ast4711

B.A.S.E. without Skydiving experience?

heard the menotr beating the no low turn thing into their head pre jump

And what does that mean for someone without any canopy experience?

3 inches of riser input, 5 of toggle, straight up / down with toggles quickly, slowly up / down with toggles, etc.

What if the student tries a minor input to avoid a particluar landing and gets insufficient response, and then overamps . . . . ending up with . . . . a low turn.

What if? ? ? ?

I forgot to mention, one would have to know their deathcampees, and make sure that they WONT freak out and turn low. you cant be sure that a moron AFF student wont toggle whip their navigator 260 at the last second because there is some other moron student walking through it in his way. (um, guys, it pretty much the same parachute, only difference is the radio. and i hear that the radio is on some deathcampers as well) a few and I have said before, training someone is 50-70% who they are, they rest is muscle and executive memory.

Ya, and I'm a 'Radical' Dude with a radical attitude with a radical hair style that is living and radical life style. Is being Radical better or worse than being 'Extreme ?
I think the Radical low altitude turns in BASE that leroydb id talking about a learned technique in,Controlled Flat Turn using deep brakes.
Radical turns in skydive and BASE are not that Radical when done right. They might Look Radical but if they are taught and practiced in a correct and controlled manner. The turns are GTG and proper canopy skill.
Skydiving and BASE both do share/have. the 'Radical' toggle Stab. The 'Radical' stall and pound-in. the 'Radical' rear-riser ass-skid. and last but not least. the 'Radical' 180 low-hook turn. Sharing the same ill-prepared canopy techniques in two different canopy environments and disciplines.
The way I hear it is. 'Radical', Skydivers and BASE jumpers Ass's will occupy and fit into the same hospital bed and wheel chair.

i had like 56 skydives.... i think the magical number needed is 55 . SO I SENT IT !!!!

46:)

one of our easterpigs had 43 when he did his 1st base at NRGB BD97...he was also the youngest jumper that year...18

I didn't say they WON'T kill themselves making low turns, I said most likely. I've seen some jumpers (skydivers) with 1000s of jumps and have no canopy skills and/or have killed themselves doing low turns and did know better.

I've also seen several "static line base students" that had better skills than those skydivers with 1000s of jumps. More heads up, as well. Can land in someone's backyard, sure.

No you haven't. Let's be honest here...A static line BASE jump doesn't really take any skill at all. I'd say a bag of dog food proved that pretty well. You can't possibly think that someone who has successfully deployed, flown, and landed a (any) canopy of any size 1000 times will be less prepared than someone with ZERO time under a canopy to make a S/L (or any other) BASE jump.

One advantage I've seen the "base static line students" have, is they are by no means altimeter reliant, they use their eyes and judgment all the way. I've seen skydivers "forget" their altimeters on the ground and ride the plane down because they freaked out because they didn't have an altimeter. I've also been someone in the plane that's given up mine so they didn't ride the plane down.

I don't get it. What sport are you talking about here? Altimeters have no place in BASE jumping. BASE JUMPING IS A DIFFERENT SPORT THAN SKYDIVING! Anyone who DOESN'T use all their senses to navigate themselves safely through the landing EVERY time should be bowling.

It helps to have previous skydiving experience before starting BASE because:

1. You begin to learn to manage the type of endorphin rush you need to do QUICKLY in BASE.

2. You gain INVALUABLE knowledge and understanding of flight characteristics of DIFFERENT canopies before throwing that caution to the wind and hooking your 280 into the talus.

3. It gives you an opportunity to take the time to learn about BASE jumping and apply/practice your skills in a practical setting.

4. It gives you a first chance to decide if BASE is really what you want without screwing things up for everybody (I define that as getting injured or going in on a BASE jump--it makes us ALL look bad).

And Jesse:
in relation to this post, you are being sarcastic, right? What do you see as the definition between canopy "control and canopy "accuracy?" They're two different parts of the same fucking thing man! How do you expect to land ACCURATELY in rocks if you have no idea how to setup to do that? What about in varying wind conditions? At different speeds? With a blown toggle? On rear risers?

Canopy time is MUCHO IMPORTANTE no matter how you stack it up.

[Jess-I know you're probably just shit-stirring, but just in case...]

pope

I hope someday I can be such a "god" like you...NOT!

You haven't a clue of what I've seen over the years.

You're obviously full of yourself and think you have some right to blaze people when you don't agree. F*UCK OFF!

In continuing with the question of Time in skydiving before getting into BASE, I thought I would offer my experience and thoughts.

I got into skydiving because it is cool (I'll probably get flamed for this) with no real intention of getting into BASE. It is cool, and I still love it.

