bertusgeert

Cliff jump (into water) question

(I post this here because it is not skydiving/bonfire related and I will get the answer I want 10 times faster here.)

My buddy tells me of a cliff he jumps regularly that is 100 feet in Blue Mesa Lake (CO). I have been on cliffs that high and I struggle to believe that someone casually jumps off of cliffs that high. I do not believe it undoable, but I do remember hardcore greek divers in a documentary doing no more than 130 feet.

Also, what is the competition regulation height for olympic diving competitions? I think it is 10 meters or 33 feet.

(I googled but could not find.)

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

cliff jumpers do jump from over 100ft they dont do it casually they are skilled about it

Landing feet first? Doable if you have diving experience. I'd pass.

Back in the days I saw an extreme highdive competition sponsered by a wellknown energy beverage, and those guys jumped from 85feet (I think). Only one dude dived head first though.

Just don't land on your gut/back, tuck your machinery between your legs (spillage is inevitable) and squeeze you asshole shut. :S

My buddy tells me of a cliff he jumps regularly that is 100 feet...

If you go feet first, it's doable when treated with the appropriate respect. When I was younger we spent entire summers jumping a local bridge which offered platforms at 30, 50 and 70 feet. I guess the draw of gravity and human flight was strong even then.

Around that time, it just so happened to be that two friends and I were all madly in love with this girl from high school. One day she came out to watch us jump.

Trying to find ways to impress her, the topic quickly shifted to the legendary second bridge. One mile down the canal was a bridge with an arch that was 100 feet above the water. The story was that somebody had jumped it once, but nobody was sure if that person survived or not. Remember, we were sixteen...

Ten minutes later we find ourselves at the bottom of the arch in our swimming shorts, the girl standing by the water. It was here we ran into the first problem. Picture an arch about four foot wide. The bottom of the arch touches the road, and was quite steep. So with cars wizzing by and honking at us, we each took turns sprinting up the arch to get to the point where friction would allow us to climb further.

Now started a precarious shuffle to the top of the arch. Arriving there, we were 50 feet above the road deck, and 100 feet above the water. It was there we noticed the second problem. The arch wasn't completely against the water side. At road level, there was an twelve foot wide bicycle lane between where we stood and the water. We had noticed it from below, but standing at the top none of us were certain we would be able to clear it.

Fortunately, teen romance and peer pressure enables even the most cautious kids to do stupid things. So five minutes later we played rock-paper-scissors, telling me I'd go off third.

The first guy goes. He takes a solid launch, gets sucked down the void, falls fifty feet where he passes the bicycle lane by a mere four feet, falls another fifty feet and then makes the loudest splash I've ever heard in my life.

Seconds later he emerges from the water, screaming of joy.

The next guy took a few steps, cleared the bicycle lane quite easily, and makes another explosion in the water. A little longer this time, he emerges; not so happy. Screaming and cursing about how painful it is if your nutsack is pushed into your sphincter, I started to learn what exit point anxiety is like.

Oh well, for girls and glory. Off I went...

It all went fine. I landed with a big splash, swam to shore where we highfived and each got a hug from the girl.

My two friends decided to go again. So they ran up while the girl and I stayed behind (even then it was quite obvious who was the smartest of us three). When they finally made it to the top of the arch, I suddenly noticed flashing lights on the road deck.

Oops. The cops had shown up. They forced my friends to come down. Shuffling down that arch, gracefully falling past the bottom steep part; It seemed a lot more dangerous than jumping into the water.

Meanwhile, the girl and I ran into the forest and escaped the 80 dollar fine my friends got.

You'd think this would be a great opportunity to score the girl. Sadly, I was sixteen, shy and stupid. But at least we jumped the legendary second bridge. All hundred feet of them...

Long story, but 100 feet is survivable even when your sixteen and stupid. Just make sure you go feet first and shit your pants. Dive head first however, and it'll require significantly more skill. I never dove from anything higher than 20 feet.

