dbagdrew

44th Jump Story (kind of long)

This is a story about a recent jump. DISCLAIMER: It is long and not very exciting, just thought I would share.

Here is a recap. (~230' freestanding antenna with a large crow's-nest at the top, for the record)

Adam (another local jumper) had called me earlier in the evening telling me they were thinking of heading out later. I was going to my folks for dinner and while I wasn’t feeling up for a jump at the time I thought that I would leave my options open and throw my rig and gear in the car. Background: I had surgery 3 weeks prior to remove a leaking saliva gland from my neck. Nothing major, but I was in the hospital recovering for 4 days. I have been feeling good lately, and went skating that night, and it felt good, as it had been a while since I had done anything physical.

As the night progressed, I was thinking more and more about making a jump. My thought was, as this is a pretty low profile site, I could take my time on the climb, and that seemed ok.

I am jumping a BJ 260 in a Perigee Pro, this was my 44th Jump. I also have a well tuned DBS. I did this by getting a rigger to sew 6 settings in, about an inch apart, and jumped them all (well 5 of them) off the Potato Bridge. Getting the same people to watch me and help me decide which was best. Not the most precise method maybe, (as you cannot get them exact) but this is my first rig, and it is close enough for me.

Me, Adam and Mike (another local jumper) and 2 guys on ground crew, drove to the site. The three of us took our time climbing. Winds at the top were a little on the strong side, but steady. I would say 15-20k.

Upon my wind analysis, I was 3/4 for my criteria (borrowed from a local jumper, and I added the direction one). Criteria is: Are the winds predictable, are they consistent, what is the strength, and is the direction appropriate? If you have ¼ you should probably go home. (at least my thoughts) Depends on the object of course. There are times that even one of these not being on would make the jump not happen (obviously)

So, in this case they were consistent, predictable, in the right direction, just a little on the strong side. Stronger winds on an antenna are not bad, as it blows you away (everyone knows this, I'm sure, just being thorough). We talked about possible implications of strong winds. First, there is a good chance that the canopy will open in a stall, or something resembling/close to a stall. This could/likely will result in less canopy time, as it will take more time to get it flying. If you had a 180, this would not be a problem, but you would be facing the object (obviously). With the magnitude of the winds, I was confident that you would be blown far enough away from the object. We also talked about the fact that the ground winds were low, so if you had a 180 and didn’t do anything, you might end up getting a surge (potentially right away), or a lot of drive as the wind dropped and could potentially fly back into the object. Just something we talked about and kept in mind.

Winds were in the same direction on the ground, but lighter, ~5k. Something else we talked about is the fact that there was a significant change in strength of the wind from the ground to the top of the A. Because of that there is a potential for some turbulence (not sure that is the right word) or at least a wind shear or something, as you hit the point where the wind changes speed. There was a fairly laminar change though. It got progressively stronger the higher we climbed, so this was not really a concern.

Had some issues with pilot chute and s/l control, as they were blowing around pretty good. Glad I had an elastic (or as some know it as a rubber or a band or whatever) on the bridle. I was going to jump first and had Mike holding my pilot chute; the winds were mostly out of the west, but at a slight angle, so slightly NW->SE.

Me and Mike decided to go from the NE corner, (despite the wind direction, that would have lead you to believe that you should jump from the SE direction). There were a couple reasons, and I will go into them. For one, the landing area is not as ideal on the SE corner. There are power lines that could come into play, and I (not wearing my glasses-as I didn't want to lose them jump. By the way, my eyesight is not that bad, and I did all my jumps at Twin Falls without them, so I am comfortable jumping without) couldn't really see where the power lines were for sure. Secondly, the angle of the wind was not that large.

Adam decided to go from the SE corner, and he had a couple reasons as well: First, directly underneath the NE corner there is a bit of a structure, some kind of pole or something sticking out a bit. It was not sticking horizontally past the exit point, but a concern for Adam none-the-less. I looked at it and felt confident that I would clear it (I decided that I would give a hard launch, to ensure 110% that I would clear it and give my self a larger margin of error, being fully aware that this would further lessen my canopy time, because of the time that it would take for me to pendulum back under my canopy), but Adam was more comfortable on the other side (SE corner), saying that worst case, he could land on the road. (100% fine with me, by the way). His other reason was that from the direction of the winds, that was the best corner.

So the plan was for me and Mike to both get ready, and tie off. I would go first, then Adam and then Mike last.

