grue

Implications of large canopies in urban or crowded landing areas?

It appears after researching on my own and discussing with several experienced jumpers that my best bet for a canopy is probably going to be 310 sqft ±1 size. Given that a canopy of this size is not lacking in footprint, what are some things to consider when looking at jump locations?

Specifically, does it serve to effectively rule out some kinds of jumps due to the size of the canopy and the implications of, say, going between power lines, light poles, or whatever?
cavete terrae.

If you're loading a 220 at 1.2 then your weight is 264. That means you're loading the 310 at 0.8516. That's pretty high. From what I've read, you would want this canopy for high winds and nice landing areas only.

I've also heard that a lot of canopies aren't what they say they are and the size is more like a model number. Talk to the manufacturer of the canopy you want and tell them your body weight plus armor weight if you're smart enough to use it. They can add the gear weight and make a recomendation depending on the jumps you plan to do.

310 is a lot to stash as well...food 4 thought.
pope

If you're loading a 220 at 1.2 then your weight is 264. That means you're loading the 310 at 0.8516. That's pretty high. From what I've read, you would want this canopy for high winds and nice landing areas only.

I've also heard that a lot of canopies aren't what they say they are and the size is more like a model number. Talk to the manufacturer of the canopy you want and tell them your body weight plus armor weight if you're smart enough to use it. They can add the gear weight and make a recomendation depending on the jumps you plan to do.

In my (admittedly incomplete) research, I haven't even seen a canopy bigger than a 310, is there one? I'd started to figure that a slightly higher wingload was just going to be something I'd have to put up with if I wanted to jump.
cavete terrae.

If you'd looked at some specs you'd have answered your own question and noticed that the biggest BASE canopies are not much wider than the smallest. A 305 Troll has a span of 26 ft, only 6 ft wider than a 185 and only a few feet wider than the more common sizes.

Specifically, does it serve to effectively rule out some kinds of jumps due to the size of the canopy and the implications of, say, going between power lines, light poles, or whatever?

It follows that a 305 will not fit gracefully through any gaps thinner than 26 ft.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

go bigger play it safe. if u are jumping a canopy that big its for a reason
maybe u have low jump numbers or maybe your a big guy
what ever it is don't go 2 small because when it comes down to it the smaller the canopy the faster it goes. which means the less time u have to correct for lamp, posts, wires, cabs ,and other buildings and the smaller the canopy is the harder u will hit something. there are things in in urban settings that u cant control.
or u cant see like rebar on a construction site u just never know
if your going slow u can see shit like that and aviod it

I've only ever had this become an issue once, on a jump where the landing area was an alley that was too narrow to admit a 260 or larger. Honestly, if that becomes an issue, I'd recommend just not doing the jump.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

you're loading the 310 at 0.8516. That's pretty high.

.85 is a totally acceptable wl.

ever made a basejump just reading? no?
dont give advice then.thaks

In my (admittedly incomplete) research, I haven't even seen a canopy bigger than a 310, is there one? I'd started to figure that a slightly higher wingload was just going to be something I'd have to put up with if I wanted to jump.

Do more research. Both Atair and Apex have 322sqft. canopies. Apex even builds a 354 flik, although they are rare. I use a Troll 305(322) MDV loaded at about 0.71:1. From previous discussions we're about the same size. And, yes you need to be aware of the dimensions on larger canopies, especially the span. A 322 is about 4-5 ft. wider than a 260. Something to consider in tight areas.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

In my (admittedly incomplete) research, I haven't even seen a canopy bigger than a 310, is there one?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that the Ace/BJ 310 is bigger than the Troll 305, or smaller than the Dagger 313. Those canopies are all effectively the same size. Pick your canopy for the canopy, then let the square footage number follow along.

The only genuinely "bigger than plus size" BASE canopy on the market is the Flik 354, which is legitimately one size larger than the 310ish sized canopies.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I use a Troll 305(322) MDV loaded at about 0.71:1 .

have you tried to low free fall it? what PC and delays? the canopy is quite heavy. does it take longer to extract?

In my (admittedly incomplete) research, I haven't even seen a canopy bigger than a 310, is there one?

Don't fool yourself into thinking that the Ace/BJ 310 is bigger than the Troll 305, or smaller than the Dagger 313. Those canopies are all effectively the same size. Pick your canopy for the canopy, then let the square footage number follow along.

The only genuinely "bigger than plus size" BASE canopy on the market is the Flik 354, which is legitimately one size larger than the 310ish sized canopies.

by one size larger you it is a tandem reserve.

I use a Troll 305(322) MDV loaded at about 0.71:1 .

have you tried to low free fall it? what PC and delays? the canopy is quite heavy. does it take longer to extract?

Define low. Because of my "size" and experience, I won't free-fall anything under 300'. And yes because of the canopies size/length of lines, it takes longer for it to become "flyable".
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

If I would freefall it with my BJ 280, I would freefall it with my BJ 310. I can't tell that much difference in opening altitude. Same goes for static line jumps. I've taken the 310 from 165 ft with plenty of room to spare.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

And yes because of the canopies size/length of lines, it takes longer for it to become "flyable".

No, I think it is earlier in the deployment sequence - has more to do with the weight of the packed canopy once the container is open.

Extraction time, and time it takes to pressurize both seem to play a role.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

In my very limited experience and analysis, comparing my SD deployment ( Troll MDV305) with that of one or two sizes smaller of Troll MDV's ....the only significant difference is in the time to linestretch from PC pressurisation....and even then its noticable but not something that strikes me as being a 'major' difference.
S/L from 170-180ft in the same canopy size comparison...there was little/no difference in canopy flight time.

Anybody have any Tylenol...........my head hurts. [:/]
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

If you'd looked at some specs you'd have answered your own question and noticed that the biggest BASE canopies are not much wider than the smallest. A 305 Troll has a span of 26 ft, only 6 ft wider than a 185 and only a few feet wider than the more common sizes.

It follows that a 305 will not fit gracefully through any gaps thinner than 26 ft.

Gus

dude that is so obvious it is sad you end up feelin you have to post that to people its like having to tell someone not to touch a flame as it might burn them dude this person should not be talking about urban if they cant work this out

It appears after researching on my own and discussing with several experienced jumpers that my best bet for a canopy is probably going to be 310 sqft ±1 size. Given that a canopy of this size is not lacking in footprint, what are some things to consider when looking at jump locations?

Why are you thinking about the implications of urban warfare before you even get out and do As? Get something that suits you and forget about whether you can land it between lamp posts or power lines down a street off a B.... think about your jumps leading up to those sort of jumps, and what suits that sort of enviornment....

dude that is so obvious it is sad you end up feelin you have to post that to people its like having to tell someone not to touch a flame as it might burn them dude this person should not be talking about urban if they cant work this out

man, it is sad you end up feelin you have to post about that post, its like having to tell someone not to touch a flame as it might burn them dude this person should not be talking about posting about urban if they cant work this out.

A 280 will be cool. get it over with.