BrianSGermain

Press Release: The New Lotus MAX is done!

Lotus MAX

The product of two years in research and development, the Lotus MAX is the finishing touch that makes an already great parachute better. Semi-elliptical in planform, the L-Max is appropriate for jumpers looking for their first canopy, or experienced pilots looking for incredibly soft, on heading openings. With its totally revised line-set, the Lotus Max produces more lift that any canopy of its kind.

Using advanced Eagle Trim TM technology, the front view of the new Lotus is clearly flatter than other parachutes. This increases the glide ratio of the canopy, as well as making the flare the most powerful in the industry. By flattening the wing, we have reduced the “tilt” of the lift vector at the wingtips, maximizing the parachute’s actualized lift. There is no way to achieve a more impressive slow flight characteristic; hence the name: MAX.

Airspeed is lift. The faster a parachute is flying, the easier it is to convert airspeed into lift. With our all-new Kicker-Tail TM trim, the canopy flies faster than before without significantly effecting the glide ratio. This creates a much more powerful flare, without requiring the pilot to perform a dangerous hook turn.

Combined with the safety of our Patented Germain Airlock System TM , the Lotus MAX is the best all-around parachute ever devised. The L-Max is built in the greatest parachute factory the world has ever known, Performance Designs in Deland, Florida. The Lotus is manufactured to the highest standards in the industry, with the same construction technology as PD’s most modern canopies.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Couple questions:

1) Is this the only flavor the Lotus will come in now?

2) How significant are the changes from the original to this Max version?

3) Is this differnt than the Eagle trim you have used on the current Lotus?

This is the only version of the Lotus that will be available from this point forward. It is so much better, I see no reason to do anything else.

The canopy is exactly the same as the Lotus, with a totally revised lineset and new graffix. This means that existing Lotus Pilots can upgrade their canopy to the MAX by relining it.

The original Lotus had no Eagle trim on it whatsoever. The trim ratios are noticibly different, which makes the canopy fly somewhat faster, giving it a more rigid feeling, while providing even better landings. I really like fling this one. If you load it 1.6 or higher, it swoops incredibly far. If you loa it lightly, it a forgiving and docile. I am really proud of this one.

Hi Brian,

Are those revised trims going to be in the on-line user manual soon, or maybe in the lineset assembly directions?

Do you have any specification for allowed tolerance of trim as the lines shrink? For example, how much shorter can the outer cell lines be, relative to the inners, as time goes on?

The new specs will be updated in the owner's manual on the website. That is one of the things I've got on my list for the next week.

As for the shrinkage tolerance, I still recommend relining the canopy when the difference between the outside and inside "A" is more than 75mm, or the brakes are 75 mm longer than the "B"; whichever comes first. We have tested the canopies beyond 1000 jumps on the same lineset with no dangerous effects.

Regardless of the trim, canopies should still be relined around 700 jumps or so just to be safe.

Nope. Just pack it like you love it.

Leave the nose open, clean the inside and the stabs, quarter the slider and roll the tail from the top down.

The openings feel great, and are rather forgiving of asymetrical body position. It is also quite forgiving of pack-job.

It usually opens in 600-700 feet, but the forces on the body are really low. You don't have to snivel for 1000 feet to have a "soft" opening. Once you have reached "snivel terminal", you won't go any slower so the slider may as well start working its way down. Long snivels just waste precious canopy time, and some of us feel that pulltime is just the beginning!

You know....with specs like that, I could really be convinced to try one out before buying a Crossfire2, just because I want something swoopy but also something I won't have to stress over on BM jumps.

I saw the $1999 price on the BigAir site, please tell me that's MSRP and that the street price is different.:|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

You are correct. Nobody ever pays retail. Typically, 15% off is attainable from any dealer. If you email me directly, we can hook you up with someone in your area.

My direct email is: [email protected]

Brian

As for the shrinkage tolerance, I still recommend relining the canopy when the difference between the outside and inside "A" is more than 75mm, or the brakes are 75 mm longer than the "B"; whichever comes first. We have tested the canopies beyond 1000 jumps on the same lineset with no dangerous effects.

Regardless of the trim, canopies should still be relined around 700 jumps or so just to be safe.

Brian,

Are you going to update the Sam's line set now? Or is there no need with the way it is now. Also what is the time you suggest on the lower control line replacement for the vectran on the Sam's line sets? Just curious......

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

With our all-new Kicker-Tail TM trim, the canopy flies faster than before without significantly effecting the glide ratio. This creates a much more powerful flare, without requiring the pilot to perform a dangerous hook turn.

I have been under the impression that the speed building manuever was to lengthen the distance of the "surf" and that the flare comes at about the same airspeed on a given canopy regardless of the length of the surf or speed at which the canopy enters the landing approach.

Wouldn't high lift at low airspeeds and a high critical AOA be the factors that create/allow for a more powerful flare, unless you are flaring at high speed? I'm thinking that a flare at high speed would just cause you to pop up.

