TomAiello

Free BASE Training: Spring Deathcamp, May 19-25, 2007

The name struck me a little odd so out of simple curiosity, I asked. It was dubbed Death Camp by previous students.

It's just a name. The course is free and as far as I can tell, it appears to be a pretty good course so you really can't beat it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I was around the bridge a lot when that name seemed to really take as the name of the free courses. From what I remember, someone independently came up with the idea to make Tshirts one year that said "death camp" on them. After that, I never really heard it called anythign else.

From the parts I've seen of this course compared to the parts I've seen of other courses (mainly apex, but also a few private ones) I'd would say that Tom's appear to be way more comprehensive, and more useful for a jumper when they are finally on their own. Then again, I have never sat through an entire real FJC, but those have been my impressions.

I have seen the same thing of jumpers trying unpacked jumps very soon after finishing courses. I honestly don't think that teaching techniques for unpacked jumps in a FJC is a bad idea, particularly in this course where applicants seemingly screened to be people that take advice but think for themselves (this is assumed by me from the criteria in the application itself).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

Hey Sully!

Everthing is fine, winter time so not that much jumping. Still like an A with ice ... but not so often :)

Game over is a nice name for it, sounds like the best thing is to either just watch someone do it :) or just do it once ;)

Me personally will never even consider it :)

Stay alive bro

PerFlare

Dude,

Well "deathcamp" has been around longer the base instruction with out previous skydiving experience. I hear about is most from guys serving in the military with the special forces, and then of course we have the real deathcamps …

Just like to clear that up for you ;)

Anyway, base/skydiving have always liked the scull, bones and flames thing so deathcamp is a cool name :)

About the course, I have for a couple of years thinking about applying for it. Maybe I get the time next year. I’m looking forward to attend that’s if I get accepted.

See you around the world

PerFlare

Picture of first official Death Camp Participants...

I think it was Toms 3 free FJC but it was the first one named death camp.

By the way, the only accident that happened was when someone fell out of a tree using the pendulater. He was the one who rigged it up, that’s why he was allowed to test it first... :)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

About the course, I have for a couple of years thinking about applying for it. Maybe I get the time next year. I’m looking forward to attend that’s if I get accepted.

PerFlare

Don't worry, Tom will accept you, he likes to have at least one famous guy in his course. We had the honor to jump with the famous Kate Cooper in our course...

And with this post I have to admit, I'm a geek... This is my 600 post... :$:(
Shit, I have more posts then skydives, that is embarrassing...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

haha, remember kate trying to recruit tourists at the visitors center to deathcamp...what could possibly go wrong?

good times.

while im sure the course is great, the name is just trying to be cool

You might be right about that.

The nature of my post, after re-reading it sounded more serious than I intended. I know the deathcamp name is taken, I was just being argumentative.

argumentative?! dude, get off dropzone.com, seriously. anything argumentative or sarcastic here is looked down upon.

I am just a student now, but I plan on having over 150 skydives by the time your Labor Day weekend Death Camp (and there is nothing more I would rather do) . Is there a minimum amount of skydives that you require your students to have in order to be accepted? Please don't black ball me :(
Swoop and Poop....my favorite things to photograph

Is there a minimum amount of skydives that you require your students to have in order to be accepted?

No. There is no set minimum. I'll evaluate all the applications against each other competitively, so more skydives are to your advantage, but so are other experiences.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Lol ... funtimes ...

And cool t-shirts?

I think we should get eric one with "what could possibly go wrong" or I survived the pendulator !!! :P

And with this post I have to admit, I'm a geek... This is my 600 post... :$:(
Shit, I have more posts then skydives, that is embarrassing...

whatever, im just trying to catch up with tom in post quantity.