!! you should just pitty me. and look away disgusted!!! if this keeps up. i'm going to be THAT guy you see screaming down the street to himself. "the wind", "THE WIND" , "THE F@#KING WIND". "OH , THE MADNESS" ,"OH THE HUMANITY". uh something gay and dramatic like that!?!?!?!?

I HATE THE WIND!!!

later
NPS SUX ASS

Maybe you should change your diet, eat healthier, drink less soda and stuff and then perhaps you will have less wind.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Maybe you should change your diet, eat healthier, drink less soda and stuff and then perhaps you will have less wind.

thanx!:( i don't drink much soda. or booze or do drugs. and actually have been told by women i'm a picky eater. high maintenance eater, hydroguys girlfriend i believe said that??? anyway. pretty funny:P
don't mind me, i'm just angry>:(!

be safe and later
NPS SUX ASS

too windy eh? wasn't i being bashed about a month ago for not doing a floater from a guyed tower in 50mph gusting winds? shutup and go jump!
;-)
Nathan

Hydroguy has a girfriend?! I thought he was a *REAL* Fag ;)

Dude, WTF?

Didn't you sell your BASE gear after your FJC?

Shoo fly, shoo

Yes, i sold my BASE gear after my FJC.
After some time and reflection I got another rig.
I have not jumped it yet but I have 2 objects
currently under research.

PM sent explaining my deleted post was ONLY in
jest with someone with whom I thought I could joke. [:/]
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

:P

LOL, if I was really upset about it I'd be typing stuff that Mr. Aiello would give me a 14 day learning lesson over...

Any of you who know me know I am not
a real BASE jumper by any measure.

However, BASE 515 / Mike's retirement made me think of something I heard in Idaho. To be a real BASE jumper
one has to break themselves and come back. At the time
I thought it was stupid and still do
-- here's why:

It is highly doubtful anyone would say BASE 515 / Mike is
not a real BASE jumper. He did 600 jumps in 9 years and
per another poster those were injury free. In my opinion
this is a damn good thing! Congrats Mike!!

"To be a real BASE jumper
one has to break themselves and come back" ?!?!?

hunh? WTF?

Did I get lost in a time warp or something? So now these "so called instructors" are teaching new jumpers that in order to be a REAL BASE jumper they need to be injured first and then when they return they can be a REAL BASE jumper like all the other BASE jumpers who have screwed up and gotten themselves all busted up. Gee, no wonder the current fatality rate is 12 times what it use to be.

GreenMachine, good job for realizing what a stupid concept that is. That has got to be the most messed up thing I've read since, well, since Mr. Corliss burnt down NYC.

Didn't you say somewhere that you took Tom Aiello's FJC in Idaho. I assume Tom is the one that tried to teach this to you. My guess is since he has put himself in the hospital at least 3 times that I've heard about, and his reputation on the street is that he is not all that skilled a BASE jumper, that he tries to indoctrinate his students with "To be a real BASE jumper one has to break themselves and come back" so that they will perceive him as more of a real BASE jumper than many other very talented and skilled jumpers. Hmmm, I think I recall reading somewhere about Miles D never having been injured, and doesn't Miles also run a FJC in Idaho. Since it's been so obvious that Aiello doesn't get along with Shane McConkey and Miles D it's not hard to read between the lines.

GreenMachine, if you stay in the sport and travel around and travel to Europe, you will meet loads of BASE jumpers who have never been injured. These are the ones who should be considered to be the better BASE jumpers because they have talent and skill and use good judgment to avoid getting hurt. Even Dwain Weston who pushed the envelope all the time was never injured with something like 1,200 jumps (sadly he did die doing a stunt skydive though) and you can tell in some of his writings that even though he took big calculated risk, he was all about not getting hurt.

You're absolutely right about BASE 515 being a REAL BASE jumper. And not only a real BASE jumper, but one that has been smart enough to stay within his abilities and using good judgment to keep from having to sacrifice precious flesh and bone for having a good time in freefall.

just curious as to who might have said that?

The first person I heard say it was Jeb Corliss.

Nice deflection Mr. Aiello.

Hmmmm, hasn't Jeb injured himself a few times as well? So Jeb gets hurt and then jumps again and then starts stroking his ego by telling other jumpers "To be a real BASE jumper one has to break themselves and come back". It's unbelievable that some one's ego can be so big.

