ast4711

B.A.S.E. without Skydiving experience?

I believe the harness is reclined for comfort (PG flights can last hours). So your sitting not hanging. Most modern harnesses have a butt pad to help reduce compression fractures. It would be hard to PLF even under a BASE canopy if you stall the canopy close to the deck. Wouldn't it? I've seen people bury the breaks swing out in front and the canopy stalls, the person it belly up parallel to the deck with not enough time/distance to recover. I don't think a different harness position would change that much. Then again I'm not familiar with the video you mention.

"HIGAF" Honestly I Give A F*^%

learning how to skydive is a godd idea. altho it is not nescary to learn to jump . I would not change how or what i did, but there are some dissadvantages to not learning how to skydive first. it would pose no problem if you jumped ideal subterminal with open landing areas like some pt's and the perrine the entire time, but if you want to jump biger terminal cliffs with more technical landings (I am not saying it is impossiable) but it is much safer,easier,and all around smarter to learn to skydive.

everyone who askes me about learning to BASE jump I tell them the same thing most of you do... learn to skydive first. most people are kinda dissapointed because i was the 16 yr old who learned with no skydives. they were expecting me to say that they should go for it and then offer my services.

Speeking of paraglider pilots, does anyone know if any PG's fly without the chair thing. Just a regular parachute harness? I'm guessing the main reason for the chair is lower wind resistance and so you don't get tired of holding your legs up, but I saw a guy stall his wing on a TV show the other day and it appeared that him being in that sitting position is what lead to his broken back. It was a 15ish foot fall and it seems like it wouldn't have been that bad if he could have plf'd.

i have flown with BASE harness. it works, but it is for comfort, and wind resistance. and back protection. and other reasons i cant think of.

its harder to fly a PG with weight shift (how they are flown) in a stand harness. so, its just not that fun.

I have flown a wing with my BASE harness, but the risers connected to the hip rings. its really weird, but you can weight shift stear.

the sitting position makes it so the pilot can impact with his but OR his legs, you can be standing in your harness.

the plf is good thing, but does not save everything, i mean, my flying partner said that i PLFd on impact. maybe it helped. i dont remember:S

Wow....
I`m still waiting to have somebody like you as passenger :-)

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

...another group of people that transition well to flying BASE canopies (that have no skydiving experience). Those being PG pilots.

That maybe so, but "pure" (i.e. no skydiving experinece) PG and hang glider pilots will not have any body awareness, so beyond S/L and PCA, much still needs to be learnt. You can't take a PG pilot with a couple of PCAs and no skydiving experience to a terminal cliff, for example.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

...another group of people that transition well to flying BASE canopies (that have no skydiving experience). Those being PG pilots.

That maybe so, but "pure" (i.e. no skydiving experinece) PG and hang glider pilots will not have any body awareness, so beyond S/L and PCA, much still needs to be learnt. You can't take a PG pilot with a couple of PCAs and no skydiving experience to a terminal cliff, for example.

well, you could. its been done a few times. I have seen video. it looks ugly. really ugly. terminal handheld is scary looking.

Wow....
I`m still waiting to have somebody like you as passenger :-)

You might be waiting a long time. I don't think there are too many people like that out there. Just a hunch.
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

You can't take a PG pilot with a couple of PCAs and no skydiving experience to a terminal cliff, for example.

From what I have seen from Clairs site, she has done some terminal cliffs and from it she seems have done quite well in exit and landing (although one shot, I dont know if its her or not seems very dodgy on exit and choice of jump)..... although I am really against her entrance to the sport... the above seems to be proved wrong by Clairs example?

Just making a point here........... even if I think that Clairs entrance to the sport makes me sick.....It does not make me as sick as your recent condescending views that you seem to have recently taken on board with your new found personality of a BASE jumper...

Remember where you came from!

[:/]

I went to Norway last year and did a bunch of jumps, I did learned how to skydive before that. I also had a few 1600ft antenna jumps.

I learned to jump fom watching Radixs thenI bought a packing video and a rig off DZ classifeids
it was cheap easy and im not dead yet. i never even took a FJC

Well congrats... You owe Jimmy $1000.00 for saving you $1000.00 on a first jump course. he wants it in $20's

thanks

I agree that a terminal cliff would be poor choice for those people. However it doesn't pay to be a skydiver until you reach terminal. You don't get allot of dead air exits in skydiving (unless you jump allot of balloons). Such a person could go their whole base jumping careers and never do a terminal anything. After enough well excuted PCAs, they might go handheld and work there way to longer delays. Is that not what skydivers do?
Hey why bother skydiving (you could get hurt before you actually BASE jump) just go to the tunnel. That would takecare of the body awareness stuff.
Now just sit back and wait for a flood of paragliding tunnel rats!:P

I agree that a terminal cliff would be poor choice for those people. However it doesn't pay to be a skydiver until you reach terminal. You don't get allot of dead air exits in skydiving (unless you jump allot of balloons). Such a person could go their whole base jumping careers and never do a terminal anything. After enough well excuted PCAs, they might go handheld and work there way to longer delays. Is that not what skydivers do?
Hey why bother skydiving (you could get hurt before you actually BASE jump) just go to the tunnel. That would takecare of the body awareness stuff.
Now just sit back and wait for a flood of paragliding tunnel rats!:P

[perks ears up to say something]
Awww forget it. that horse is beaten, dead, rendered and sold to burger king.

However it doesn't pay to be a skydiver until you reach terminal.

Terminal air skills are not the only thing you learn while skydiving that you do not learn from paragliding.

For example, how many times have you experienced a parachute opening while paragliding? Understanding (and more, feeling on an instinctual level) your opening is a survival skill in BASE, and one that is "practiced" by the much slower openings in skydiving. Paragliding doesn't give any applicable experience.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'll say it for you pope.

laird, your philosphies on skill development (and the relevance and usefulness of transferable skills in other parachuting related activities) shows a total lack of understanding of the sport you are commenting on.

I would not recommend skydiving for you. ;)

edit to remove personal attacks ~TA
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I agree that paragliding does nothing to prepare you for opening shock. I also agree that "understanding your opening is a survival skill in BASE". That skill can be acquired on none terminal jumps were heading performance is not a big safety factor (TF for example).
I don't mean to belittle skydivers who learned to BASE jump (thats the route I took). Nor detract from the serious risk of jumping. What Im trying to say is that there are others who adapt just as well to BASE that are not skydivers. Never said its the route option I would take or recommend, simply stating that it is done. Im sure it will continue.
Im sorry pope and TVPB if this somehow makes you feel a little less special (rest assured you are special). You might want to consider that sometimes your experience is only useful to you, and that your way is not the only way.

BASE is all about luck

some time one get's delt a good hand

and sometime's you get a crapy one

it's all luck, skill has nothing to do with it

so there's no reason to learn to skydive first

BASE is all about luck

some time one get's delt a good hand

and sometime's you get a crapy one

it's all luck, skill has nothing to do with it

so there's no reason to learn to skydive first

if i didnt know the poster, i would worry. and you would say that wouldnt you?:P

Oh wait...thats a personal attack. Sorry, I apologize and I take that back.:$

Not quit as subtle but it worked for you, lets see if Tom bans me or both of us. It'll probably be just me since I'm sure he might know you and might share your point of view.

I would not recommend skydiving for you.

Is that what you meant pope?

Pope is a big boy let him speak for himself.

Not quit as subtle but it worked for you, lets see if Tom bans me or both of us. It'll probably be just me since I'm sure he might know you and might share your point of view.

No worries, no offense taken. Your constructive feedback has been taken on board. I really appreciate it. :)

Im sorry pope and TVPB if this somehow makes you feel a little less special (rest assured you are special).

My mummy yells me I am special. So you don't have to worry too much about my feelings. Thanks for considering them anyway. ;)

You might want to consider that sometimes your experience is only useful to you, and that your way is not the only way.

All experience is good experience. What you do and learn, can help me, and other people. Good and bad.

r.e. "your way / my way" - Exactly. I personally think that skydiving is useful, as is paragliding, rock climbing, rope swinging, etc.
By no means is my way the best / most ideal.

Yes. People have BASEd without skydiving. We all know that. Use the search function on this website and you will find lots of previous discussions on this. Can it be done safely? There are a million variables that you need to consider - making one blanket statement that one way or the other is acceptable is not ideal without considering a lot of factors in isolation and together. Each circumstance is different.

But when it comes to a general recommendation, Skydiving IS beneficial for a prospective BASE jumper.

You mentioned wind tunnels. They provide great value for money for freefall skydivers.

Hey why bother skydiving

You're right. Why bother doing any training? Just grab a wingsuit and camera, find yourself a major underhang, take 10 colleagues with similar experience, throw some aerials, have a good time.....

Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

That last statement was kick ass! I would pay to see video of that party....
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

I bet it would look something like this...

...or this...

...or this...
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

Tom, Jason,

You are actually having a fairly useful discussion. Let's avoid side tracking it into random, useless personal attacks.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com