Oh by the way, some of the numbers in the story above may be embellished, similarly to how the original poster's buddy embellishes his cliff jumps.

Also, what is the competition regulation height for Olympic diving competitions? I think it is 10 meters or 33 feet.

The most common high-towers I've seen in public swimming pools are 10 meters, which leads me to believe you are correct. There are competitions that go higher, but they're not Olympic.

I did a 90' cliff in Texas. It blew my asscheeks so far apart I thought I was bleeding. Three minutes later I crapped a gallon of lake water. If this info helps you out at all......
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

:D:D:D

You made my day!
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I've been off 110' a few times and regularly jump a 70 footer. These were measured using a competition ski rope that has the different length markers, not a laser. I've taken about 4-5 people off the 70 footer and all of them have been hurt to one extreme or another. The worst being a buddy that hit the water in a perfect sit position. When we got back in the boat he was trying to be cool and say he was OK, buit it only took a couple of minutes before the bottoms of his arms and the backs of his legs turned a nice purple color and he could no longer act cool. In about another 20 minutes he was ready to go home.

He didin't go to the hospital and had no long term damage, but it was quite painful.

Hit feet first, feet together, and put your hands over your head. Stay vertical.

Maybe fashioning a loin cloth out of saran wrap would help.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Long story, but 100 feet is survivable even when your sixteen and stupid. Just make sure you go feet first and shit your pants.

Thanks for sharing your story. I quite enjoyed it.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

(I post this here because it is not skydiving/bonfire related and I will get the answer I want 10 times faster here.)

My buddy tells me of a cliff he jumps regularly that is 100 feet in Blue Mesa Lake (CO). I have been on cliffs that high and I struggle to believe that someone casually jumps off of cliffs that high. I do not believe it undoable, but I do remember hardcore greek divers in a documentary doing no more than 130 feet.

Also, what is the competition regulation height for olympic diving competitions? I think it is 10 meters or 33 feet.

(I googled but could not find.)

well, i regularly cliff jump 85', and if you do the math, its pretty close to the same as 70' or 100'. I always hit feet first. I always wear sandles. I USUALY wear a life vest, as i have seen my freinds get knocked out from messing up an exit.

cliff diveing is WAY different than that bullshit diveing boeard ballet that they do in the olympics. thats 10 meters like you said. and pro cliff divers can beat 130' for sure. but the cliff divers are not going for a tripple whatever with a baby splash.

I do it casualy, while my highest as of yet is only 96'. all at L.P., and a rock query in MN. he is telling the truth, there is some sweet cliff jumps I have seen done at blue mesa. sketchy ones at that. the greek divers are pros, and go at it differently than us wannabes.

Oh by the way, some of the numbers in the story above may be embellished, similarly to how the original poster's buddy embellishes his cliff jumps.

there are some of us, who are still young and still very, very stupid. I have BASE jumped cliffs that i have jumped without a parachute. (however, i strongly recomend, even over water, at 96', use a PCA or static line:S)
I brought my laser to the sites i jump, and bouncing off a kid in the water after he surfaced, off our highest jump, i got 31 an 32 meters.

I exaggerated when i was little about the height of cliff jumps. but we proved it with a laser at the rock query, we found out something kinda scary, and kinda cool. over the last 9 years we have been jumping that mine, the water level has risen about 7" a year, with one year having dropped 15". I dont know how accurate that stuff is, but we got it offline at some fishing websight.

In durabgo, CO, there is a 10 meter bridge that everyone and their mother goes and jumps. its a good gainer practice platform. the creek is 15' wide at the impact, and about 15' deep. its a cool place, but i have heard of kids dieing there, and seen it on the news. i didnt understand why, but the river is running at a fair pace, and if you impact something thats floating down the river, (i did once) you could get knocked out. luckaly, i just got a bad bleeding bruise on my chin.

funny, the highest jump at every multiple exit cliff jump place is 100'. at that same mine, there is a 'white rock jump, that only the seniors have done. its a long hike, and we always look at it to speculate the height, and to marvel at how the seniors hiked over there and jumped it.

well, the last year we were out there, I brought my BASE rig. we took a group of local kids we met on the hike, they asked why i had a huge backpack on. they had heard of the white rock being jumped, but never seen it. they say they met the kid who jumped it.

it took 30mn to get over there, through brush and mosquitos. we got to the exit, only to find it is 130', and not verticle. not verticle as in you would need a motorbike to hit the water, we had never seen it from the exit, only the other side of the mine. no one had ever jumped the white rock.