At about 200 jumps and 2 years in the sport I got excited about BASE and really wanted to get into it. I thought that I was ready. I talked to some locals and eventually decided (on my own) that I would wait. I am glad that I did. I know now that there is no way that I was ready. This is just in terms of something I call maturity in skydiving.

Sure, I was young at the time and immature in other ways, but I needed more time to mature in the sport. To experience some fatalities, see what can happen to peoples families and lives and make a decision if BASE was worth it for me. For me I needed around 600 skydives and 6 years in the sport to (what I think is) mature in the sport. The biggest thing for me was time in the sport.

As far as preparation in in skydiving, I didn't do as much as I would have liked, but the more you can do the better. Having to do it again, I would have put at least 100 jumps of a large F-111 7-cell, focused every jump on BASE related things (accuracy etc). I also would have gotten in to crew.

Just some thoughts of mine.

Andrew
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid,
the vast limits of their knowledge. - Mark Twain

so, are we being sarcastic here?

everyone knows I am the only BASE god out there.

and its not called a 'god', I am a jedi. a jedi Master.

You haven't a clue of what I've seen over the years.

You're absolutely right. But what does that have to do with ANYTHING?

I don't recall ever "blazing" anyone in this thread...chill out already.
pope

I'd just like to clarify some things for you there Kaye.

You might be special ... Kaye but Pope is God, and not only that, Pope is my idol and I do not even have idols!

If I ever get the question, dude, do you like to be reborn? The answer will be, only if I can be reborn as Pope. Otherwise I’m fine thank you very much.

PerFlare – Groupie

Maybe my memory is going to sh*t, but I seem to remember Feral telling me he had only two or three skydives when he did his first BASE jump....:S
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

only if I can be reborn as Pope.
PerFlare – Groupie

No Way! this is so disappointing Per--All this time I've been trying to grow my hair out to Jesus length (quite unsuccessfully, BTW) to emulate MY own Jesus-figure, "PerJesus."
Just 'cause you cut it off doesn't mean you don't still have loyal followers PerJesus.

your humble servant,
pope

Hey, it's Pope Chris

Why would anyone want to attempt BASE without prior skydiving experience? I had ~35 to 40 skydives when I did my first jump, a 600 foot cliff. If I was more experienced with skydiving and canopy control I wouldn't have been injured on BASE jumps 101 and 133.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Sometimes you end up over lots of rocks, nothing but rocks... You need to control your canopy so you come in softly a top a rock like your hopping from one rock to another, because theres is no little grassy field to land in accuratly. I see people run out there landings all the time, get a canopy you can stop all motion with one foot off the ground. You will be able to land on rocks in trees on hot girls where ever you must. That is why control is more important than accuracy. Although when you can combine the two you become Jedi like Calvin!
Symmetry doesn't matter.

skills that most skydivers don't EVER learn.

And what percentage of BASE jumpers learn those skills?
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

get a canopy you can stop all motion with one foot off the ground.

When will they start making these canopies?
Take care,
space

I started to jump at 16 with no skydives and n tandems. I had 8 BASE before my first tandem and 15 before my static line course.

What is your analysis?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Sometimes you end up over lots of rocks, nothing but rocks... You need to control your canopy so you come in softly a top a rock like your hopping from one rock to another, because theres is no little grassy field to land in accuratly. I see people run out there landings all the time, get a canopy you can stop all motion with one foot off the ground. You will be able to land on rocks in trees on hot girls where ever you must. That is why control is more important than accuracy. Although when you can combine the two you become Jedi like Calvin!

This is semantics. You're saying the same thing I have been--which is that accuracy is a PART of canopy control! Maybe what we should be saying is that what's most important is having the EXPERIENCE under canopy/canopies in order to gain that control you speak of.
And to be less subtle than Space, it's the pilot, not the canopy that controls (or doesn't control in many cases) the landing, including accuracy, approach speed, and approach angle, (all within the limits of the wing).

$0.02
pope

like that talus at the bottom of the really really big rock?

I agree, but I think everyone has over looked another group of people that transition well to flying BASE canopies (that have no skydiving experience). Those being PG pilots.

"HIGAF" Honestly I Give A F*^%

Speeking of paraglider pilots, does anyone know if any PG's fly without the chair thing. Just a regular parachute harness? I'm guessing the main reason for the chair is lower wind resistance and so you don't get tired of holding your legs up, but I saw a guy stall his wing on a TV show the other day and it appeared that him being in that sitting position is what lead to his broken back. It was a 15ish foot fall and it seems like it wouldn't have been that bad if he could have plf'd.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman