Stumpy

Quick Cypres Question

Could someone please help - i am looking at a Cypres DOM 9/96 which has not had any services and also needs batteries.
My options are - as far as i can tell
1. avoid like the plague
2. Buy, and service now(4yr), and then service again before december (8yr):S
3. Buy, just put new batteries in for now and wait to get it serviced until september (if so, would a rigger install it in my new rig without it being serviced first and would this be a particularly bad idea)

I am really keen to get hold of a cypres for my new rig and my budget to have something that is ready to go is about 4-500 dollars. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Blues
dave
Never try to eat more than you can lift

It cannot be packed if it is not up to date. The value of the cypres in that state (never having a 4-year and very close to 8 year, but not close enough to get the 8-year now....) is very low.

How much are you paying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

AFAIK you'll have to get the 4 yr service done before it can be installed.

Depending on the price I'd say buy it, get the 4yr and batteries taken care of (US$250-ish), install it and jump until December. Then get the 8 yr done and you're good to go until it needs batteries again in '06.

It's not like you're jumping in December anyway, right? ;):P

Not unless i go to the empuriabrava xmas boogie!! Or come out and visit all you folks in the us..... (when i win the lottery!)

(btw lisa, i had started typing you a pm but then i stopped because i figured i had annoyed you enough with my questions! ;))

you have a good point though - i might have made enough money to at least start eating again by december...:S
Never try to eat more than you can lift

They want 200$ for it - but plus batteries and service would take it over 400 - correct?

About $250.00 for service, so $450.00. That is decent.

But to make it worth you while you better go jump your butt off!

Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

But, it's another $180 next winter. If it only needed one service, it's only worth about $260. Needing two in a row I'd say it's worth $100 right now. This is based on the calculator, $950 replacement, $75 battery, $180 service ($160 plus shipping two ways.). Two hundred is really twice what it should be worth, unless your desparate for a cheaper cypres.

Translate to Euorpean prices for the above items.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

get the 4yr and batteries taken care of (US$250-ish), install it and jump until December. Then get the 8 yr done and you're good to go until it needs batteries again in '06.

You have to have the 4-yr done even if it's 8 yr's old? couldn't you just have the 8 yr done. It just seems slighty ridiculous to me to have it serviced and then re-serviced in less than a year.

It will cost you just a much (well minus a repack maybe). They will always charge a 4 year and a 8 year maintenance even if you do it at 10 years...
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

In this particular case we can see that Cypres maker requirements make the solution very weird. I hope that they would just perform the 8 year maintenance (including batteries change). What are they doing exactely at the 4 year maintenance and at the 8 year ???....does somebody know ?
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I think there is a work-around for this. It would be worth a call to Cypres to check. Owning a Cypres is expensive and sometimes a pain but they do know a thing or two about customer service. If nothing else, buy the damn thing and wait a few months until it is within the window... But buy it cheap.

i am looking at a Cypres DOM 9/96

Um...if the unit was made in 1996, it's expired by Airtec rules. 12 yrs + 3 months max for a Cypres 1. You can trade it in for a $90 credit on a new one, but thats about it.

Also, if a unit has not had a 4 year check and it's due for an 8 year, they will only charge you for the 8 year.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

SEREJumper

i am looking at a Cypres DOM 9/96

Um...if the unit was made in 1996, it's expired by Airtec rules. 12 yrs + 3 months max for a Cypres 1. You can trade it in for a $90 credit on a new one, but thats about it.

Yes, but that wasn't the case in 2004, when the OP posed this question. :P

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

erdnarob

In this particular case we can see that Cypres maker requirements make the solution very weird. I hope that they would just perform the 8 year maintenance (including batteries change). What are they doing exactely at the 4 year maintenance and at the 8 year ???....does somebody know ?

[url]http://www.cypres-usa.com/english_maintenance.pdf

ETA: Don't know how to make it clicky.:(:(

ETA: Apparently, don't know how to make faces, either.

Ken

ksaylor1

***In this particular case we can see that Cypres maker requirements make the solution very weird. I hope that they would just perform the 8 year maintenance (including batteries change). What are they doing exactely at the 4 year maintenance and at the 8 year ???....does somebody know ?

http://www.cypres-usa.com/english_maintenance.pdf

ETA: Don't know how to make it clicky.:(:(

ETA: Apparently, don't know how to make faces, either.

Ken
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message