Chizazz

Oxygn, Z1 or Other???

The newer oxygens don't have the button.
And if you get an older one you can always razor it off or carefully peel away the padding under it and peel it off the padding. Then reattach the padding with some contact cement.

I love those helmets when you gotta have a full face.

I'm probably going to be getting a fullface helmet soon. What are people's thoughts on different ones?? I've worn a Z1 but I wasn't a big fan of the button that you push to open the lense. Gimme your thoughts!!

I LUV my Havok.....I tried several full face and the button thing made me CRAZY on the Z-1 and on the Panther ( Z-1 lookalike) I had issues with fogging here in the moist air of seattle and I kinda like to see the ground before it SMITES ME when I am under canopy.

ON my Havok.. I hit the button on top and the whole face flips up and visibility is complete. I have not had any fogging issues and I cut out a breathining hole in the PAD in front of my mouth where the little screened hole is. LUV it

Oh and the pretty colors actually look GOOOOOD

There are build quality issues with the Z1, but it’s a nice enough helmet overall. I like the way you can lift the visor right out of the way.

I like the Oxygen, I’ve found it very comfy but this will differ from person to person. Many people find the visors become a pain in the ass.

There's also the new FreeZR from paratec. Looks a very nice helmet and is comfy. It’s big though and I suspect they may develop visor issues same as any other. You can only lift the visor a limited amount.
See reviews here:http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/464.html

I jump the Oxygn A3 and love it! I have stopped using the flip up visor as I found the lens started to "crack" after a few months. I now keep it shut and have never had any fogging issues.

On the rare occasion I find myself on a early or late load, I will flip the visor up, for more visibility.

I have never jumped the Z!, but those who have love them, but a friend of mine has lost hers on opening three time now, due to the lack of solid fastening systems (my opinion). ParaSport is good with replacement parts, so it's no big deal.

Then there is the factory Diver, no moving parts, no fogging.

I would suggest either the Oxygn or Factory Diver. Both are great depends on budget and specifics you want from a helmet.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Z1! You'll get used to the button in no time. I wear gloves on every jump and have no problems opening my Z1 with one gloved hand. As for quality issues, my wife and I have both had our Z1s for years with no problems. Never had the visor open when I didn't want it to, as you hear some say. And for anyone who has lost the helmet on opening, the helmet must be a few sizes too large.

Just my 2 cents....

Rock

I'm probably going to be getting a fullface helmet soon. What are people's thoughts on different ones?? I've worn a Z1 but I wasn't a big fan of the button that you push to open the lense. Gimme your thoughts!!

I have an OXYGN and a Z1. Both about as comfy. I like the OXYGN's fastening method better (the Z1 came undone a few times during a jump). The Z1 visor flips up more easily and is easier to latch before the jump. I had some quality issues with the Z1 (cracks around the face opening, fabric collar coming unglued) and I don't like the way the Z1 hinge bolts stick in towards my temples - bad juju in a side impact!

OXYGN has better visibility, especially down (hard to see my handles with the Z1)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've had an Oxygn A3 for 4-5 years now, and I have no complaints. My fiancee' is looking for a helmet, and I'm suggesting that she get the Z1 because it closes tighter. She wears contacts and is worried about getting stuff in her eyes in freefall. My Oxygn lets in a fair amount of wind which prevents most fogging, but can cause problems for contact lens wearers (IMHO).
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Z1! You'll get used to the button in no time. I wear gloves on every jump and have no problems opening my Z1 with one gloved hand. As for quality issues, my wife and I have both had our Z1s for years with no problems. Never had the visor open when I didn't want it to, as you hear some say. And for anyone who has lost the helmet on opening, the helmet must be a few sizes too large.

You guys got some good ones then. The biggest thing I see out here with the Z1 is the lens seems to want to come out and people have been losing them during deployment. I agree with another poster about the helmet not seeming very secure in the way that it is tightened up. I have seen them come open in free fall and in the wind tunnel. TO be fair I jump an Oxygn A3 and it has never fogged or come open on me in the sky or the tunnel, but I have seen the visor get ripped off of two of them in the tunnel.

I guess it just depends on what look you like. ME I would rather have the Oxygen and if I lose a lens, oh well. I don't think it would ever come off my head unless I didn't strap it on or didn't replace the velcro when it needed it.

Just my .02
Dom

Z1 is too small and confined, harder to breathe Oxygn is great and so is Factory Diver.More visibilty and stronger helmet overall. May be a bit heavier.
I take the visors off and use Sorz goggles or whatever.
Can't stand the visors. Need some air and better visibilty. Feels more like a skydive than being a boy in the bubble.No fog problems.Audibles are good. 2 of them is better.

novice here, but for whatever reason, i've just wound up with 3 helmets - a Havok and 2 Z1's.

The Havok's are all made with the same size shell and the fit is done with different sized pad sets. My Havok has an XL pad set. I must have a big freakin' head, coz i can barely, and i mean BARELY get the damn thing on my head. the parts that cover the ears turns in at the bottom and i can --just-- barely get it over my ears. then, the face shield is RIGHT up against my face. No way i could wear my glasses, which is part of the reason i wanted a full face.

The two Z1's fit ok. still a little small for my liking, but at least i can get it on without killing my ears. but even with this one, there is NO WAY i could wear my glasses. i haven't jumped it yet, but it does seem to me as though the chin strap is less than totally secure - i could see how it might come off. (not mine though, coz it'll be held on by the friction fit!)

When i rode motorcycles i always had a full face helmet. These seem to fit completely differently than motorcycle helmets. Are they supposed to be so close to the face? is any particular brand/model known to be larger to where glasses become a possibility?

I know my head is large and that i might have issues getting a good helmet fit - for one thing, those "one size fits all" baseball caps? Never, ever, ever found one that fits.

so for now, i'll wear the z1 with contacts...
Michael Hart

When i rode motorcycles i always had a full face helmet. These seem to fit completely differently than motorcycle helmets. Are they supposed to be so close to the face? is any particular brand/model known to be larger to where glasses become a possibility?

The Paratek helmets are fairly new in the U.S. They seem to be the answer for folks that have bigger heads and need to put there glasses on under the helmet. The way that they fit is longer then most helmets. They also have one shell size at this time and it's a matter of changing out the liners to find the right size.

They are made more like motorcycles helmets then U.S. Helmets. In Fact after getting a visit from Ken (their main guy in the U.S.) we learned that they are made by a compnay that makes racing helmets for F! racing. The visors on them are really nice and molded. The look like they are going to last a real long time., but when you need a new one it will cost you about 70.00 just for the lens.
Dom