I've done 35'-90' quite a bit (the 90 footer is the easiest due to its severe overhang--the 80 footer is the scariest--can't even see the water when you jump..E.P. in CA) And was foolish enough to do 110' ONE time in Costa Mesa, CA (wouldn't do it again).

You land wrong from 100' and you could be hating life (or loving death even)!

pope

And was foolish enough to do 110' ONE time in Costa Mesa, CA (wouldn't do it again).

Dude, I live in Newport Beach and one of my businesses is in Costa Mesa...what the hell did you jump that's 110'?

Share via PM if you feel more comfortable.

Kurt
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I've done 35'-90' quite a bit (the 90 footer is the easiest due to its severe overhang--the 80 footer is the scariest--can't even see the water when you jump..E.P. in CA) And was foolish enough to do 110' ONE time in Costa Mesa, CA (wouldn't do it again).

You land wrong from 100' and you could be hating life (or loving death even)!

pope

I know its not about this exactly, but i just want to point out how much it matters about the various height distances. in BASE, we measure delay by TIME......... NOT height. we dont say, I took a 100' delay, or, I pulled 100' in to the fall. we say I took 3 seconds.

so, all that matters for cliff jumping is the speed you hit the water, at what body orientation, what muscel tensions, and of course, water depth.

impact force is a measure of SPEED, not distance fallen. the difference between 80' and 110' is very little, as the differene between 110' and 150' is very little. a few FPS.

just my 2 cents. we learn this doing rope jumping shit. it matters a lot knowing this stuff, and banking on it.

impact force is a measure of SPEED, not distance fallen. the difference between 80' and 110' is very little, as the difference between 110' and 150' is very little. a few FPS.

Edit: Bad calculations deleted -- my bad. You are, of course, correct here, except that the damage done in an impact is proportional to the kinetic energy, not the speed, which is proportional to the height fallen.

kinetic energy is proportional to speed^2 * mass, right? Speed is determined (partially) by height fallen, yes, but air resistance plays a large part of what the impact speed would be from any given height.

That would theoretically make the difference in kinetic energy between 10' and 20' (edit: at least half a metric smidgeon) greater than the difference between 110' and 120'.

edit: fixed :P
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

kinetic energy is proportional to speed * mass, right? Speed is determined (partially) by height fallen, yes, but air resistance plays a large part of what the impact speed would be from any given height.

Speed squared. And the difference due to air resistance over the first 100' would be exactly half a metric smidgen.

kinetic energy is proportional to speed^2 * mass, right? Speed is determined (partially) by height fallen, yes, but air resistance plays a large part of what the impact speed would be from any given height.

That would theoretically make the difference in kinetic energy between 10' and 20' (edit: at least half a metric smidgeon) greater than the difference between 110' and 120'.

edit: fixed :P

OK, so i dont know this math talk shite, so lets keep it simple.

Impact force, is directly proportional to speed. Impact force is INdirectly proportional to distance fallen, as there is a lot of variables to include.

of course, you cant go cliff jumping with the locals and call it a 2.3 second cliff, they would think your weird and not call you back.

All I know is my asscheeks blew waaaaaay far apart from 90'. Do the math on that.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

All I know is my asscheeks blew waaaaaay far apart from 90'. Do the math on that.

.... so how far did they "blow" apart? lol:PB|;)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

learn how to cliff jump. never did anything of the sort, to me:P

I guess that explains why you got through your stint in the joint so easily.

Punktaker.;)