Just curious. Still love my old Jedei, I think it is like being an old Deadhead.
alan

Max is definitely a sweet dog, but the name was cool before I realized the parallel. Acutally my cousin Dave named the canopy, and he hasn't been to Lebanon yet.

This is in reponse to the question regarding "Flare Power".

There are many ways in which we judge the quality and power of a flare. In this case, I am refering to the way in which the canopy "pitches", or rocks on the pitch axis in order to increase the angle of attack. The Lotus Max converts airspeed into lift very efficiently and quickly.

The reasons for the differing characteristics of "pitching" are complicated and dependant on many variables. By altering the trim at the aft portion of the canopy, this particular design demostrated a significantly improved quality andmagnitide of effect in this parameter. The slow-flight characteristics are improved by the eagle trim, the shape of the airfoil, and the trim fm A-B; assuming a constant aspect ratio.

Bri

No, the Lotus Max has about the same toggle pressure as the original design. I was concerned about that at first as well, but testing left me pleasantly surprised.

Bri

Nope, I like the Sam the way it is, and until I hear the pilots asking for a change, I will leave the canopy in its current form.

I got a bad wrap in my early days as a designer, changing things too often. This is why I now try to test the hell out of things and then leave them alone. The demo will be exactly like the product now. Actually, I haven't made any changes to the line in several years.

As for the brake lines, it depends on how they look. You should never go beyond 700 jumps just to be sure. Ince we've tested them beyond 1000 jumps, that number is still conservative.

Vectran will vary in its longevity based on how hard the canopy opens, the cleanliness of the lines, and a mystery factor that remains unisolated.

If they look nasty, replace them.

Brian

The slow-flight characteristics are improved by the eagle trim, the shape of the airfoil, and the trim fm A-B; assuming a constant aspect ratio.

Brian,

what effect does aspect ratio have on a canopy. I am fairly familiar with what it does on kites so i am just assuming that high AR is high performance and low AR is more docile (roughly speaking) I'm also a little curious about the comment about "assuming a constant AR" Isn't AR constant for any given canopy or do you see it as increasing during the flare?

Sorry if these are dumb questions - it just got me thinking...:S
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Aspect ratio has many effects. The situation is farily complex, making it farily difficult to predict the potcome without controlling the variables. Generalizing the effects, therefore, is a dangerous game.
Regardless, there are some things we can say about aspect ratio. First,m a definition:

"Aspect ratio is the Span of the wing (measured wing-tip to wing-tip), divided by the Chord (average measurement from nose to tail). The aspect ratio has a significant impact on the performance of a parachute. All other variables being equal, the higher the aspect ratio, the better the glide ratio. Likewise, lower aspect ratio canopies generally have a shorter turn radius than wider wings. This does not necessarily mean that the canopy will turn slower, only that the flight path will be a wider arc though the sky."

--The Parachute and its Pilot
Brian Germain

Way to go!Brian,I have some serious questions for you!As you know I am approaching my 48th Birthday in May.I have been giving "Very Serious" thought of retiring the first "Jedei Sweptwing" 95-97!.I think it's time to sell it and up size!I certainly "Do Not" think I should be jumping this little rocket ship in my 50's Any thoughts?

I think a lighter wing-loading in a Samurai is probably the best way to go for you. You have become accustomed to the way an eliptical flies, so all you really need is a bit more fabric. A 105 or 120 should be fun and practical for you.

We'd love to build you one.

CYA,
Brian

Brian,

Can you get one of those things upsized to 270 sf? I am an anvil with no desire to downsize but would like a little more perfromance for high-altitude canopy manuevers and though a semi-ellipitcal might be ideal.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I have the Lotus 190 Demo canopy right now and was a TAD concerned jumping it at 1.45 to 1
( yes I am a fat butt.. get over it:$) I had initially jumped the Lotus at the Byron Boogie last Sept with about 150 jumps back into the sport after a very long layoff.

I was jumping my Triathalon 260 all winter until I blew it up in Mesquite a couple weeks ago . I have a Conquest 230 that I jumped until the Lotus arrived.. its a 9 cell older design square that flies ok but it was not my favorite. I have a bout 65 jumps this year and about 300 since coming back into the sport last March... so I am fairly current.

The Lotus 190 is not too bad to land at all. I stood up all 4 of the jumps on sunday. It flies REALLLLLY well at that wing loading. It is zippy turns fast.. riser turns are crisp and I am loving it.

I am waiting for my Samurai 190 and can't wait to fly it. Oh and thanks for the books Brian. I got them today and will be reading them this week before heading out to the DZ this weekend...woo hoo

By the way BlindBrick.. I am old and decrepit.. so I can't run as fast as I once could.. but I did not have ANY problem at all surfing the landing out and setting it down right where I wanted with a good staged flare.