worldsocold

lowest "A" to do a wingsuit jump from?

just wondering from anybody's experience what the lowest altitude should be on an "A" with a wing suit. assuming you have a decent landing area on all sides.

also looking for links to videos of "A" wingsuit voyages of others from reasonable altitudes.

also looking for DW's "A" through the guy wire act???

thanks and later.
NPS SUX ASS

also looking for DW's "A" through the guy wire act???

there is several diff angles in the ABA vids of this jump.

also Tom has an angel (from the ground) on his site which I think he may have took
can't remember to link to his page though

Did a jump with a Skyflyer 1 from 1000ft ... really no point of doing it.

PerFlare

:P
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

PerFlare

I dont wingsuit base, but exit practice? i guess if there is a tailwind its bad. i saw a freind get blown around pretty good on a 40mph tailwind with a GTI from 1750'. scary.

With a strong tailwind, it's pretty much like diving under the tail of a slow airplane, right? So, "flat & stable" exit won't work, it will cause extreme potato chipping and frantic attempts to regain the control. One should intentionally dive headdown... or do a gainer. ;) What do you think?
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

gainers sound really scary. I have a about 20 tailgate airplane jumps, never done a gainer. I like floaters. (flying above the plane is COOL. probably would be a bad idea on a tower.

PerFlare

I dont wingsuit base, but exit practice? i guess if there is a tailwind its bad. i saw a freind get blown around pretty good on a 40mph tailwind with a GTI from 1750'. scary.

That sounds pretty scary. What a fucking IDIOT!
pope

i've got a "1500'er" in mind i'm not a big fan of wind so i probably won't be doin' any jumping with strong winds.
the tailwind thing is something i'd like to hear more about. also the headlow thing I"m assuming to build up your speed.
i don't know about the gainer thing on an "A" for me, i do them all the time out of otter's and skyvan's but an "A"???!!!
but basically i'm hearing wingsuits + "A" + tailwind = bad times.
so unlike regular "A" jumps you don't want a tailwind at all or is 10 mph ok? or........

thanks to all and later
NPS SUX ASS

PerFlare

That sounds pretty scary. What a fucking IDIOT!
pope

yeah man, I never want to jump with that guy again.

i've got a "1500'er" in mind i'm not a big fan of wind so i probably won't be doin' any jumping with strong winds.
the tailwind thing is something i'd like to hear more about. also the headlow thing I"m assuming to build up your speed.
i don't know about the gainer thing on an "A" for me, i do them all the time out of otter's and skyvan's but an "A"???!!!
but basically i'm hearing wingsuits + "A" + tailwind = bad times.
so unlike regular "A" jumps you don't want a tailwind at all or is 10 mph ok? or........

thanks to all and later

A bunch of years ago I took Yuri out for his first wingsuit 'A'. Exit altitude was around 1800ft. It was blowing pretty hard and Yuri left a bit head high. The wind caught his wings and proceeded to flip him on his back [:/] Being the smooth character he is, Yuri just continued his gainer/barrel roll and jetted down the guy wire attachments. He took a good delay... if you were wondering. The 2nd was better thoughB|. I'll see if I can locate the video.
So if you plan on exiting in high winds I would go into a dive or just get comfortable doing the gainer. Also, make sure you have a decent place to launch from... climbing out through the crossbars on some 'A's can be a bitch even without a wingsuit.

Jason
Night #102

thanks base570. yeah if you had a video to share it would be awesome.
yeah i'm dealing with crossbars. yeah they are a bitch. i'm goin' to use my PF track pants, then maybe the jacket and pant's and then my PF ACRO wingsuit last..

but back to the wind. is no wind better. or is some wind like 5 to 10 mph ok??
and while were on the subject. tracking suit. how is the tailwind from anybody's experience??? same thing or not really because no wings?

thanks and later
NPS SUX ASS

thanks base570. yeah if you had a video to share it would be awesome.
yeah i'm dealing with crossbars. yeah they are a bitch. i'm goin' to use my PF track pants, then maybe the jacket and pant's and then my PF ACRO wingsuit last..

but back to the wind. is no wind better. or is some wind like 5 to 10 mph ok??
and while were on the subject. tracking suit. how is the tailwind from anybody's experience??? same thing or not really because no wings?

thanks and later

Tracking suits are no problem. I would definatly take it slow and work your way up to an antenna flight with a wingsuit... a lot can go wrong[:/]

PM sent:)
Jason

Yo,
For me, around 1200' is as low as I want, I believe anything lower is not going to yield much WS flight performance..FOR ME. That's not to say I wouldn't huck from a grand with my Prodigy, I just don't expect much. There are pilots who can fly far from 1000', but I think they are are mostly Russian..err I mean American and Croation :).
I have flights from 1200'-1950+' from A's and I just do a normal exit....for me.. Collapsed wings, launch out hard head high a little, slowly spread arms to balance, as my head comes down toward parallel with earth, I extend my legs and fly away. All of my WS A jumps are at night so I don't have any video, and all were with GTI. I think winds are an issue on the bigger suits, but if you stay collapsed long enough, I wouldn't worry about it. Getting a little vertical speed FIRST helps me with stable exits. Of course if you are going from something low, you may emphasize flying faster than falling..?
Anyways, only example I have of what I'm saying is from a cliff in mexico, check it here
http://baserigs.com/docs/photo-video/video/docs/EGWS1.MPG
I learned alot on that flight.

And to echo what 570 said about climbing around on A's....well, he's seen me, its sketchey. I have this fear that the button from my bootie is going to catch in the grating on the platfrom as I launch, sending me into a cartwheeling ping ponging fall down the face of the steel :o
At least that's one scenario I've thought about while riding up. Climbing any ladder with your legwing stowed is a bitch cause you don't want to tear it on anything etc. But I have exited from both platforms and structure, obviously its easier to waddle to the edge, but I can get more altitude usually by climbing higher and exiting from the structure.
Lastly, its the best fun out there so enjoy :)Later
Blair

nice exit/launch!!!

thanx 4 the video and advice. i'm more of a fan of launching closed and easing into flight mode for sure.

later
NPS SUX ASS

A bunch of years ago I took Yuri out for his first wingsuit 'A'. Exit altitude was around 1800ft. It was blowing pretty hard and Yuri left a bit head high. The wind caught his wings and proceeded to flip him on his back [:/]

Oooh, what a funny video it was! I'd love a copy if you can find it. From what i remember i ended up doing a more or less flat 360 ;)

Here's my serious advice: try to ignore the wind. I tumbled because all the way up i was thinking about the wind flipping me over, and my head followed a pre-programmed tumble. In reality the wind is not a big deal at all. 2nd exit an hour later went absolutely perfect - this time i knew the only problem was my own imagination :)
bsbd!

Yuri.

one question??? ok theres yuri-base. his name is yuri. there is outrager. his name is yuri. and i believe i met another yuri in twin falls a little over a year ago and he went to a cliff (about a month later with a friend of mine-she is also russian) in az named after the local cactus plant and had a 90 degree launch and a 90 degree opening and a wall strike on the 450'ish wall. what's his dz.com name??? are all russian born now american BASE jumpers named yuri????;););)

i was assuming yuri-base was the yuri we were talking about??? i'm confused.

later
NPS SUX ASS

one question??? ok theres yuri-base. his name is yuri. there is outrager. his name is yuri. and i believe i met another yuri in twin falls a little over a year ago and he went to a cliff (about a month later with a friend of mine-she is also russian) in az named after the local cactus plant and had a 90 degree launch and a 90 degree opening and a wall strike on the 450'ish wall. what's his dz.com name??? are all russian born now american BASE jumpers named yuri????;););)

i was assuming yuri-base was the yuri we were talking about??? i'm confused.

later

There's really only one Yuri... and thank god for that!!! Although I think most russians named yuri are kinda sketchy:P
Outrager is the real Yuri and has been jumping longer than all the other Yuri's put together! Actually I think the other Yuri's are the illegitimate love children of the real Yuri(416).

I'm pretty sure Yuri-base is the one you're thinking of that had the cliff strike. I can't remember his last name. Was Tom Dancs in the video doing a mother thereasa impersenation with the canopy? If so, it's the same Yuri. I met him in Twin after seeing his cliff strike video and BS'd with him about it.
I've got this really hardcore group of gaurdian angels that need a free paid vacation.
~Dan Osman

i was at work all day til' now.

um it's been awhile since i saw the video.but a russian gal who resides in so. cal. i know was in the video (i don't want to say her name without asking). but from what i remember the yuri i met in twin falls in nov. 2005 around thanksgiving lived in new york city i believe?
anyway i'm still confused. i need 2 jump off something instead of writing about stuff and things. except the damn wind keeps messing with my jumpin'.... the wind...the frigin' wind.....

later
NPS SUX ASS