iiro

City of New York vs Jeb Corliss....

This could be good or bad... or both. Hopefully no legislation follows this case to shut the door on any future jumps/jumpers.
Perhaps we could use the publicity to push for a legal event from a B in the city since for the time being it's not "illegal?"
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Unfortunately, the media is bashing the judge when they should be looking at the prosecutor/DA. They charged Jeb with 1st degree reckless endangerment, which means he knowingly put people's lives in danger. Obviously, Jeb wasn't endangering anyone and the judge understood this. Perhaps if the DA wasn't so aggressive and they charged him with a lesser crime, Jeb would have been guilty.

After reading many of the 100+ articles in Google news, I was stunned to see so many negative viewpoints. The media found pleasure in calling Jeb names and bashing the judge.

We've still got a long way to go if BASE jumpers ever want to be "accepted" as anything other than suicidal rejects.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

well Daren I must say im impressed

there are laws in some areas that are in place
such as Atlantic city NJ USA has a 25,000 dollar fine for BASE jumping
how ever we just cant stop jumping because were afraid that the MAN will change the laws.

maybe we just shouldn't day blaze in NYC
but i can tell this it makes for great video
I live here and jump here and I haven't noticed anything

"the people" are lemmings. when one person makes a point to bash someone like this judge, many are quick to follow suit. there could be some new laws, but for the most part i doubt it will happen unless more people are caught there in a high profile. stereotypes and generalizations are what could make or break us.

remember when bikers were all hell's angels and bad men. now they're everyone including dentists and bakers.

maybe if people understand it's legitimacy by seeing average to outstanding people of society involved... it could help skew a general opinion.

although, there are a lot of us out there that are just law-breaking junkies.:P

just a ramble.

the old double edged sword. if this was felix how many "way to go felix!" posts would there be?

i think this blows on many levels. i dont care who the jumper was or how infrequently the object in question is jumped...

He predicted that the State Legislature would be forced to close this apparent legal loophole and pass a law against jumping off tall buildings and bridges.

“I mean, it’s shocking,” Mr. Heller said. “I would assume that somebody is now going to go to the Legislature and say, ‘Hey, we have a little hole in our book here; we’ve got to plug it up.’ ”

so basically, bandit base is brought into the forefront, media spotlight in nyc for a bit.

make them look like fools and there will be repurcusisons.

glory hounds die whorey old dogs.

I got busted for a building strike a few years ago and the charge was reckless endangerment as well. I was found not guilty also. At the time, it was argued in court that there is no specific law against BASE jumping in Colorado, and here 5 years later there still isn't. I don't think Jebs case is going to change the law books in NYC. They caught him, and even though he was found innocent, I think they made thier point. Case closed.
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

yah I agree i fnd most BASE jumpers to be paraniod
they don't realizethat most people dont even know what base is

well Daren I must say im impressed

there are laws in some areas that are in place
such as Atlantic city NJ USA has a 25,000 dollar fine for BASE jumping
how ever we just cant stop jumping because were afraid that the MAN will change the laws.

What if there was a legal event organized in Atlantic City, NJ? Would one get charged with the terribly "criminal act of BASE Jumping"... lol
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Congrats Jeb
I'm disabled and wont be able to do any more base jumps . I did 7 prior to my swooping mishap and even opened a free standing 430' the night befors my accident. My ? is since the charges were dismissed then discovery should give back your job in my experience since what the judge is saying is you didnt commit the crime then you shouldn't be continued with the punishment of loosing that sweet job you had.Hell I think NYC should be liable in getting you fired for over reacting and making this a media specticle. Sounds like the same kinda of prosecutorial errors like mike nifong in the duke case. You rock dude so please flick one for me. May god always fill your cells brother stay safe

respectfully yours
dave phillips

loosing that sweet job you had

Have you ever worked for Discovery? His contract might have sucked otherwise he might be fighting for his job back... Hell he might be happy he got out of that job...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

amen.... couldn't agree w/ avenfoto more.

thanks a whole shitheap jeb. if there's a base ordinance instilled in nyc.... maybe your parents could pay my fines too next time i'm busted.

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
Hunter S. Thompson

Hey Guys, I've been BASE jumping since New Years 1982. I was also the first Base Jumping Attorney that people use to call at 2:00 AM. I was the first lawyer to beat "Powerless Flight" by the NPS when Smity and I did the train jumps in 1983. I love to get along with the authorities and get legal permits, but we're talking about Buildings. Permits aren't very likely UNLESS people accept that it's not a crime and that is what the Jeb verdict said. What Jeb did in Court was good for this sport. The Court recognized it was not all that dangerous in a way. The Judge said that carefully planned BASE jumjps are not Reckless Endangerment, it only helps. Some fear new laws against jumping, but remember, a Court has already said that the seriousness of reckless endangerment was too serious. Believe me, most States charge "Criminal Tresspass". If it's a construction area, (new building), it can be a felony. Any rulings like the Court in Jeb's case can only help the rest of us since any laws passed will likely be lesser fines due to the ruling. Congratulations Jeb. Let's all use this to try to attract festival legal jumps. Use Kuala Lampur as an example. BASE jumps draw crowds and are safe when planned and legal. This is a great Court Ruling and don't cow down to the fact they may make more serious laws. I don't think they really can since the public would love to watch us. Use the Chambers of Commerce. This may result in easier laws and more legal demo jumps.
Rick Harrison
BASE 38
[email protected]
Rick Harrison

If it's a construction area, (new building), it can be a felony.

I'm not a lawyer, nor familiar with some designations for illegal acts, so pardon me for asking; are you implying that trespassing into a construction area is potentially more serious than trespassing into areas of an otherwise public building?

I've stuck mostly to construction sites (cranes and buildings) thinking that it would be easier to get away with than if I were to jump, say, a office building that is in use.

I am in construction and entering any counstruction site "even if you are building a deck at your house" it is a felony. So be careful..............

Cya
Pauly

Nice post...i didnt look at it fom that angle
Thanks

Yes, each State has their own laws, but if it is a construction site, trespasing can be a felony like it is in Florida and quite a few others. Tresspassing in an open building is usually a class B misdemeanor meaning you can get a fine between about $500 to $1000 or up to 6 months which they never give, but it all depends on State law. Good thing about buildings under construction is they are usually easier to access to get to the top.
Cliffleaper
Rick Harrison

The law in Florida originated from theft problems on construction sites. Also, construction sites need to be heavily controlled since little changes can endanger the workers. Like a thief taking scaffolding at a critical part of the structure.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174