I got set up, with my s/l set up to the right of me, and the wind going slightly left to right. Mike was holding my pilot chute, I started to count, and Mike said hold on, as the wind was causing my s/l to slide to the right, away from me. He slid it back, and held it better, with a little bit of a struggle. I counted again, and gave a real hard launch. Felt good, and I got a pretty good kick/swing into the harness. Got on the toggles pretty fast, and got it turned around, but not all the way into the wind (almost directly cross wind). I was coming in a little hot, and decided to roll/PLF on landing. Got my new gear dirty, but I was feeling good about the landing. Glad I was wearing full pads, by the way. (knee/shin pads, helmet of course, upper body armor – minus the back protector, as it doesn’t quite fit the contour of my back, and increases pin tension significantly enough that it gets in my head. I just need to buy some that fits me).

Apparently, due to the wind, I side-slid across the entire platform before I released my brakes. I wasn’t really aware that I was moving that fast horizontally. I believe that we mis-judged the actual direction of the wind. I/we should have spent more time assessing the direction (my opinion). A 170-150 to the left from that corner could have been nasty, I think, as you would have to decide to either turn to the right, into the wind (relatively) or left, with the wind, but rotating towards the object. I kind of chose to ignore this fact, something we had talked about on a previous jump from this object.

Leaving from the SE corner would have been the best option, in hindsight.

Adam was next, he left from the SE corner, and flew straight, landing downwind. He landed with no problem. I asked him what the reason for just flying straight, and it was just that he didn’t feel comfortable turning that much that low.

Mike was last, and the plan was for us to all be tied off and ready to go, then go in subsequent order, to minimize exposure time/lessen potential bust time. But Mike was having trouble with the static line sliding to the right, down the rail, like mine did. He could not control it, so he decided to cut the break cord and move to the corner that Adam jumped. It was a good thing that he did, as Adam’s carry-with you static line thingy was still on the object [see below for reason]. Mike was able to retrieve it, so as to not leave anything on the A. Mike tied off and jumper, he was able to turn 180 after opening and get right back into the wind and had a good landing. We were around the site for longer that I would have liked, but it turned out ok.

I played in an intramural basketball game two days later, and I was feeling quite weak after. I am not quite in the shape I thought I was in. Again, in retrospect, getting injured and having to potentially fight for my life would really suck in my condition. I am reminded that being in good shape is extremely important in the event of an injury, by a close friend who was almost fatally injured after a jump off of an ‘easy’ object. I truly believe he would have died had it not been for his excellent physical condition. That said, I don’t think I will jump again until I am convinced that I am fully recovered from my surgery and back to the physical condition I was before (not that it was that great). But you see my point.

Summary/Lessons.

I think I was a little too set in my ways when I decided to jump from the NE corner, due to fewer obstacles. I should have been more open to jumping from the best place.

Check to make sure you have you carry with you static-line thingy as you bag your canopy, especially if there is still some one on the object that could get it.

Wear pads, even on ‘easy’ objects, you might need them.

Physical condition can be more important than you think, and the draw to get back into it as soon as possible can be dangerous.

Note: I am not trying to preach, I am just sharing my thoughts. Thanks for taking the time.

I would love to hear feedback on my thoughts, my choices and my analysis (especially the wind thing). Reply privately or publicly, as you prefer.

The following is from Adam, his comments from the jump.

You may also like to make reference to the fantastic GC we had that night. Communication was essential in assessing the ground winds, which were quite negligible. As for my carry-with, the white [section, see attached picture] was correctly tied to the bridle, however, we missed that the Red portion did not include the bridle, but only onto the structure. So what you get is a “parallel” pull on the red line and break cord. Whereas, it’s a “series” connection of the white line, break cord, and bridle. Really for the sake of all that effort, I might as well have tied the bridle directly to the object and saved a bit of face in an incorrectly connected carry-with :P . Functionally the same haha, but leaving gear on an object is a no-no.

Note: I attached a picture of the static line setup, as it is supposed to be (and so people know what I am talking about, in terms of colors.)

Maybe Adam can post a picture of what he did, so as to clarify what happened.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

Holy shit drew, if that is in fact your real name. This is actually the first time I have to do a tldr.

You should have said the story was about dancing a grim fandango with death (or some story about you jumping off a 100 foot bridge to impress some 16yo...apparently I read those)

i wasn't there but.............why didn't you just use a 46" f111 pilotchute and go and throw??? i seems like the s/l was kind of a problem?

i just recently did a "other" of the same altitude. handheld. had some wind. i used f111 pc. cuz' they don't grab the wind as quickly as zp. sometimes better for heading. but the other side says when your low do want a slower opening??

i'm not knocking you. or puttin' you down at all. just wondering?
NPS SUX ASS

i wasn't there but.............why didn't you just use a 46" f111 pilotchute and go and throw??? i seems like the s/l was kind of a problem?

