iiro

City of New York vs Jeb Corliss....

OJ Simpson is the greatest illuminator of the obvious with our legal system. Enough money and anything is solved!

Congrats Jeb!!!
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

any more details ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

any more details ?

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--empirestatestunt0117jan17,0,5978960.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

Charges against would-be Empire State Bldg. parachuter dropped
By SAMUEL MAULL
Associated Press Writer

January 17, 2007, 3:13 PM EST
NEW YORK -- A judge Wednesday dismissed a charge against a California man arrested last year while trying to parachute from the Empire State Building's 86th floor observation deck.

State Supreme Court Justice Michael Ambrecht dismissed the indictment against Jebb Corliss, saying his actions on April 27, 2006, did not rise to the level of first-degree reckless endangerment, the crime Corliss was charged with.

That crime requires that a person act when he is aware, but consciously disregards, that his conduct creates a grave risk of death to another person, Ambrecht explained in an eight-page decision.

The prosecution had argued that pedestrians and motorists on the streets below and civilians and security guards on the observation deck were potentially at risk because of Corliss' intended conduct.

"While certainly injury to any of these individuals was a possibility, the evidence failed to establish a grave risk of death to anyone," the judge wrote.

Corliss, 30, of Malibu, Calif., calls himself a professional BASE (bridge, antenna, span, earth) jumper who has made more than 1,000 jumps from bridges, buildings and cliffs in 16 countries in the past eight years. He has said he also likes to swim with sharks for fun and adventure.

He says he has jumped from the Eiffel Tower in France and from the Petronas Towers in Malaysia, reportedly the tallest man-made structures in the world.

A former television show host, Corliss entered the 102-story landmark disguised in a mask and a fat suit, which he removed and revealed a parachute beneath. He put on a helmet with a camera on top so he could document his jump.

Corliss was caught, held and handcuffed to the security fence on the 86th floor by security guards as he climbed over it. The guards cut his parachute off after he said his arms would be torn from his body if his parachute opened.

Corliss' lawyer, Mark Jay Heller, said as he and his client left court that Ambrecht's decision was "a resounding victory." He said the judge noted that Corliss planned carefully and took many safety precautions to minimize the risk of injury to anyone.

Before his arrest, Corliss was host of the Discovery Channel show "Stunt Junkies." The network dropped him after his arrest, saying it was disappointed "at his serious lack of judgment and his reckless behavior."

Corliss did not speak as he left court Wednesday.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

After reading this I went to their myspace page to congradulate Jeb and saw a cool video of Iiro's. Base concepts or something like that.

http://www.myspace.com/threetripleseven

There are three videos on the left side. The one in the center is the one I'm talking about.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

... Corliss, 30, of Malibu, Calif., calls himself a professional BASE (bridge, antenna, span, earth) jumper who has made more than 1,000 jumps from bridges, buildings and cliffs in 16 countries in the past eight years. He has said he also likes to swim with sharks for fun and adventure. ...

I like how they throw in the part regarding swimming with sharks.

... A former television show host, Corliss entered the 102-story landmark disguised in a mask and a fat suit, which he removed and revealed a parachute beneath. He put on a helmet with a camera on top so he could document his jump. ...

Are there any pictures of Jeb Corliss in the mask and fat suit?

... Before his arrest, Corliss was host of the Discovery Channel show "Stunt Junkies." The network dropped him after his arrest, saying it was disappointed "at his serious lack of judgment and his reckless behavior. ..."

Why didn't he do this as a stunt for "Stunt Junkies"?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

AFAIK The show denied that it had anything to do with them.
-Fish

Blue skies, Soft landings

Maybe he didn't want to work for them anymore and this was his possible way out?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Maybe he didn't want to work for them anymore and this was his possible way out?

not true at all. although i've only talked to JEB 5or 6 times i can't say i know him. but i do know people who have known him since he started BASE jumping and pretty much know what happened. and that's not the case. no conspiracy!

he hired outside help via helicopter crew to fiLm him from a distance. and a do-gooder from the helicopter firm ratted him out!!!
i'm sure JEB knew what could happen to him if he where caught in NYC on ESB. and from what i heard he was really upset about the whole getting caught thing.

hey JEB you've always been cool to me everytime i ran into on the plane telling me stories about some of your close ones, early wingsuit BASE stuff etc, and basically telling me (without preaching) be careful don't do that. and if you do this don't do what i did etc.

most people with your jump numbers tend to look down on a new guy. not you man. I'M glad YOU won!!! and i hope one day you do it (ESB)! cuz if you don't maybe I will!:S

AND AGAIN NO CONSPIRACY X FILE STUFF!!!:)
later

It's always nice when JUSTICE prevails.......
~J:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Are there any pictures of Jeb Corliss in the mask and fat suit?

I recall seeing some stills taken from a security camera at the time. They were probably on a news site, but I didn't recall where.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

So when's the counter suit for the distruction of his gear?:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Congratulations Jeb!

what a day for BASE in this day and age!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Nice one Jeb,

This is indeed a huge step in the evolution of BASE jumping, hopefully a turning point.

My sincere congratulations - my hat is off to you. Way to go!!!!
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

He predicted that the State Legislature would be forced to close this apparent legal loophole and pass a law against jumping off tall buildings and bridges.

Bad bad bad...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Now that this judge has set precedence what are the chances that this ruling can be applied to the NPS cases?

PS. Congrats Jeb
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

He predicted that the State Legislature would be forced to close this apparent legal loophole and pass a law against jumping off tall buildings and bridges.

Bad bad bad...

Yes, BASE will now be officially outlawed in NYC, and hundreds of other cities - small and large - will follow suit...because nobody gives a damn what Denver and San Antonio do :(
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Now that this judge has set precedence what are the chances that this ruling can be applied to the NPS cases?

Zero. Totally different jurisdictions, governing statutes and precedents.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

that's what we like to hear!

Congrats, Jeb!
cavete terrae.

Jeb,

Congrats on the VICTORY!!!! Way to go!!! It'll bring BASE a whole new outlook!!! Glad it all worked out okay!!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Congrats Jeb!

It's quite comical to see the media get their feathers ruffled over this. I've been getting phone calls and emails from "worried" media people who think that BASE jumping happens all the time in NYC and now we're going to come by the masses to jump there.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Well done to Mr Corliss for getting off
.....but what are the wider consequences of this..?
Is this a case of the Law saying:
"..thanks for the heads up guys...we will make sure some specific anti BASE jumping law in place for the next time someone gets pinched doing this..."

How easy would it be in the US to make specific legislation against BASE jumping on a non legal site ( the actual act of BASE jumping ...not the entry) ?

Probably only take a major country to do it for alot of others to follow on with something similar...