So I guess Mr. Aiello and Mr. Corliss are the "REAL" BASE jumpers then since they both got hurt and then jumped again. <---sarcasm
Hail to thee both!!!! :S

Mr. Aiello and Jeb disrespect all those smart and uninjured BASE jumpers that came before them by saying and repeating such utter self-promoting rubbish to these new jumpers. In fact they even disrespect those who have been injured.

What is a real BASE jumper? (stupid question)

Someone who BASE jumps. (<---- as in period)

Older jumpers know that the object of the game is self preservation.

I think those who have executed skill, wisdom, and good judgment and not been busted up as a result should be the ones we look up to. Sure any BASE jumper can get injured, but there is nothing good about that and it should not be revered as something to brag about.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

Yet another anonymous chicken shit who gets on here and talks a bunch of smack about people he doesn't know personally, wishes he could be, or wishes he could hang out with. If impersonation is the best form of flattery, then anonymous internet bashing must be the highest form of jealousy. If you can't put your name behind it, don't bother sayingit.

From a truly objective point of view. I would like to think a true BASE jumper as anyone who, either in a justifyable act of passion or self-defense, impaled someone with a Triax T-stake.

But like I said - objective.

- Chris Harvey (Meathead, Jumping Type, 1 each, Expendable)
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Yet another anonymous chicken shit who gets on here and talks a bunch of smack about people he doesn't know personally, wishes he could be, or wishes he could hang out with. If impersonation is the best form of flattery, then anonymous internet bashing must be the highest form of jealousy. If you can't put your name behind it, don't bother sayingit.

Sorry but I'm an underground BASE jumper because of my business and because I want no glory. I have been around a lot longer than you. I have legitimate opinions concerning the sad state of affairs that BASE is in these days.

Corliss and Aiello are the ones telling that nonsense to other jumpers and yes I think that kind a rhetoric is harmful to new jumpers trying to figure out how to be.

Sorry but I'm an underground BASE jumper because of my business and because I want no glory. I have been around a lot longer than you. I have legitimate opinions concerning the sad state of affairs that BASE is in these days.

Corliss and Aiello are the ones telling that nonsense to other jumpers and yes I think that kind a rhetoric is harmful to new jumpers trying to figure out how to be.

the only reason i'm responding is i'm the one who asked " just curious as to who might have said that?" and then TOM A. said JEB. and then i said something like " i dont believe he would have said it exactly like that"............. LOOK AS FAR AS I KNOW TOM A. does not promote that IDEA nor does JEB. as far as i've ever heard either one talk about their bad experiences they've both just talked about their experiences in a "don't do what i did" kind of way.

i also think you need to re-read the whole thread because JEB chimed in at one point and said some things.

and again i don't think "greenmachine" heard THAT (REAL JUMPER CRAP) from TOM A. and from his course come on'!

maybe "greenmachine" should chime in.
LATER
NPS SUX ASS

If you are so underground, why do you have an email address in you profile? Reverse lookups can tell a lot.

Who the hell wants to be injured jumping? Accidents can and do happen, sometimes regardless of the skill of the jumper.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Hey BASEJumper,

It sounds like you have a lot of experience.

I was wondering if I could ask you a technical question:

When performing a rollover (unpacked jump, where the canopy hangs at the end of the lines and the jumper launches over it), can you tell me if it's important to maintain line tension? Should the jumper launch hard out, to keep the lines tight? Or should the jumper launch down at the canopy, inducing line slack, as the central jumper did in this accident?

Here's some food for thought:

After I posted my thoughts on that accident, that jumper became very hostile toward me. He felt that I had unfairly summarized the accident, and that somehow I had done this as a personal affront to him. After repeatedly launching into tirades and personal attacks, his account was disabled on these forums.

Shortly thereafter, a new account was created that posted many similar things. The user of that account claimed to be a real person, but it turned out that, in fact, he was not. He was, in fact, the same person, back to throw around more anonymous attacks.

This week, that same old incident report got brought up in conversation in this forum again. Unsurprisingly, a new anonymous account was created by someone claiming vast experience, but unwilling to give their name or substantiate their claims. That new login launched into the same type of attacks again.

I'd suggest that you ought to have a good hard look at yourself, and your real motivations for launching these attacks. Could you be feeling guilty? You shouldn't. Accidents happen in this sport. People make mistakes. Yes, you made some mistakes, and yes, someone got hurt as a result. But no one is blaming you, aside from yourself. Self-blame and guilt are making you lash out at me. All that's doing is making you look silly.

Stop beating yourself up. It wasn't your fault, and no one blames you or holds you responsible.

Nick, I'd be happy to talk with you about this, if you can get past the stage of shouting obscenities at my voicemail. You've got my number. Give me a call. I'm not your enemy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

YES, I took my FJC with Tom Aiello, which
I thought was well worth my time & money!!