You're right, the s/l was kind of a problem.

This is an object that I would like to free fall at some point. But not for a while.

In any case it was not in the plan for any of us that night, and it seems like conditions are not the best reason to make a decision like that, well to me anyways. Thoughts along the lines of "hey we are having trouble with this static line, let's just free-fall it" seem like a bad idea to me.

Also, all 3 of us have less than 50 jumps each, so we are inexperienced. It has been free-fallen before, in fact I heard that a jumper went stowed from a stinger that is about 20' higher than the crownest.

That being said, low-ish freefalls are not a big draw for me in this sport. I got into it to jump big cliffs, and don't have much interest in testing those kind of limits, at least right now.

Long answer, but anyways, not something I would have considered.

Andrew

i agree about rather doin' big altitude over low stuff. but every once in a while your just drivn' along and low and behold look at that!! can i?? get the laser range finder out! and then for some reason you do it or attempt to.

again i wasn't questioning you guys at all. it's just kinda sketchy (to me) to do s/l on an "a". with limited room and lot's of wind. i've recently walked away from a bigger "a" because of wind issues. sometimes depending on you surroundings wind is not your friend on an "a".

i personally won't do s/l's because of lack of groundrush (which i like). i would opt. to walk away from an object if i can't free fall it. anyway sounds like it was fun or learning experience and your still here so.........
NPS SUX ASS

I agree with your SL decision of this object given the current conditions. As Mike (if Mike is who I think) and Adam well know I have a pretty busted up leg, still not walking right, off a similar elevation object.

It wasn't that may canopy didn't open soon enough, it's that you have very little time to deal with issues from that altitude. All I had to do was a hard 90 right and I still ran out of altitude before I ran out of speed.

I think all your decisions sound very reasonable except the side you chose to exit from. I think it is a much better choice to exit as Adam did and land straight in as a plan. Then if you need to turn for whatever reason you are setup with a higher likelyhood of success.

You guys need to head south in a couple of months and I should be jumping again. maybe TF March 11-17th, eh?

i personally won't do s/l's because of lack of groundrush (which i like).

When you first start BASE it feels a bit wrong because it is so low compared to skydiving. Then when you do low SLs it feels very wrong because it is so low compared to freefall BASE jumps. That half second after you exit on a low SL will really fuck you in the head. :)
edited to add : I am by no means an experienced or proficient SL jumper, above was just my opinion. Regarding the original post, I didn't see any mention of winds at opening height, only top and ground. For a freefall I would toss some bits of toilet paper about '150 from the top (for a go + throw) for a SL about '50 to '70. Personally I would generally feel safer freefalling a '230 freestander than SL'ing it if the landing area allows but that might be due to the fact we jump so many '220 pylons here. Also, the glasses thing, the fact that you mention it means it was probably headfucking you at the exit point (daylight bridge jumps are bit different as you've probably noticed).

Regarding the original post, I didn't see any mention of winds at opening height, only top and ground. For a freefall I would toss some bits of toilet paper about '150 from the top (for a go + throw) for a SL about '50 to '70.

That is a good point, might want to try that next time. We did stop at several points during the climb to assess winds. And we did throw some wdi's from the top, but throwing some at around opening height is a good idea.

Also, for the record, I did mention in my post that the winds were getting gradually stronger the higher we climbed.

Also, the glasses thing, the fact that you mention it means it was probably headfucking you at the exit point (daylight bridge jumps are bit different as you've probably noticed).

It definitely was messing with my head a bit. I feel comfortable without, and did do several jumps at night off the bridge as well. That being said, my night vision is noticeably worse than my day vision (if there is such a term).

I am going to start to wear contact lenses on my jumps I think, especially at night.

I agree with your SL decision of this object given the current conditions. As Mike (if Mike is who I think) and Adam well know I have a pretty busted up leg, still not walking right, off a similar elevation object.

I always wanted to freefall this object till I saw the outcome of your last jump. That said, under the proper winds, there is an big open field to land in so it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Hope you're healing well buddy. I can't make March but maybe sometime in late April? I'll be in touch with you and vince

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

Also, all 3 of us have less than 50 jumps each, so we are inexperienced. It has been free-fallen before, in fact I heard that a jumper went stowed from a stinger that is about 20' higher than the crownest.

Me and Cooper have FF that deck HH many times. I also McConkeyed it back in 2002 or 2003.

