Zoter

Subterminal slider up on heading performance

....is there any evidence/experience that suggests heading performance is 'worse' for larger canopies ( 285+)compared to 'smaller' canopies, in the 4-7sec region due to the fact that pressurisation takes longer..?

...that suggests heading performance is 'worse' for larger canopies [...] due to the fact that pressurisation takes longer?

On the other hand, a larger canopy has a higher inertia. In other words, it takes more force to get it turned around. Which of these effects is stronger, I don't know. Just throwing an unscientific idea out there.

Tandem paraglide canopy ? 745
Headings and pressurization together at 4-7 seconds delay ? To many variables to pin point actual variance in pressurization delays and heading.
All is way influenced by conditions for a constant measurement of heading and pressurization for a factual answer to the question.
4-7 seconds slider-up. What are we talking about ? 850 to 1200 feet ? depending on the person exiting and the experience level ? Plus, 4's to 7's is in the ' La La land ' between No-Slider and that sweet terminal tracking. Jumping the La La land zone is large even though it's only 4 seconds difference of delay speed.
I have a huge amount of openings slider-up from 4's -5's. 4's to 7's, is notorious for that snivel that will sneak up on you when you least expect it. Also I have been spanked on some opening from time to time on that scale of delay when it was the exact packjob from the last.
4-7 seconds are affected much by variations in wind conditions, packjobs and the 4-7 second delay time itself. 4-7 sec. slider-up is a huge margins of inconsistencies of speed and mechanics plus the human factor when all put together.

I was just kidding. I thought that size was so ridiculously large that everyone would realize I was kidding. Over the size range I jump (245 to 285), I have seen no relation between size and heading performance.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174