NO, he was not pushing the idea that you
have to bust yourself up to be taken seriously
in this sport.

It was just one of several things mentioned during
our open discussions, which is why I did not quote
him when I first posted. However, it was definitely
the one that made me shake my head the most!!

Another stupid thing I heard was: "You are not a
REAL BASE jumper till you have more BASE jumps
than Skydives."

Lastly, Tom Aiello stressed the importance of safety,
progressing slowly, the high risks of injury or death,
and personal responsibility throughout the entire course.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

the only reason i'm responding is i'm the one who asked " just curious as to who might have said that?" and then TOM A. said JEB. and then i said something like " i dont believe he would have said it exactly like that"............. LOOK AS FAR AS I KNOW TOM A. does not promote that IDEA nor does JEB. as far as i've ever heard either one talk about their bad experiences they've both just talked about their experiences in a "don't do what i did" kind of way.

i also think you need to re-read the whole thread because JEB chimed in at one point and said some things.

and again i don't think "greenmachine" heard THAT (REAL JUMPER CRAP) from TOM A. and from his course come on'!

maybe "greenmachine" should chime in.
LATER

Are you talking about this post that Jeb made? I think it's a bunch of rubbish as well.
I just embedded my thoughts on his post below {...}.

To me base jumping is not an activity, it's a philosophy. It's a an understanding of ones own mortality. It's about knowing one day you will die and not allowing the fear of that inevitable fact to prevent you from living your dreams and doing what you love. To be honest I don't even feel a person needs to jump off things with a parachute to be a base jumper. {WHAT? That is just absurd} I have met people that have yet to do their first base jump but you can see in their eyes that they already are base jumpers. {They might have a personality prone to become a BASE jumper, but until they start BASE jumping, they are not BASE jumpers} You can see that deep down in their heart that nothing will ever stand in the way of their dreams.. {for example like when consideration for the rest of the BASE community didn't stand in the way of your dream to get video and gain notoriety by day blazing the Empire State Building}

I have also met people that have been base jumping for years. Yet they are not base jumpers. {WOW!!! How insulting to these BASE jumpers} You can see it in their eyes and in their actions. They jump off things with parachutes but they don't fully understand what that really means. {how do you know they don't understand what BASE jumping means?} For some of them jumping off things isn't their dream. {fairly arrogant of you to say you know what their dreams are.} It's not even important to them. {Again, how do you know that?} Some of them don't even like it. It's not worth dying for something that means nothing to you. {This particular sentence I agree with} These people seem to be the ones that watch someone die in base and then go "holly shit, you mean people can die doing this"?

I have always felt that if a person stops base jumping because of an injury or because of witnessing an injury then that person was never being realistic about what they were doing in the first place. Any person in base that does not understand that getting injured is not only possible but very likely is living in a total delusion. So many people wonder through life without really thinking about their actions and what it really means. {Yea, like your actions in NYC.}

Don't get me wrong, a persons dreams can change depending on where they are in life. If a person stops base jumping because they have grown and have fulfilled their dream, then that person will always be a base jumper. Even if they never jump again. At one point in life maybe base jumping is fulfilling your dreams and then at another point it might be helping cure cancer and then at another point maybe it's raising children. To me base jumpers are people that turn dreams into reality and don't let fear stand in their way...

{like some others have already said in this thread, people fullfill their dreams in many different ways that have nothing to do with BASE jumping. That does not make them a BASE jumper}

Jeb Corliss

Hey BASEJumper,

It sounds like you have a lot of experience.

I was wondering if I could ask you a technical question:

When performing a rollover (unpacked jump, where the canopy hangs at the end of the lines and the jumper launches over it), can you tell me if it's important to maintain line tension? Should the jumper launch hard out, to keep the lines tight? Or should the jumper launch down at the canopy, inducing line slack, as the central jumper did in this accident?

If you are having personal issues with someone then that is between you and that person. To answer your question to me, when doing a roll over it is best to lauch out toward the horizon.

If you are so underground, why do you have an email address in you profile? Reverse lookups can tell a lot.

Who the hell wants to be injured jumping? Accidents can and do happen, sometimes regardless of the skill of the jumper.

Thanks for mentioning that, I didn't look at my profile that closely.

As far as your statement about how accidents can happen to any BASE jumper, I totally agree. Which is why I said this in my post above

Sure any BASE jumper can get injured, but there is nothing good about that and it should not be revered as something to brag about.