I was there when that little stinger was freefallen and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Lonnie climbed that little fucker, it was swaying all over the place, a combination of his weight and the wind, and he jumped it stowed. He had to clear the deck below which sticks out what...6-8 ft? It was a jump none of us locals would have even dreamed of. Like Douggs said to me in the past, Lonnie you're one hardcore mofo!:D

Me and Cooper have FF that deck HH many times. I also McConkeyed it back in 2002 or 2003.

Did you McConkey it to get a second jump in, or did you head out there unpacked?

Lonnie climbed that little fucker, it was swaying all over the place, a combination of his weight and the wind, and he jumped it stowed. He had to clear the deck below which sticks out what...6-8 ft?

Yah, at least 6-8 feet. Right in the middle of that huge crowsnest. If it wasn't confirmed independently from the jumpers who saw it themselves I wouldn't have believed it. Who even thinks of doing stuff like that?

It was a jump none of us locals would have even dreamed of. Like Douggs said to me in the past, Lonnie you're one hardcore mofo!:D

I heard that he got canopy just before impact, is that true too or exaggerated?

i personally won't do s/l's because of lack of groundrush (which i like). i would opt. to walk away from an object if i can't free fall it

And that's the only reason???
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I would say that was exaggerated, but he did intentionally wait to clear the crowsnest before deploying, so I guess it's all relative. Maybe Lonnie can comment.

I can't remember if the rollover was a second jump or not. Maybe SabreDave remembers.

Just keep that site lowkey OK...it's a good one.:)

One of my most memorable 2-ways Dude!! That was a sweet object!!!

I'm not sure if that stinger was swaying from the wind, or my knees knockin! HA!!

I don't remember it being that close, but I do remember that pole sticking out! :o
NEVER GIVE UP!

I will do my best to keep that object low profile, it's one I would like to jump for a while.

One of my most memorable 2-ways Dude!! That was a sweet object!!!

I didn't realize that that jump was a 2-way. How was it set up? Did 587 leave from the corner at the same time?

Wow...

That's all I have to say...

I would say that was exaggerated, but he did intentionally wait to clear the crowsnest before deploying, so I guess it's all relative. Maybe Lonnie can comment.

I can't remember if the rollover was a second jump or not. Maybe SabreDave remembers.

Just keep that site lowkey OK...it's a good one.:)

I was on the ground for that one shooting pics. I could see Lonnie's sillouete against the black skies climbing up that stinger. Saw him pitch as he passed the crow's nest and in all the jumps I have seen off that object (20+/-) that was the lowest opening. Like Spencer said, "it's all relative." THat was a pretty sweet jump.

As for the roll over, it was just you and me buddy. You went there to do just that. It was early morning but getting towards that early morning light and morning traffic was picking up. Ahhhhh, the memories, sniff, sniff, I need a hug!:P
SabreDave

I'm not sure if that stinger was swaying from the wind, or my knees knockin! HA!!

Quality! :D

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

Did you McConkey it to get a second jump in, or did you head out there unpacked?

Haha, let me guess what you want to try next time. ;)
Looking forward to meeting at our next exit.

i personally won't do s/l's because of lack of groundrush (which i like). i would opt. to walk away from an object if i can't free fall it

And that's the only reason???

i don't get where your coming from mr.hydroguy???
what other reasons could there be??? do you have something to get off your chest??or are you just stoned?-again!

later
NPS SUX ASS

Haha, let me guess what you want to try next time. ;)

I have no idea what you are talking about, I would never try anything like a McConkey off a solid object.:P

Another thought to those that are following this story and analysis.

From SabreDave:

Why didn't we consider PCA'ing the first 2 people in order to minimize the PC and bridle blowing around like that?

Honestly I didn't even think of it at the time, but it would have been a good idea to lessen the risk, at least for the first 2 guys.

Just something to think about, for me.

Thanks Dave.

please for the love of God
this was a BS jump nothing happend
and know one cares
if it was a cool jump i could see u wanting to brag but give us a brake already
I feel asleep reading it after 2 minutes so did anything even remotely cool happen

[blah, blah, blah]

Mmm. I love the taste of piss and cornflakes in the morning.

and know one cares
if it was a cool jump i could see u wanting to brag but give us a brake already
I feel asleep reading it after 2 minutes so did anything even remotely cool happen

More intelligent prose from 1072! Once again, I am stunned at the wisdom and eloquence of your words but let me ask you, what kind of "brake" would you like?!?! Would you like a disc brake or a drum brake? Deep brake or shallow brake? Maybe a Jake Brake is what you are after?
There is break chord (cord in U.S.) and there are brake lines so before you go slamming shit that you don’t have to read please learn to communicate in proper English.

Thanks in advance

P.S.- I think you meant "no one" but I could be wrong.
SabreDave