GreenMachine

A *REAL* BASE Jumper

LOL Tim, I was just giving Russel mad props...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

If an injury affects your decision to jump, you wonder if you really understood what you got into in the first place.

When I got hurt my boss at the time asked if I was going to return to jumping and I said something similar to explain to him why I just said "Yes" so quickly..... he then sacked me.... B|

I do understand why people give up after an accident, I also understand why people go back after an accident. You dont need to have had an accident to be a BASE jumper, but one of the biggest tests one can have is going back to it.....

I too agree with Yuri. He has been a great mentor to me in the sport and taught me to always wear the proper gear on every jump...:)

just curious as to who might have said that?

The first person I heard say it was Jeb Corliss.

I can't say i know jeb. but talked to him a handful of times at the DZ. he seems pretty humble. i find it kind of hard to believe he would have said it exactly that way?? "ONLY a real BASE jumper....."?
NPS SUX ASS

To me base jumping is not an activity, it's a philosophy. It's a an understanding of ones own mortality. It's about knowing one day you will die and not allowing the fear of that inevitable fact to prevent you from living your dreams and doing what you love. To be honest I don't even feel a person needs to jump off things with a parachute to be a base jumper. I have met people that have yet to do their first base jump but you can see in their eyes that they already are base jumpers. You can see that deep down in their heart that nothing will ever stand in the way of their dreams.

I have also met people that have been base jumping for years. Yet they are not base jumpers. You can see it in their eyes and in their actions. They jump off things with parachutes but they don't fully understand what that really means. For some of them jumping off things isn't their dream. It's not even important to them. Some of them don't even like it. It's not worth dying for something that means nothing to you. These people seem to be the ones that watch someone die in base and then go "holly shit, you mean people can die doing this"?

I have always felt that if a person stops base jumping because of an injury or because of witnessing an injury then that person was never being realistic about what they were doing in the first place. Any person in base that does not understand that getting injured is not only possible but very likely is living in a total delusion. So many people wonder through life without really thinking about their actions and what it really means.

Don't get me wrong, a persons dreams can change depending on where they are in life. If a person stops base jumping because they have grown and have fulfilled their dream, then that person will always be a base jumper. Even if they never jump again. At one point in life maybe base jumping is fulfilling your dreams and then at another point it might be helping cure cancer and then at another point maybe it's raising children. To me base jumpers are people that turn dreams into reality and don't let fear stand in their way...

Jeb Corliss

now i believe that sounds like something JEB would say!!!;)

.... I have met people that have yet to do their first base jump but you can see in their eyes that they already are base jumpers. You can see that deep down in their heart that nothing will ever stand in the way of their dreams................................I have also met people that have been base jumping for years. Yet they are not base jumpers. You can see it in their eyes and in their actions. They jump off things with parachutes but they don't fully understand what that really means. For some of them jumping off things isn't their dream. It's not even important to them. Some of them don't even like it. It's not worth dying for something that means nothing to you. These people seem to be the ones that watch someone die in base and then go "holly shit, you mean people can die doing this"?..................... To me base jumpers are people that turn dreams into reality and don't let fear stand in their way...

Jeb Corliss

well said!
later

NPS SUX ASS

Jeb's statement is exact.

I can see the look in somebody's eyes and already know they are a base jumper.

After I shattered my femur into many large pieces(Very nearly killed me - I bounced and landed on a fire ant nest that consumed my right arm and crotch, lost 60% of my blood in the surgery and didn't get a blood transfusion due to a blood supply contamination scare), I made a jump 6 months later from 600 feet from a dicey antenna and it was somewhat scary stepping off the edge after such a long and painful recovery. People thought I was nuts for going back. If I stopped because of this injury, then I never ever understood the real risks of what I was doing.

I will not base jump for the rest of my life most likely. I plan on making a few more jumps from key sites before retiring from it. My life list consists of many other things, such as writing a book, learning quantum field theory, learning to play an instrument, doing a start up company marketing one of my inventions, have a family, etc.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I agree with ya Jeb.

What I see happening now is BASE is so easy to attain through a first base course or a Base jumper who is helping their friend get a jump, it is getting less respect. There is nothing worng with mentors or first jump courses. They are a very safe way to get into the sport. They are also great for the individual whou just wants one jump. But you have individuals who expect to be spoon fed all the information. They do no research and have no fear or respect for the activity.

In my opinion dont consider yourself a BASE jumper if everything has been spoon fed to you, you get your BASE jump and then expect to follow people to exit points. I feel true BASE accomplishment is when you have taken what you have learned from your experiences, others advice, and apply it to exploring and opening new objects. Going out in the backcountry or a new Antenna, or new Building ( as for bridges they are just training tools my opinion only) and telling yourself I am going to jump off that bitch. Doing your homework getting that jump in and walking away. That feeling to me is most rewarding in BASE. You dont even have to open it up what matters it is new object to you and you applied what you had to get off it.

I could see how someone might not desire what I desire and that is fine. We all become base jumpers for our own reasons. Plus where I live exploration is endless others might not have that. The value of a new jump in one weekend holds more value then a bunch roll overs off a bridge.

So thats my two pesos

Diego

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

interesting perspectives all around.

to me the reason that someone is motivated to BASE is so personal that it can't be defined in words. words are flimsy things that can't truly express what we feel in our core. am i a *REAL* BASE jumper? i don't care if i am or not. i don't care what other people think. maybe i do it for the simple reason that i want to.

word. theres nothing like opening that first object.

mine was at 17jumps, alone.

word. theres nothing like opening that first object.

mine was at 17jumps, alone.

diego can appreciate that. his first BASE jump was off an A he opened.

respect.

You´re description of a base jumper is a description of a person who has self actualized and discovered ther true vocation. It has NOTHING to do with BASE jumping. You can call them a dreamer or whatever... It just means they are following their own path... Their inner voice. There is no such thing as a fucking BASE jumper. We are just humans. Some who are lost and havent found their way. Some who have. Telling them apart is fairly simple. But the ones who have found their way are NOT called Base jumpers. In fact that might be incredibly offensive to some. To me it´s a meditation. It brings me down to earth. It´s a part of what makes me whole.

But seeing somebody as a whole human being and labelling them a BASE jumper I think is very shallow and narrow minded. There are so many incredible things upon this earth that fulfill peoples beings.

You´re description of a base jumper is a description of a person who has self actualized and discovered ther true vocation. It has NOTHING to do with BASE jumping. You can call them a dreamer or whatever... It just means they are following their own path... Their inner voice. There is no such thing as a fucking BASE jumper. We are just humans. Some who are lost and havent found their way. Some who have. Telling them apart is fairly simple. But the ones who have found their way are NOT called Base jumpers. In fact that might be incredibly offensive to some. To me it´s a meditation. It brings me down to earth. It´s a part of what makes me whole.

But seeing somebody as a whole human being and labelling them a BASE jumper I think is very shallow and narrow minded. There are so many incredible things upon this earth that fulfill peoples beings.

you seem to miss the point and focus on the word BASEjumper too much

Beautifully said.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

...as for bridges they are just training tools my opinion only...

:D:D:D

Dude, you need to get out more. If you want I can give you directions to at least 5 bridges that you are guaranteed not to think of as "just training tools."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Is one of those near the potato bridge?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I have been around amigo, One of my scariest close call jumps actually was off a bridge. I didnt mean to offend, I just meant they are good to train on. I am sure there are some technical bridges out there. In fact Bridges need more respect then they are actually given, hence all the injuries that are occuring off bridges.

And Tom I would like those directions. Sounds fun.

D

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

There are 4 jumpable bridges within about 30 miles of here. They range from a nice beginner bridge (the one everyone jumps) to a sort of intermediate bridge (the one that starts with H), to a fairly technical one (GF) to a super insane, once in a lifetime, one (MG).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

So I guess it's OK when the moderator breaks the forum rules. :S I know 3 out of 4 of those sites. But since you provided the initials, the 4th won't be that difficult to figure out. :P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

There are 4 jumpable bridges within about 30 miles of here. They range from a nice beginner bridge (the one everyone jumps) to a sort of intermediate bridge (the one that starts with H), to a fairly technical one (GF) to a super insane, once in a lifetime, one (MG).

Has MG ever been jumped ? Or any other "possibles" in the vicinity ? It looked sketchy as hell when I checked it out.

you couldn't have missed his point more???
which basically in a nut shell is......not letting even the inevitable get in the way of your dreams (BASE). and BASE is THE scariest dream to ever get into! and to love it and live it and not let the inevitable (i.e. injuries or black death) get in your way. and have the full understanding of this on each and every jump and push most of the fear to the side and move forward is a BASE jumper!

i doubt "atree" or anybody agreeing with him even come close to what JEB has done or are even close to understanding BASE as he's done/doing. the cool people/pioneers he jumped with who are dead now or who died with him on jumps. or not to mention his own injuries.

later
NPS SUX ASS

That's it Tom, I'm banning you from this forum for 2 weeks for site nameing!

P.S.-PM me and tell me how I ban you.......
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

BASE is THE scariest dream to ever get into!

Doubt it. Yea, its quite scary, but I am sure that there are many more scary endeavors. Not all of them necessarily include risk of physical injury or death, either.

i doubt "atree" or anybody agreeing with him even come close to what JEB has done or are even close to understanding BASE as he's done/doing. the cool people/pioneers he jumped with who are dead now or who died with him on jumps. or not to mention his own injuries.

Careful who you say that to..

Not all of the 'pioneers' of the sport, who no doubt knew many of the same friends and have had similar experiences and injuries, have the same outlook.

I personally agree with the spirit of what Jeb said: You can quickly tell the difference between people who are willing to take risks to achieve their goals and the people who aren't.

What I don't necessarily agree with, and what I think atree is pointing out, is the notion that these people are all "BASE Jumpers". To me, that statement implies something along the lines of "We BASE Jumpers are such a cool and elite group... but anybody who follows their dreams is also pretty cool, so let's go ahead and let them into our little club of the Coolest People Ever and call them BASE Jumpers too"

I'm not saying thats what Jeb meant at all, in fact I think he really meant quite the opposite, but that's just how it came across to me when I read his post.

People in other adventure sports, such as climbing, surfing, and waterfall kayaking have very similar outlooks on life... does that make me a surfer? nope.

Homosexuals who go parading down the street carrying signs and protesting against gay marriage bans have also chosen to follow 'their own path', going against the grain, overcoming their fears (not of jumping off of stuff, but of being ostracized by family/friends/community) and take their own set of risks to follow their.. um.. lifestyles..

Does that make them BASE Jumpers too? Or does it just make all of us Fags?
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."