reukkes

Slider down/Slider off?

What do you do for short delays?

Is there somebody out there who's concerned about an accidental riser release and the fatal consequence of not having a slider above your head?
trust but verify

Is there somebody out there who's concerned about an accidental riser release and the fatal consequence of not having a slider above your head?

In my opinion, it's "six of one, a half dozen of the other."

Slider off: The risers can spread more, and the canopy theoretically ought to fly better as a result. The canopy is slightly easier to get into the pack tray, and everything sits cleaner without the slider in there.

Slider down: The slider cross connects the risers, which can save you if one riser blows, because you'll have more fabric staying inflated over your head (I know of at least 2 cases in which jumpers credited this with saving their lives). The slider can also prevent you from over-rotating a fast aerial by catching your feet and "bouncing" you back down on the correct side.

Personally, I jump both ways without thinking about it. I don't think it matters too much in 99.9% of cases.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No, I'm not concerned about an accidental riser release and the fatal consequence of not having a slider above my head.
If you are, by all means keep it on.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

What does a riser release have to do with a slider?? :S

Just say no to drugs, dude.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

huh?! this is pretty obvious. It should be basic knowledge if you are basejumping! If you can't imagine the riser is held down by the slider in case of a release, I think you better start playing golf...:S

trust but verify

In the event that one riser releases, the slider can (and has, on a couple occasions) hold the released riser down somewhere near the jumper, allowing the canopy much more inflation than if the riser rode up above the canopy (basically making that half of the canopy--at least--into a streamer).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Then there are the possible rigging errors with slider off.

Definitely. Many people like to leave the slider on because they don't want to create chances for error in repeatedly putting it on and taking it off (and opening the links).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What rigging errors are possible slider off, but not slider down?

I can see your point in way Tom. But it seems since the majority of people just use the front slider stops to keep the slider from traveling up the lines. That the opening force would pull the slider grommet past the stop in that case, which would result in a streamer anyway. Yes or no??

The only BASE risers I've with a positive attachment point to keep the riser down are Gargoyle risers, and then only on one side.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I can see your point in way Tom. But it seems since the majority of people just use the front slider stops to keep the slider from traveling up the lines. That the opening force would pull the slider grommet past the stop in that case, which would result in a streamer anyway. Yes or no??

Just take some time and take a good look at your risers. In case the grommet passes below the stop, it's stil being held by the riser on the opposite side. It's not difficult to imagine, you've just got to know your parachute before you jump it!
So short answer: No.
trust but verify

Only one riser attached and the slider on can still save your life. It's happened already to a Hungarian guy in Italy. He posted a while back explaining what had happened but I forget which thread. If you're worried about that, keep it on. Personnally, if I don't need it, it comes off. it's really not that much trouble.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

IMHO I guess, best answer to this Q is:
Get the one rig set for S-off jumps and on for sub-term or term- jumps :)
If not than keep the slider and better use all your energy to pack or learn to pack nice and neat than hassle around w links and screw yourself w possible rigging error... :S[:/]
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Go release one side and pull on it. The risers form a V. The slider would catch in the V.

Then again, it would pull the slider up the lines on the other side to some extent. I think that's what you're talking about?

Good times.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I guess you know a lot more than I do. But how exactly would the grommet pass below the stop??? Or did you just word that wrong?
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I guess you know a lot more than I do. But how exactly would the grommet pass below the stop??? Or did you just word that wrong?

It's not whether the grommets of the slider are above or below the stops, thats not the question.
It's about the slider not coming off the risers -ever-, try to imagine the V shape...
trust but verify

this is crazy talk take it off
why add another element to the equation for an off heading
maybe 9 times out of 10 your fine but that one time your slider catchs the side of your container or twists your risers
and ban your eating a building. not me buddy ill keep mine off
and so will anyone else jumping with me
my stance on this is, if u want to come to my town and jump with me.
then u do it with out a slider
or u can find your own objects and jump alone

sliders kill

and if u have a riser release I have a very hard time beleaveing that a slider will save u

Ill test this theory in the summer and video it
hell I could be wrong ///out of a plane

but on less your over alot of water or tress your gonna wish u were dead anyway

and if u hook up a riser wrong and dont do a gear check then u deserve what u get

K.I.S.S.
I never jumped slider down(besids at the perrine and people survive incredible stuff there..),i always have it off(take off.. huh i mean i replace it if needed:ph34r:)

I know there has been some riser release out there,BUT if you as i chek your gear on the exitpoint also controll the loop is ok and the cabel is pulled as far as it can up towards the slider..well..

at least it worked for me,i like the profile my wing gets whith out the slider,also as its removed its less prone to rigging erros

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

What rigging errors are possible slider off, but not slider down?

He's talking about the potential for error when you open the links to remove the slider or put it back on.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

That's Magot talk I suppose, telling it like it is.
You could say though that if you like to take coffee breaks while packing and have a short attention span, keep it on.
Nevertheless, there has been at least one save keeping it on, and I don't know of any deaths in BASE linked directly to the slider. i agree that it's one more snag point when it's down. Ah well, whatever!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

even as i know that sliders has saved lives as of riserrelease then i dont think i heard of any who got killed by riserrelease while BASEjumping,or di i rember wrong?

Why? i think people who dont trust their slider might chek up on their risers beffore they go..(not saying that the saved once didnt..).just a thourght...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I jump slider up or off, 99% of the time. I take the potential rigging errors into account, but i check it well, (i think) .

Another thing about slider down, it might be longshot, but when the slider is down, on my short metal pin toggle risers, i THINK* it was the cause of my lost toggle. I think slider down, and in the path of the toggles COULD* possibly cause a toggle to blow at the messy linestretch phase. but thats just my *

I like slider down, but I would jump slider off. Slider down is less work. The risers on my DP hold the slider down strongly enough by just pulling it past the links on the front risers. I don't know if that would help or not in the case of a riser release, but I don't think it causes any ill effects by keeping it on as long as you put it in the container neatly and keep it shoved in the middle after you've cleaned up the risers.

After I take off my links, I still have more gear fear even after checking it 3+ times than if I just pull the slider up or down, and reroute the brake lines.

I also don't think the glide is going to be that much different unless you're also taking the time to loosen up your chest strap after you're open.

I do think slider off looks cooler in pictures. You would also save wear on the slider by leaving it off.

Pardon me, but what is a "DP?" That acronym has a lot of potential meanings. :$
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Tom, why not have the TFBA step up and test these theories with the patented "Maggot test jumper configuration" by PCAing a manniqunn(of the appropriate size/weight) off Perrine with one of the risers released.

Get video from different angles.

No, I'm not trying to be funny. Not really.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"